Dyer: No more freak accidents!

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Third Time Lucky For Kieron?

KIERON Dyer will be hoping it's a case of third time lucky after returning to action for Newcastle United in Saturday's 2-1 win over Watford.

Twice already this season, the England midfielder has seen his hopes of enjoying a long run of games temporarily put on hold because of an unfortunate mishap.

The first of those 'freak accidents' came in late October. Dyer had just enjoyed his first senior action of the campaign as a sub in the Carling Cup victory over Portsmouth, and was then preparing for the Premiership visit of Charlton to St. James' Park when he caught his eye on a training ground pole and was very fortunate not to suffer any serious damage.

Nevertheless, that stroke of bad luck kept him out for four matches, before he was able to return again in November ...

But within three games, there was another frustrating spell on the sidelines as, during a league win over Portsmouth on this occasion, Dyer suffered a badly gashed leg as he slid into an advertising hoarding at the Gallowgate End.

He said: "As strange as it might seem, I've actually been relieved with these latest injuries.

"Don't get me wrong, I've been gutted to miss more games because of them, my comeback has been stop-start so far, which has been frustrating.

"But the thing is they have both been freak injuries, not physical problems.

"It's incredible. How many times has a player been injured by a flag pole hitting him in the eye? I've never heard of it before.

"That kept me out for a fortnight and then, a week later, I cut my leg open when I slid into an advertising board.

"I've never heard of that happening before either. It's been ridiculous and irritating but it's not been my hamstings.

"I don't think I'm lucky. How can I be lucky with all the problems I've had in the last couple of years?

"I'm just pleased there hasn't been the slightest twinge in my hamstrings. I don't even think about them anymore.

"My hamstrings have been the main problem for me for almost two years but I've not had any trouble with them.

"I was finally given the time to get my body right and solve the problem, that's the biggest relief. My body seems to be fine, hopefully my bad luck is also behind me and I can get on with my career again."

Saturday was only Dyer's fifth game of the season. His one goal this term came at the Emirates Stadium as the Magpies earned a 1-1 draw with Arsenal - a result the player believes was the catalyst for a marked upturn in form for United.

He added: "I think the Arsenal result was the turning point in Newcastle's season.

"It was my first game back and I scored but it wasn't about my return, the whole team played well and we got a lot of belief from that result.

"We went to Arsenal and nobody gave us a hope of getting anything from the game, but we did.

"It was a massive result and if you look, since then our results have been really good."

Saturday's matchwinner was Obafemi Martins, and Dyer is delighted to see a player he has always rated starting to find the net on a regular basis.

He added: "I watch a lot of football and I knew all about Oba before he came because I had seen him play a fair bit for Inter Milan.

"He has another gear to go up yet but I never doubted he would be a success here. He just needed a bit of time to settle in and he is still settling in.

"The difference is he's scoring goals, he's playing with confidence and the supporters have taken to him.", Dyer said, whilst getting pricked in the eye with his diamond earring, causing him to miss a month of the season.

www.nufc.co.uk

Guest nufcandy

good article followed by a chuckle at the end :)

haha, added that in to check people read it through ;)

well i read that article off .co.uk this morn and thought, hang on, that last bit wasnt on... :)

I hope he comes good, because on top of his game he is a dangerous player.

To be fair to him the last two injuries have been out of his control completley, no matter how much a little prick he has been in the past I have never believed that he wanted to be injured. Hopefully his major injury problems are over now.