True Faith poll on Rodent.

Guest thenorthumbrian

d) he took West Ham from 15th to 7th (in the Premiership!).  He made some good signings (David James for 2 mil, Englands goalkeeper) at times, got hit by bad injuries and had a brain tumor, he didn't do that great though to be fair.

He also signed Thomas Repka and Don Hutchinson for £10 million.

At the time Hutchinson was considered one of the best box to box midfielders outside of the top top midfielders like Scholes and err, Bowyer, after a few good seasons with the mackems, Roeder signed a good player at the time. Remember Seth Johnson went for 7.5m and Jenas 5m, so fees were kind of inflated too.

Seth Johnson was typical wheeling and dealing by Ridsdale, we've all heard the popular story about his wage negotiations, Jenas on the other hand was a highly rated youngster wh owas always going to cost big money.

Hutchinson on the other hand was 30 when he signed for West Ham and didn't impress there before he was injured.

Guest Knightrider

d) he took West Ham from 15th to 7th (in the Premiership!).  He made some good signings (David James for 2 mil, Englands goalkeeper) at times, got hit by bad injuries and had a brain tumor, he didn't do that great though to be fair.

At the time Hutchinson was considered one of the best box to box midfielders outside of the top top midfielders like Scholes and err, Bowyer, after a few good seasons with the mackems, Roeder signed a good player at the time. Remember Seth Johnson went for 7.5m and Jenas 5m, so fees were kind of inflated too.

Seth Johnson was typical wheeling and dealing by Ridsdale, we've all heard the popular story about his wage negotiations, Jenas on the other hand was a highly rated youngster wh owas always going to cost big money.

Hutchinson on the other hand was 30 when he signed for West Ham and didn't impress there before he was injured.

Hutchinson was an experienced Premiership player proven to get goals from midfield, and lets not forget a manager has no say in the valuation of a player much less the wages, which is something you've used before when having a go at the board. BTW for Peter Ridsdale read Terry Brown.

Guest Knightrider

BTW if we are discussing his time at WHU and pointing to his signings, do a search on Google and enjoy the positive praise for Roeder from Defoe, Lampard, Cole and a host of others regarding his coaching methods and his man management while at WHU, something people give him stick for at Newcastle. Further back you will find some decent quotes from the time he was England coach.

BTW if we are discussing his time at WHU and pointing to his signings, do a search on Google and enjoy the positive praise for Roeder from Defoe, Lampard, Cole and a host of others regarding his coaching methods and his man management while at WHU, something people give him stick for at Newcastle. Further back you will find some decent quotes from the time he was England coach.

What take the opinion of players with one brain cell each.....Get real. What player openly criticises managers anyway?

Guest Knightrider

What take the opinion of players with one brain cell each.....Get real. What player openly criticises managers anyway?

These quotes came in the build up to mathes involving NUFC and those respective sides, and are recent i.e. after he left WHU. Being thick has no baring, they are talking about his training methods and man management skills and praising him for developing them as youngsters or giving them a chance, not how he helped them with their sums ;) All I'm doing is providing a bit of balance here, some praise to the criticism BTW.

.....and tell me where did he hone his coaching methods Gillingham, Watford? Serie A.....? He hasn't even got his badges ffs..You know the ones they dish out if you get your players to eat pasta instead of chips....And not give them whiskey at half time.

Guest Knightrider

This is the latest poll btw:

Is Glenn Roeder capable of managing Newcastle United?

Votes Response:

19% YES

81% NO

Where is that from, TF?

BTW its allowed me to cast a vote a few times, so I question the results like.

These quotes came in the build up to mathes involving NUFC and those respective sides, and are recent i.e. after he left WHU. Being thick has no baring, they are talking about his training methods and man management skills and praising him for developing them as youngsters or giving them a chance, not how he helped them with their sums ;) All I'm doing is providing a bit of balance here, some praise to the criticism BTW.

Have you seen Apocalypse Now coach? The bit where Sheen finally arrives at the Colonels camp....Skulls everywhrere, people with painted faces, the whiff of burning flesh.....I give you Newcastle United. blueyes.gif

This is the latest poll btw:

Is Glenn Roeder capable of managing Newcastle United?

Votes Response:

19% YES

81% NO

Where is that from, TF?

BTW its allowed me to cast a vote a few times, so I question the results like.

Yes TF.

Guest Knightrider

.....and tell me where did he hone his coaching methods Gillingham, Watford? Serie A.....? He hasn't even got his badges ffs..You know the ones they dish out if you get your players to eat pasta instead of chips....And not give them whiskey at half time.

Coaching isn't about knowledge but understanding, you don't need to work with great players or have the best facilities to get a grasp of understanding, do you?

Coaching isn't about knowledge but understanding, you don't need to work with great players or have the best facilities to get a grasp of understanding, do you?

Your first precept doesn't tie up with your second.

......and I would seriously doubt that coaching isn't very much to do with knowledge....Simple things like getting Martins to come in from the right..So he can shoot with his preferred left...Not continuing to play Hunty at LB where he has failed over and over again..Using Dyer further up as he's scoring for fun and not dropping him back to right wing....He understands the game alright... :nope:

Have you seen Apocalypse Now coach? The bit where Sheen finally arrives at the Colonels camp....Skulls everywhrere, people with painted faces, the whiff of burning flesh.....I give you Newcastle United. blueyes.gif

Marlon Brando = Freddy Shepherd?

Marlon Brando = Freddy Shepherd?

Deffo the right size. :lol:

Repka was a good enough buy.  He spent 5 years at the club through 2 managers.  All for 1 mil a season?  Not bad.

I don't know enough about Hutchinson but Glenn could never play him since he got injured with a similar injury to Owen didn't he?

That's like saying Bramble was a good enough buy because he spent 5 years here through 3 managers, all for £1 million a season.

Hutchinson was never worth anywhere near £5 million in the first place.

If you think Roeder can do a job here then that's your opinion, however by trying to put a positive spin on things that are clearly f*** ups does your credibility no good whatsoever.

Err no, it's not like saying that.  How can you know what i'm thinking?  He was a good buy because he was a good player for them.  The fact he stayed for 5 seasons is a bonus.

I hardly think Roeder was the one deciding to pay £5 million, do you?

And no they weren't clearly fuck ups, as i've demonstrated.  If you don't agree then fine.  People saying Glenn has been a complete failure in management are, in my opinion, wrong.  If you don't want to make an effort at the debate then don't but there's no need to say stuff like that.  Back it up your opinion if you want, I might change my mind.

Guest Knightrider

Your first precept doesn't tie up with your second.

......and I would seriously doubt that coaching isn't very much to do with knowledge....Simple things like getting Martins to come in from the right..So he can shoot with his preferred left...Not continuing to play Hunty at LB where he has failed over and over again..Using Dyer further up as he's scoring for fun and not dropping him back to right wing....He understands the game alright... :nope:

Parky I'm talking about coaching as in on the training pitch BTW, working with individuals, not tactics or such like playing Huntington at LB or whatever. To be effective on the training pitch you don't need a great deal of knowledge about football to be a good coach, or that's what I keep telling myself anyway ;)

Guest Knightrider

Regarding Roeder & West Ham, I don't think he can be fairly judged on his time there regardless of what side of the fence you sit on over Roeder, even some WHU fans I speak to seem to be split, some blame him for everything, while others say he was shafted and not to blame for their relegation. I do remember in the year they went down, Souness' Blackburn beating them 7-1 and Man Utd putting 6 past them, they were shocking, but when they finished 7th, they played some great football and at the time many Hammers were thinking they'd landed themselves a top manager in the making. Mind they are fickle bastards, look at their treatment of Pardew, villified then the best thing since bubbles, and back again.