Interesting Stats

Guest ObaStar

3rd Most Goals Conceeded, but under Keegan we picked up a good few clean sheets once we got going.

It's hard to judge a season just looking at the numbers.

Surely our goals conceded is slightly inflated by 4 games (Pompey, Villa, ManUtdx2) in which we gave up 30% of our season's conceded goals.  Admittedly, the defense needs sorting, but perhaps it doesn't need the overhaul some people think.

and should  we ignore Spurs games, Reading at home, and Bolton away and take our goals scored down to 32, or less than a goal a game ?

Bad/good results happen, you can't just ignroe them

Butt has his uses, but I think Geremi is the better all round player of the two.

Also, when others talk about Owen not working half as well in a 442 as in a 433, I think they should be pointing their finger at Butt for this before they turn on our Number Ten.

This. and other midfielders as well, generally were all crap in 442

Exactly, the reason the 4-3-3 worked is because we had more outlets on the pitch... Viduka able to hold up the ball and knock it to Oba or Owen. Owen coming deep to collect. Oba's pace. The odd driving run from Barton.

In the 4-4-2 the strikers were isolated and no one in midfield is a strong enough player to create anything going forward.

I'd agree with that. We saw the result when key elements were missing yesterday.

Can't find stats for the last 16 (Keegans) games and I'm not working it out myself, but in the last 8 games....

Scored 14 (5th best)

Conceded 8 (4th best)

Points 14 (5th best)

That's all that I'm bothered about.  I know stats from Allardyce's time were bad, that's why he got sacked.

Nice way of looking at things. As long as things hold together over the summer and we get some good players in (not brilliant, just good would do me) then next season could still be a good one when you take those sort of stats into account.

If Keegan can do that with a team including some inadequate players and barely a bench worthy of note since he arrived, then it's exciting to think what he could do with a few new players in the squad.

Nice note to go to bed on.