General Australian Football Thread

Raconteur
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

and i'm going on record to say COME ON THE VICTORY!  :pow:

Follow Sun'lan too do ya?  ;D

I'd honestly say lower League 1.

FAIL.

Try upper League 1 / Lower Championship & you might have a clue!

Nah, you FAIL.

All of the Championship sides would belt nearly every A-League side, the better sides (Adelaide Utd ;)) would be competitive in League 1.

I'd be willing to put my life savings on that.

Guest Gh0StFaC3

The game has several structural problem that inhibit it's development.....

....there will never be enough money here to keep players, that there is an active media campaign to subvert football, that we are geographically isolated, mistrusted by our new Asian partners and despised by Oceania on whom we turned our backs.

Obviously, there will never be enough money to keep our BEST players, but you can say the same for the Eredivisie or Ligue 1... it doesn't stop those leagues from being entertaining, competitive & brimming with talented players... nor should it prevent ours from being the same.

Any media campaign to subvert football in this country can only be proven of channel 7's disgusting handling of their broadcast rights for the old NSL.  You can point to various other media coverage (or lack thereof) since then, but it's more circumstantial & opinion based than obvious fact.  Sure, some of the media may be looking out for their own interests at present (see AFL, League etc.) but that will change as soon as they buy into the game - which brings me back to my point of football fans in Australia getting actively involved in the game & forcing the media mogul's hands to compete for broadcast rights & report on it in their tv programs & newspaper columns.

Being geographically isolated doesn't affect the success of our local game in any way.. in fact, it probably helps by minimising the player exodus to some extent.  Same deal with any contempt which may or may not be held by the Oceania confederation.

Show me some examples of "our asian partners" despising us??  The only example I can think of is when officials from Kuwait questioned our admission into Asia.. a feeling that appears to have eased with time & is actually the opposite in many cases throughout the confederation.

* Personal opinion but having a club from another nation, affiliated with a different association benefits our game in no way shape or form. Better for NZ to have their own serious league and include the island nations in some way. This not only dovetails nicely with NZ's "national outlook" of liberalism and fair go that we used to be known for while allowing them to take ownership of developing football in Oceania as a whole.

Spot on!!  :pow:

Guest Gh0StFaC3

Nah, you FAIL.

All of the Championship sides would belt nearly every A-League side, the better sides (Adelaide Utd ;)) would be competitive in League 1.

Betting only interests me if the wager is more than $10  :razz:

Nah, you FAIL.

Betting only interests me if the wager is more than $10  :razz:

:p

Damn!

Obviously, there will never be enough money to keep our BEST players, but you can say the same for the Eredivisie or Ligue 1... it doesn't stop those leagues from being entertaining, competitive & brimming with talented players... nor should it prevent ours from being the same.

Any media campaign to subvert football in this country can only be proven of channel 7's disgusting handling of their broadcast rights for the old NSL.  You can point to various other media coverage (or lack thereof) since then, but it's more circumstantial & opinion based than obvious fact.  Sure, some of the media may be looking out for their own interests at present (see AFL, League etc.) but that will change as soon as they buy into the game - which brings me back to my point of football fans in Australia getting actively involved in the game & forcing the media mogul's hands to compete for broadcast rights & report on it in their tv programs & newspaper columns.

Being geographically isolated doesn't affect the success of our local game in any way.. in fact, it probably helps by minimising the player exodus to some extent.  Same deal with any contempt which may or may not be held by the Oceania confederation.

Show me some examples of "our asian partners" despising us??  The only example I can think of is when officials from Kuwait questioned our admission into Asia.. a feeling that appears to have eased with time & is actually the opposite in many cases throughout the confederation.

Kuwait questioned our admission? It took more than a decade before they let us in - and now we're in, we're a threat to the established order of Saudi Arabia, Korea and Japan, and the smaller nations just get their slim chance further reduced. Added to which a 2018 World Cup bid will see us on a collision course with China. Don't think we're welcome in Asia...

And we don't do ourselves and favours either. Did you watch SBS World Sport tonight? Some FFA official talking about an Island team which could lead to A-League qualification into Oceania as well as Asian continental competition and thus two bites at qualification to the World Club Championship. The commentary went on to talk about this Island team being a trade off for votes in Australia's 2018 World Cup bid. Shameless.

You're right about every league other than Spain, Italy and England export their best players, but it comes down to where the bar is - David Carney left for Sheffield United for God's sake. Look through that list of internationals in the first post - why are players like Beauchamp in Denmark and Burns in Romania?

Personally, the standard isn't there - it would take me an hour get to a Victory game, but I'd rather watch a local team in the depths of the Victorian leagues. I can watch ex-Socceroo Adrian Cervinski play every weekend if I felt so inclined :lol: