Sun: Owen offered £140,000 deal

David Icke - Son of God

performance related pay is the way forward for footballers - IF they can get the agreement of the PFA etc

Completely agree, but I just don't see it happening. The players are in far too strong a position now.

also too greedy to give a toss about their fellow union members at the bottom end of the ladder

Anybody think that this story and the Saviola speculation could be to put pressure on Owen? We seem to be much more open about Saviola than previous targets and as has been said this £140k could be the very top end of an incentive package. If he turns it down looks like a greedy bastard while alternatives are being lined up.

So, according to th stats in the original posts article, using my microsoft calculator it would mean he would cost a total of £21,840,000 over the three years.

The wage increase, 40k p/w, would come to £6,240,000 over the three years.

God knows what he has cost since he has been here (wages, transfer fee, signing on fee, bonuses, training, medical expenses).

It's total insanity that we are paying that much. My head says 'screw him, if he thinks he is worth that he can get to f***' but sadly it's becoming pretty normal.

At the same time, i wonder how much we have made from this guy?

Sponsors, airtime, shirtsales, ekstra viewers because its Owen etc etc

Would be kind of interesting

Actually good point.

Man, football buisness just goes over my head, it amazes me how they make any money at all with the amount they pump in.

How much did a season ticket cost this year out of interest?

I would guess very little because he's been injured most of the time - which means airtime, extra viewers etc would be few and fair between, and he's pretty much yesterday's news when it comes to being a star player. Theres nothing in his game that would make you want to switch on and watch him purely because he's playing, unless you like seeing a few neat little passes and off-the-ball runs into the box that usually dont get picked out.

In terms of the bigger picture, he's probably cost us more than appointing Souness did. We bent over backwards to build a team around him and essentially built a house on sand which crumbled quicker than you could say "O Lord Shepherd, Grant Us Good Weather For This Years Fair Harvest" - no hindsight necessary at the time to forsee that.

Pretty similar to the Shearer signing + squad dismantling in terms of gambling the fate of the side on one star player.

Quite good with contingency planning the previous board were...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:yzZxmo3dH4wp_M:http://communitiesonline.homestead.com/files/troll_2.jpg

Guest rosstoon

140k over 3 years equals is £21.84 million. If we want to sign a proven goalscorer we would have to pay £15m at least. plus £100k per week in wages which equals just over £30m over 3 years. What we have to remember is the current state of the team on the pitch and our current position top rate players will not want to join us. I for 1 do not agree that we should pay him this (if reported correctly) but I feel that we are better off with him and financially better off with him

140k over 3 years equals is £21.84 million. If we want to sign a proven goalscorer we would have to pay £15m at least. plus £100k per week in wages which equals just over £30m over 3 years. What we have to remember is the current state of the team on the pitch and our current position top rate players will not want to join us. I for 1 do not agree that we should pay him this (if reported correctly) but I feel that we are better off with him and financially better off with him

You are forgetting the transfer fee we could get if we were to sell him now. Plus, we could get a younger player with resale value and less injury problems around whom we could build a squad for years to come.

Why the hell do we want someone with "resale value"? Would sooner keep Owen for another 3 years and let him go for nothing in 4 years time.

Strange comment. It was in reply to rosstoon saying we would be better off financially even if we offered Owen a 140k/wk deal, yet he forgot about a possible incoming transfer fee and resale value of an alternative striker. You may not think these things are important, but they will be so to Ashley. For me, Owen is a good striker, yet he has proved unrealiable in terms of fitness so you can't realistically build a team around him. He is also no longer amongst the best in the business, and if we can cash on him now and replace him with a younger striker with the potential to be better we may well be better off in the long run, both on the pitch and financially.

Considering Owen's quoted wages have increased from £80k to £120k in less than three years, I'm inclined to not believe whatever the papers have to say as it is probably a 150% exaggeration of the truth.

He's probably been offered £93k (plucking out random numbers I know, but so is everyone else)

Guest Phil K

also too greedy to give a toss about their fellow union members at the bottom end of the ladder

That was shown with the "strike" a couple of years back when it was shown how little these bloated waged bast*rds pay in the top league.

......and how much that tosser who's head of the PFA was getting too...

Guest VegasToon

If he signs, I will finally get an Owen jersey.

i'd sell him without a doubt for 10m+

even if we spent 15m on a replacement striker it's unlikely they'd be getting anything like those wages...then hopefully the replacement would be someone who's physically fit for the majority of the time, and someone of a decent age we could improve

if owen had been fit enough to play even just 20 games a season for us since joining he'd have been a very good signing for the price we paid, as it turned out he's been nowhere near that nor looks to ever be able to acheive it

IF we can cash in do so (big if though) if not then we're just gonna have to shit or get off the pot where he's concerned, i.e. pay the little glassman what he wants or take a gamble no-one else will meet his demands and he'll sign a contract near the end of the season on our terms

even if we spent 15m on a replacement striker it's unlikely they'd be getting anything like those wages...then hopefully the replacement would be someone who's physically fit for the majority of the time, and someone of a decent age we could improve

if owen had been fit enough to play even just 20 games a season for us since joining he'd have been a very good signing for the price we paid, as it turned out he's been nowhere near that nor looks to ever be able to acheive it

IF we can cash in do so (big if though) if not then we're just gonna have to shit or get off the pot where he's concerned, i.e. pay the little glassman what he wants or take a gamble no-one else will meet his demands and he'll sign a contract near the end of the season on our terms

24 starts last season

24 starts last season

look just fuck off with your "facts" would you?

;)

If he signs, I will finally get an Owen jersey.

This one?

http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/33-59/33-59925-F.jpg

24 starts last season

look just fuck off with your "facts" would you?

;)

I blame Dave :nods:

Don't believe it for a second however if he was banging 30+ goals in a season i'd have no problem with it.

But when is he ever going to manage a full season again!  If it is true i'd be very shocked to say the least

if he was banging 30+goals a season, i would give him 200k a week