Sun: Owen offered £140,000 deal

David Icke - Son of God

Guest Christian Hayne

does it really matter what hes earning? if he can get himself fit we all know he will score goals, look what he did at the end of last season he can get to that form again.

i know hes been here for a long time and hardly done anything but the injuries hes had could hardly be helped, and those niggling injuries are because of those long lay-offs, get him back this season and i think we will see the real michael owen, and i trust Keegan with his judgement.

Its just the Sun trying to put a negative spin on him signing a new contract, where would the fun be for them in reporting he has signed a 4 year 60-70k per week contract??? Its reported as 140k to make us look silly, and wind our fans up, and looking at this thread quite a few have took the bait.

Ignoring the figures mentioned, as they are undoubtedly fictional, I'll say only this:

Ashley has shown he is a tough negotiator and I'm sure that the real contract will see Owen handsomely rewarded but it will probably be based on appearances given his injury record. That would be a fair deal for everyone concerned.

Guest icemanblue

IT'S THE FUCKING SUN, MAN!!!

Amazing how it can go from gutter press to gospel, depending on some peoples agendas!

Guest icemanblue

IT'S THE FUCKING SUN, MAN!!!

Amazing how it can go from gutter press to gospel, depending on some peoples agendas!

Who's taking it as truth?

Quite a few people, judging by the last three pages.

The Sun's figures (made up no doubt) aren't important, is he actually signing?  We have to face facts here, he's got us over a barrel and can probably push for another silly high contract.

so...the press think we are doing shit and so owen is getting a pay cut.

we get one decent result, the press think we may do well this season and now we are ofering him a pay rise?

my guess, neither of them are true, they're full of shite man.

Don't believe it for a second however if he was banging 30+ goals in a season i'd have no problem with it.

But when is he ever going to manage a full season again!  If it is true i'd be very shocked to say the least

The Sun once again will have made that story up.

I dont think the money on offer will be such an issue with him myself. 

I think that once he sees we are going to be a force again he will be happy to sign a new contract, If we look as though we are having another season of struggle like last year he wont and I wouldnt blame him.

He doesnt have to rush, he can walk out at the end for free cant he if the latter scenario pans out.

We, the fans, are the only ones stuck at the club with no option to leave.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Did we really reject an £8 million offer for James Milner or is that rubbish too...

I would accept that right away!

The only discussion here is how stupid the press look again, how has it gone from a pay cut to a pay rise in such a short time?  It just proves that you can't take anything they print seriously, not that the obvious should need saying.

At the end of the day, Owen has us by the short and curlies.

All the talk of him taking a wage cut is optimistic, if you ask me. I'd personally be amazed if he stays on less money than he's currently getting.

Not saying he deserves more, but I'll not be surprised to see him keep his wedge or even increase it.

From the same 'news'paper today:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1577417.ece

IPSWICH have agreed a fee for Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi.

Ameobi, 26, had a loan spell at Stoke last season after falling behind Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins and Mark Viduka at St James' Park.

And with the Toon strapped for cash, boss Kevin Keegan has sanctioned the move.

Ipswich manager Jim Magilton said: "We have agreed a fee with Newcastle for Shola and he spent yesterday at the club having a medical.

"We've had a good chat and things are moving on.

"He will be with us again today and hopefully we can get it all tied up."

Hmm.