2012 Olympics - Great Britain football team, Fergie manager?

Fatwax

Lord Coe has told Sky Sports News he would like to see Sir Alex Ferguson manage the Great Britain football team at the 2012 Olympics.

A Great Britain football team for the London Olympics has been a subject of debate for some time and Coe is all for it.

Coe, the chair of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games, confirmed holding informal discussions with the Manchester United boss but did not divulge whether the Scot was interested in the post.

"I would love to see Alex coach the team," Coe told Sky Sports News.

"I can't think of anybody that frankly (more) deserves at the end of a stunning career to be in charge of young players here.

He added: "I've spoken to Alex.

"We know each other. We're good friends."

Chelsea fan Coe's bid to land Ferguson first came to light two months ago, at which time United expressed a relaxed attitude about the approach.

Ferguson was thought to be intrigued by the offer but reluctant to accept were it to interfere with his duties at Old Trafford.

Door open

The concept of a British team, which last entered the Olympic qualifying tournament with an amateur side in 1972, is controversial.

Both the Scottish Football Association and the Football Association of Wales are opposed to it, with the former indicating they will attempt to block Scottish players from being picked to play.

One of the reasons for their stance is the fear Fifa could strip the home nations of their special status, which guarantees each nation voting rights within the organisation.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter initially claimed this would not be the case, but more recently said a British team should consist exclusively of English players.

Coe insisted the door would remain "open" should the Scottish and Welsh FAs relax their stances.

"I clearly want the best players - wherever they come from Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England - to be there," added Coe

"But I also recognise it is an issue for the individual football associations and the door is open."

The venues for the football tournament in 2012 are currently limited to England, with Old Trafford, St James' Park, Villa Park and Wembley all to host matches.

Coe said he would "love" to include Glasgow's Hampden Park and Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on the schedule.

But he revealed he would not lobby the Scottish and Welsh associations to change their minds, adding: "I'm not going to get sleepless nights over it."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3565620,00.html

Nice to see SJP as a venue at least.

Guest BudBud

The queen is about fergie's age and she has admitted she will probs have snuffed it by then. Would love to see an England / Scotland team tho, especially with some of the young boys coming out of both countries

Annoying as f*** that there isnt a Great Britain team for the Olympics. Its a big competition, and quite importantly, its a good chance for "more developed" youth to be given experience on the big stage.

And surely, even if no reconciliation between the various FA's is not possible, there is no harm in there being a play-off between the four nations to field a team at the olympics as has been suggested in various places? England on papaer would win every time, even with an under 23 team, but the FA Cup this year is concrete proof that bigger names or better players doesnt guarantee success, and the same applies with the 1-0 win for N.I. a few years ago.