Today's Paper Talk.... (It's May btw)

Guest johnson293

so he took racing to 6th place....erm good achievment, but it would disgraceful if we replaced KK with him based on that!

Perhaps the club see him as a highly rated young manager who would work well with the youth policy they're trying to implement into the club.

I don't think Keegan is as popular behind the scenes as he is on the terraces lets just say.

It's certainly not an outrageous concept that they may be thinking of moving Keegan on and bringing in a younger man who they may feel more comfortable with, if there are problems with Keegan behind the scenes that is.

It'd be an incredible risk to take mind you, getting rid of a fans hero like Keegan and replacing him with someone that 99% of our fans will never have even heard of. Marcelino has done well in his very short managerial career so far, but he's not proven class by any means and could easily be a complete disaster.

That said this guy could be the next big thing in management for all we know, and getting him in now could end up being an absolute masterstroke.

I think it's probably too risky for them to seriously consider though.

They'd instantly lose the backing of most if not all the fans if they got rid of Keegan now. It'd be PR suicide, and they'd have to be utterly brainless to not know it.

If KK got sacked or walked because he was being undermined, Ashley will be the only bloke at SJP with a Toon top on other than the players on the pitch next season as fans would walk with KK.

Heard all this before, many many times ; fans just WON'T stop going to SJP. whether KK goes or not.

IF the board appointed a new manager with a half-decent record, there would NOT be a boycott - its just wishful thinking...as soon as the team started doing reasonably well, the vast majority would be straight back to their seats.

It wasn't until SJH appeared on the scene AND the team started losing that the fans eventually saw that some sort of boycott was necessary.Things are totally different this time and as long as results were decent and a few decent players signed, nothing would happen.

Fans have stopped going before and certainly could do again, if my memory serves me right NUFC fans for change where on the scene before SJH and in fact it was this that encouraged him, could be wrong there right enough. It wasnt just losing a few games which kicked off the boycott but a genuine disgruntlement with how the club was being run.

You may be right in saying that as long as the team was winning fans would turn up again i'm not too sure.

They could not possibly replace KK before season ticket renewels and if they did it afterwards i think the betrayal would undo any decent work this board have done so far and they would lose the fans.

I'm pretty sure this wont happen like and KK will sign a few diamonds in the summer to set us up for a solid season after which with massive financial backing it will be onwards and upwards and after we win the Premiership Carling cup FA cup and Champions League Mike Ashley will ride off on his white charger to cure world poverty.

Have a look at attendances during Season 1988-89, which was when the club signed Robertson(Hearts), Thorn & Beasant(Wimbledon) and John Hendrie(Bradford City) after selling Gazza to Spurs...the place was packed , simply because the club had spent big money on these players and only Hendrie was anything like a success...relegation followed...this was also the season that SJH had declared his takeover bid....

In 89-90, the club failed to win promotion after losing at home to the Mackems in the play-offs and again had some very decent attendances.

The only time there has been a serious boycott at SJP was the final home game of 77-78 against Norwich AFTER the club's relegation had been confirmed ; a mere 7,700 turned up which was, of course, a protest gesture.

I say again, there would be NO boycott if KK walked out and was replaced by a decent manager who was given a reasonable budget to spend...there would only be major reaction if someone like Souness got the job again, and that is highly-unlikely.

NUFC fans had 3 or 4 years of managerial cock-ups under Shepherd, they watched the club decline and there was STILL no boycott of any significance - never underestimate the 'we've got to support the Lads whatever happens' syndrome !

The only time i remember the place packed was the home game versus Liverpool (but i missed the first half of the season and didnt get home till January 89) . Attendences must have been generally between 14000 - 28000 at a time when a tenner would get you a seat in the Milburn stand.

The supporters for change boycott must have kicked in before the first game of the season home to Leeds and i think that the only time we approached full capacity that year was the Man U, Wolves and Sunderland home games.

This current board sacked a deeply unpopular Sam Allardyce who was vastly underachieving and who was not their choice of manager. I do not think they would get away with replacing Keegan with whoever quite so easily. He is their choice, massively popular and whoever they where to replace him with would have no guarantees of success with or without financial backing  As you state a full boycott would not happen but a even a few thousand empty seats would be more noticeable now. When the supporters for change where holding their protest we where a nothing club expected to struggle in the old Div 1 and then ponce around in Division 2 it was what we did best apart from being unambitious and selling our best talent.

All this is immaterial, bar being a good trip down memory lane as I really dont think that they would be insane enough to replace Keegan with Marcelino or anyone else.

Guest Knightrider

so he took racing to 6th place....erm good achievment, but it would disgraceful if we replaced KK with him based on that!

Perhaps the club see him as a highly rated young manager who would work well with the youth policy they're trying to implement into the club.

I don't think Keegan is as popular behind the scenes as he is on the terraces lets just say.

It's certainly not an outrageous concept that they may be thinking of moving Keegan on and bringing in a younger man who they may feel more comfortable with, if there are problems with Keegan behind the scenes that is.

It'd be an incredible risk to take mind you, getting rid of a fans hero like Keegan and replacing him with someone that 99% of our fans will never have even heard of. Marcelino has done well in his very short managerial career so far, but he's not proven class by any means and could easily be a complete disaster.

That said this guy could be the next big thing in management for all we know, and getting him in now could end up being an absolute masterstroke.

They'd instantly lose the backing of most if not all the fans if they got rid of Keegan now. It'd be PR suicide, and they'd have to be utterly brainless to not know it.

If KK got sacked or walked because he was being undermined, Ashley will be the only bloke at SJP with a Toon top on other than the players on the pitch next season as fans would walk with KK.

Heard all this before, many many times ; fans just WON'T stop going to SJP. whether KK goes or not.

IF the board appointed a new manager with a half-decent record, there would NOT be a boycott - its just wishful thinking...as soon as the team started doing reasonably well, the vast majority would be straight back to their seats.

It wasn't until SJH appeared on the scene AND the team started losing that the fans eventually saw that some sort of boycott was necessary.Things are totally different this time and as long as results were decent and a few decent players signed, nothing would happen.

Fans won't stop, no. But a big number will decide that's enough for them if KK was to get the chop or decided to walk because he was being undermined, a big enough number to hit the club's coffers and see large quantity of seats empty on MOTD. Not Boro empty, but by our standards...

Remember the climate we're in too, prices rising, economy on the slide, fans in generall sick of footy and so on and so on. Even today where things are OK at the moment, many fans are just waiting for the right excuse to jack it all in. I could name you several people I know like that, all older generation fans I might add, and we all know they make up the majority demographic. Can only be betrayed so many times. When KK was reappointed that was Ashley and Co saying we want what you want, we want good football and happy times with someone we can all get behind. They resold us the dream. Take that away and I reckon there would be mutiny on Tyneside of the kind never witnessed before.

Fans won't stop, no. But a big number will decide that's enough for them if KK was to get the chop or decided to walk because he was being undermined, a big enough number to hit the club's coffers and see large quantity of seats empty on MOTD. Not Boro empty, but by our standards...

Remember the climate we're in too, prices rising, economy on the slide, fans in generall sick of footy and so on and so on. Even today where things are OK at the moment, many fans are just waiting for the right excuse to jack it all in. I could name you several people I know like that, all older generation fans I might add, and we all know they make up the majority demographic. Can only be betrayed so many times. When KK was reappointed that was Ashley and Co saying we want what you want, we want good football and happy times with someone we can all get behind. They resold us the dream. Take that away and I reckon there would be mutiny on Tyneside of the kind never witnessed before.

Success is relative - many younger fans think that being top 10 in the Prem is all NUFC can expect ; I remember, when I was 21 and a young Rep visiting Langley Park, SBRs birthplace and talking to a store manager about NUFC ; we had just won the Fairs Cup 2 months' earlier....

'Do you go to Newcastle?' he queried when I started on about it all,'I used to back in the 50s whe they had a great team & we won the FA Cup 3 times in 5 years, but I won't go now, its all run badly, terrible board'.... etc etc..

I was stunned at the time, but now I can see what he meant ; winning the UEFA Cup is a dream for many fans, but back in 69 we thought it was just the start of major success...the rest is history..

I DO buy the economic arguments about fans thinking twice about tickets, but NOT the organised boycott one, although I would liek to be proved wrong if things go pear-shaped.

Look boycotts have never worked and never will! as there will always be a majority that will continue to go whether the board sacked a popular Manager or not. If you think they were to sack Keegan then a majority of the fans will boycott the club, then you are living in dream land there will be a few rumblings but that would be about it really.