Glenn orders a double

sempuki

Glenn orders a double!

Dec 24 2006

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has made approaches for two players ahead of the January transfer window.

And while he waits to see if his moves for the duo - believed to be a left-back and a striker - are success- ful, Roeder is considering also turning to loan deals in a bid to cover the remaining gaps in his squad.

"We've got a couple of permanent signings on the horizon," Roeder told the Sunday Sun. "We haven't got any feedback yet from those involved, but we're hopeful."

But as well as those two planned cash buys, Roeder admitted he may use the loan market again - despite Giuseppe Rossi's struggle to make an impact during his temporary spell at St James's Park.

The latest striker to be linked in Europe with a move to Tyneside is Spartak Moscow's Argentine star Fernando Cavenaghi.

Some recent news on Cavenaghi - seems to have lost his way a bit but is still young enough:

Spartak Moscow have agreed to release Argentine forward Fernando Cavenaghi in the off season, the Russian Premier League club said on Wednesday.

"There are several players the club has decided to axe. One of them is Cavenaghi," Spartak general director Sergei Shavlo was quoted as saying by the Russian media.

"He is still a young player and has a bright future, therefore we don't want to make life difficult for him as well as the team."

The 23-year-old striker has struggled to settle in Russia since joining Spartak from River Plate on a five-year, $11.5 million contract in July 2004.

Cavenaghi has scored just nine goals in all competitions for Spartak in 2006 after hitting seven the previous year.

The Argentine said last week that he wanted to leave Russia for Italy or Spain.

In their final match of the year, Spartak beat Sporting 3-1 in the Champions League on Tuesday to finish third in Group B behind Bayern Munich and Inter Milan and secure a spot in the UEFA Cup.

I've been out this morning and bought the Sunday People, they've linked us with Giles Barnes, Gareth Bale, Peter Crouch, Ray Jones, Jon Carew (loan?) and a swap deal involving Parker and Reo Coker.

Oh, and a new contract for Milner.

If the story is true (it is from the Geordie Beano however) I'd be pleased if the 2 offers were for the 2 young lads mentioned yesterday - Bale and Barnes - 2 up and coming players with loads of potential. I'd much prefer it if he left the riskier signings - i.e. foreigners to loan deals.

Cavenaghi's scoring record is pretty impressive in River Plate(57 goals in 87 apps) and at the age of 23 still has a future. Apparently has had some troubles at settling to more physical style of European footie due to his size. Still 9 goals this season in 27 matches aren't exactly a bad performance(depending on his role of course...)

Cavenaghi's scoring record is pretty impressive in River Plate(57 goals in 87 apps) and at the age of 23 still has a future. Apparently has had some troubles at settling to more physical style of European footie due to his size. Still 9 goals this season in 27 matches aren't exactly a bad performance(depending on his role of course...)

Another short arse though, not what we need.

If the story is true (it is from the Geordie Beano however) I'd be pleased if the 2 offers were for the 2 young lads mentioned yesterday - Bale and Barnes - 2 up and coming players with loads of potential. I'd much prefer it if he left the riskier signings - i.e. foreigners to loan deals.

Aye mate, i'd take that. Speaking to my Derby-maniac uncle (i know, hardly the most trustworthy of sources) - he reckons that if a £3m bid came in for Barnes, Davies would probably let him go. Mega versatile player, goalscoring midfielder. Sounds like another Dyer to me, without the injury. As i've been saying since we were linked with him, i'd rather wait until the summer, but he'd be impossible to sign by then.

Know virtually nowt about Bale, but he seems to be highly rated by everybody, even Arsenal. And i think i trust Arsene Wenger in the young-natural-talent area.