Set pieces

Dunedin

I'm talking about the one they go for when they hit the first man. If they hit the ball correctly, it flies towards the penalty-spot, hit it slightly out, it doesn't.

There isn't just one sweet spot though. Thats my point. Granted, theres a preferred 'area' to connect with the ball.

I think even if the taker doesn't connect 100% the way they want to, they should still be beating the first man more often than not.

If the number of shite corners are down to our players not being able to hit the 'sweet spot' then perhaps we need to get someone in, along with Gordon Bloody Lee for throws, to show them where it is.  :wullie:

Another point is, if a player isn't the most proficient corner taker, run-ups and stance can be adjusted to compensate, surely? and surely this is what training is for?

We should email Sky and ask them to analyse the numbers of corners that have failed to beat the first man over the last few years at our club Vs other sides. I bet we'd have miles more than anyone else.

I'm talking about the one they go for when they hit the first man. If they hit the ball correctly, it flies towards the penalty-spot, hit it slightly out, it doesn't.

We should email Sky and ask them to analyse the numbers of corners that have failed to beat the first man over the last few years at our club Vs other sides. I bet we'd have miles more than anyone else.

Not sure about that. I can remember Shearer on the near post heading loads of corners away as the first defender.

Not sure about that. I can remember Shearer on the near post heading loads of corners away as the first defender.

Most (by a large percentage) of Roberts were cleared from the front post and a lot of Emre's are too. If you compare us to say, Bolton, whose biggest threat comes from their aerial presence/strength in the box I bet they are far far far more effective than us from set pieces, but corners specifically.

Is there a site where we can compare this over the last few seasons?

Guest nufc 4 life

there isnt much point in talkin bout the past but the present emre can't take set pieces full stop and milner struggles too

• 10 months later...