history lesson

womblemaster

"Anyway the Northumbrian tartan is actually regarded as the first ever tartan, predating even Scottish tartan's, "

i dont think thats accurate, as the celtic tribes used to wear checked trousers.  as depicted by the bard in asterix and other folk from gaul.  SO it may actually be a pattern that was around pre roman times!

scottish tartan is argued to be a fictional invention of walter scott, circa 1780 or something.  However there must be some evidence for older tartans in scottish history.

tbh i would have though that we chose B+W strips as no other team in the league in 1893 wore them ??  just guessing.  maybe notts county or wba wore them first?

the 1888-89 season did NOT have the following teams in:

newcastle, liverpool, manchesterx2, arsenal, spurs,

infact it was only formed from teams in the middle of the country.  clubs from south of birmingham and north of liverpool, applied for entry within 5 years.

so actually its a trick question :)

"A second division was added by absorbing the rival Football Alliance in 1892, and by 1899 it had 36 member clubs. "   possibly newcastle were in the football alliance, not sure....

bizarrely Preston North End won the title the first year(season was 22 games)

Didn't they end up playing at Heaton for a bit? Or I'm sure that's where the east end team played.

I was under the impression that East End played where B&Q is at the top of the Fossway. Dunno where I got that from, and I've never heard any nailed on area other than that.

West End played at St James as was then.

Here's their kits, by the way:-

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Newcastle_United/Newcastle_United.htm

Just bought Joannou's new book about this period, waiting for it to be delivered.

Pretty sure Newcastle United wore a vertically striped Red and White kit at first...believe it or not. I am also led to believe Newcastle East End played at Heaton for a spell, just near Chillingham Road...could be wrong though.

Newcastle East End wore red and white verticle stripes but Newcastle United never did.  Our first strip was a full red shirt with red socks and white shorts.