Adidas pull out of sponsorship deal

Bowie

What happens to the Adidas store?   another cheap Sports Direct Chav shop?

ah see, this is where the sportsdirect.com@st james' park stadium comes into play...

where we'll be selling arsenal, man united, liverpool, chelseas kits as well as our own, and X amount of other tat ... possibly

Adidas is on of the top names in World Sportswear and a very successful company.

They first took over as main sponsors for kit in 1995 by offering the club a hug deal in order to persuade them to drop Asics who were our first sponsors on return to the top League in 93.

Adidas saw NUFC as a club going places, which was why they wanted to be the main kit suppliers and the first new kit(the famous wide stripe thowback to the 20s side)was so well-received that the club sold over 500,000 pounds worth overseas before the UK release - big money back then...

After the departure of SBR and the following years of turmoil, I wondered how long it would be before Adidas wanted out ; to be honest, I would guess that they probably were waiting for a suitable club to show ambition and the fact that Spurs have begun to do OK suits them down to the ground.

They are not a company who make decisions lightly and they will have made their move after a long hard look at the future of NUFC - their decision indicates that they have lost faith in the club's ability to be a top PL side in the future ; the economic situation which will cause a further drift of the country's(remaining)wealth and talent to the SE will have also played a part in their decision to back Spurs.

Sadly, there is no sentiment in business and although Puma is a decent firm, it will not be paying as much as Adidas to sponsor the club. In all honesty, you have to say that if you were an Adidas CEO, you would probably have made the same move.

NUFC will have to adjust to bread & water instead of steak.....on AND off the field.

Guest Alan_Shearer

So there will be a new shirt out next season when we are back in the Prem, am proper pleased I didn't get the lastest one yet.

Will the new shirt last for 2 seasons?

So there will be a new shirt out next season when we are back in the Prem, am proper pleased I didn't get the lastest one yet.

Will the new shirt last for 2 seasons?

Should do, this one is only a one season joby as the Northern Rock sponsorship deal runs out at the end of the season.

Adidas is on of the top names in World Sportswear and a very successful company.

They first took over as main sponsors for kit in 1995 by offering the club a hug deal in order to persuade them to drop Asics who were our first sponsors on return to the top League in 93.

Adidas saw NUFC as a club going places, which was why they wanted to be the main kit suppliers and the first new kit(the famous wide stripe thowback to the 20s side)was so well-received that the club sold over 500,000 pounds worth overseas before the UK release - big money back then...

After the departure of SBR and the following years of turmoil, I wondered how long it would be before Adidas wanted out ; to be honest, I would guess that they probably were waiting for a suitable club to show ambition and the fact that Spurs have begun to do OK suits them down to the ground.

They are not a company who make decisions lightly and they will have made their move after a long hard look at the future of NUFC - their decision indicates that they have lost faith in the club's ability to be a top PL side in the future ; the economic situation which will cause a further drift of the country's(remaining)wealth and talent to the SE will have also played a part in their decision to back Spurs.

Sadly, there is no sentiment in business and although Puma is a decent firm, it will not be paying as much as Adidas to sponsor the club. In all honesty, you have to say that if you were an Adidas CEO, you would probably have made the same move.

NUFC will have to adjust to bread & water instead of steak.....on AND off the field.

This would all make perfect sense but for one slightl flaw....They make Boro's kits FFS

What happens to the Adidas store?   another cheap Sports Direct Chav shop?

ah see, this is where the sportsdirect.com@st james' park stadium comes into play...

where we'll be selling arsenal, man united, liverpool, chelseas kits as well as our own, and X amount of other tat ... possibly

Unfortunatley, thats a very good point

Guest johnson293

This would all make perfect sense but for one slightl flaw....They make Boro's kits FFS

...and Derby, and Plymouth Argyle, and Peterborough's kits!

Seems Adidas maybe aren't as 'exclusive' or 'Selective' as they used to be.

..For HOW long ? As I said, they look long & hard before acting and Steve Gibson has probably been the main reason why they haven't jumped ship yet - wait until the contract is up for renewal....don't forget that Boro had the best academy system in the NE.

..For HOW long ? As I said, they look long & hard before acting and Steve Gibson has probably been the main reason why they haven't jumped ship yet - wait until the contract is up for renewal....don't forget that Boro had the best academy system in the NE.

So why don't they make Crewe's kits?

...and you think that these clubs will be getting the same sort of money that NUFC & now Spurs are getting...!?

...and you think that these clubs will be getting the same sort of money that NUFC & now Spurs are getting...!?

they will be getting one appropriate to their position, as we will.

correct, and should we get promoted that will be more than if we're in the championship, though it wont be as much as the old deal simply because when that deal was made we were regulars in europe still.

Guest guinness_fiend

It is fairly obvious that Adidas have elected not to renew the contract for a combination of four reasons:

1.  the negative press surrounding Mike Ashley's tenure at the club and the negative brand associations caused by the same;

2.  the estranged relationship between Sports Direct and sporting goods manufacturers (including Adidas);

3.  the possible stalling of contract negotiations (most likely caused by Adidas offering less than what Ashley and co. value the sponsorship rights of the club at (whether correctly or otherwise); and

4.  the consolidation of its sponsorship portfolio as a consequence of the recession, with Adidas looking to renew its valuable contracts (reciprocally-speaking) and cut off those perceived as more of a liability over a three year plus contract.

I would suggest that the third and fourth points are the most likely to have resulted in the current situation.  Also, none of us have been privy to the contract negotiations (if any) and it may well be that, given the financial situation of the club and Ashley wanting to recoup as much as possible before a sale takes place, we may have asked for the sponsorship money up front, rather than over a few years, not unlike our deal with Northern Rock.  This is, of course, just speculation, but such an agreement would have been a sweetener for any potential buyer, who would take comfort in the fact that a guaranteed some would line their pockets (or that of the club) come the new season.  Conversely, Adidas would want to spread the sum over a few years for balance sheet purposes.

That Adidas will no longer be our sponsor next season is no big shakes.  Aside from ruining our home kit and away kit, whether on advice from the club or otherwise, and creating lush third kits that we never see our team wear, they've not been great of late.  I would welcome a company such as Puma on board, as they would likely offer a reasonable sum upfront, with an annual figure payable, along with performance-related bonuses that are based upon success in the Premiership (I hope) or in the Championship (i.e. getting promoted).

Puma tend to be quite reliable, kit wise, in my opinion.  I know that some people have issues where they put their logo, but it doesn't really concern me.  As long as (a) we have a decent home kit; and (b) they put an acceptable level of coin into the club, we could be sponsored by Al-Qaeda for all I care.

correct, and should we get promoted that will be more than if we're in the championship, though it wont be as much as the old deal simply because when that deal was made we were regulars in europe still.

makes sense.

Guest neesy111

I think this is paper bollock's as percentage wise as fanbase, we are the highest in the UK for buying shirts, adidas would be throwing away quite a bit of profit here

i know adidas don't want to be associated with our turmoil, but who'd say "oh i'd love those adidas trainers, but they make Newcastle's kit so maybe I shouldn't"? I know it sounds silly, but our problems aren't associated with adidas in any way. So unless Ashley is demanding more money, they'd be silly to turn down money - our replica kits sell by the boat load.

What's a "hug deal" btw?