Managers + tactics

Taylor Swift

"I don’t agree about any of this. We are a team which adapts to the reality which is why Arsenal cannot beat Bolton at Bolton and why Chelsea, under me, have played three matches and got three victories at Bolton with zero goals conceded.

"The best football is the football adapted to the circumstances. You cannot play against Bolton at Bolton the same way you play at home against Watford. My feeling is that some teams and some managers play every game with the same philosophy, with the same game strategy and principles. Sometimes they beat someone 6-0 and sometimes they lose a game they shouldn’t lose.

"One of the strengths is to adapt to different realities which is what I am trying to do with Chelsea in England and Chelsea in Europe.

"Chelsea cannot play in Europe the same way it plays in England."

Not enough managers realize this.

BUT FOR FUCKS SAKE. 4-5-1 @ OLD TRAFFORD?!?!?! DOES ROEDER WANT US TO LOSE!?!?!?!?

but nice post.

Carrick, Scholes & Giggs - and the latter has been drifting inside off-the-ball....... it must have something to do with Carrick's vision & distribution in their own half - have been tearing teams apart through the middle. It's understandable why any rival manager, whether it be Mourinho or anyone else, would attempt to choke up the centre of the park by going 4-5-1 at Old Trafford.

On the otherhand it's shit tactics if you go to Old Trafford, apply a 4-5-1 system, set your stall out to defend & leave your only counterattacking outlet upfront - ie. a vital commodity for any defensive rearguard under constant pressure at Old Trafford - on the bench, placing a clogger in the starting line-up instead. Any chance of us obtaining a smash & grab style result was duly thrown out the window on the teamsheet.

let's just hope roeder rates us in the watford at home bracket - then we may have a tiny chance of scoring against them....

but generally he is very right - of course you should approach all teams in the same manner

as the man utd part - carrick is imo the player with the least responsibility for their success - and whereas i cannot comment on his vision, i've found his distribution shocking at times this season!

I think in practice all managers adapt tactically. The reason Chelsea do better than Arsenal at Bolton is because they can handle them physically. Nothing to do with tactics.

It's just Mourinho having a little dig at Wenger and getting himself a bit of attention at the same time.