Three players you didn't like

Stevie

Parker - Hardworking perfomances cover up realy a crapplayer who cant really do much. hes a midfeilder who cant tackle that well, cant pass more than 10 meters and creatvity is not in hs vocab

Owen - doesnt sign autgraphs for little kidies

Dabizas -Shitest defender to ever grace the toon. Give me bramble anyday

Dabizas?! Harsh! Gave his all, scored against the mackems, loved the Toon.

Parker - Hardworking perfomances cover up realy a crapplayer who cant really do much. hes a midfeilder who cant tackle that well, cant pass more than 10 meters and creatvity is not in hs vocab

Owen - doesnt sign autgraphs for little kidies

Dabizas -Shitest defender to ever grace the toon. Give me bramble anyday

Dabizas?! Harsh! Gave his all, scored against the mackems, loved the Toon.

I will never forget that game, there wasn't a chance in hell Dabz was going to leave the field without scoring that day! :D

Aye, he had about three decent shots on target before he finally scored. Awesome. Scored the following match, as well, I think. Thought he was going to go on a run. Saw him in Starbucks just before he left, looked feckin miserable, gave him a thumbs up and he said thanks. Bit clumsy at times and gave away a few daft pens, but genuinely cared and wasn't a tit.

If I look back on my feelings towards players we've had, there's always one player who sticks out from every squad we've had who I've never taken to.  I'm vocal at the match, but I never boo, and despite this post, I hardly ever dish out personal abuse to players in the ground.

The first player I'll mention Scott Sellars, was almost universally loved.  He had good technique, decent crosser, scored a great winner against Sunderland, yet for some reason I never took to him.  I don't know why, I'll be honest, maybe it's because I like pacey wingers, and he didn't often skin 2 and 3 players like Ginola or Waddle.  I appreciate he had good technique, but I was one of the very few people that wasn't sad to see him go.  He never really let us down, and he was never that bad even in the Premiership, just sometimes I think I wanted more from him.  Perhaps it was a slightly irrational dislike in some respects.

The next player who without doubt I will never forget, is Kevin Dillon.  Firstly he was s***, secondly he was a mackem, thirdly he was the slowest footballer I've ever seen, fourthly he was clean through against Sunderland by about 20 yards, yet he was so slow Gary Bennett caught up to him by the 18 yard box, and fifthly he was the worst captain in the clubs history.  He was so bad when I was at school you would use "Dillon" as a derogatory term..."he's a Dillon that kid".

I wanted to put Ginola in the list because of his words when he left, but he was too brilliant to hate.  I didn't hate Andy O'Brien, but as soon as he arrived from Bradford I felt like I was the only one who could see just how s*** he was.  Even now it baffles me how he managed to stay four years.  See with Bramble he's come to the end of the line now, but he could go on a run of 10 games where he was fantastic.  He was on such a run when he got injured against Sporting Lisbon in the UEFA Cup QF.  It was 1-1, 20 minutes left (2-1 up on agg), yet I knew for a fact, when I seen O'Brien trotting on our dream was over, and so it proved.  There have been many individual performances down the years, which have bordered on the punishable by firing squad, Nicky Butt against Man Utd for one, but I've never seen any single player (including Fumaca), play a worse game than O'Brien against Villa when we lost 0-3 at home.  He was obscenely s*** in my view, and for all the good Robson did the toon, some of the players he stayed loyal to, beggared belief, and when Souness dished out a three year contract for him, I nearly cried.  He's another one who got a goal against Sunderland, and by all accounts he's a really good lad, but really good lad doesn't always equal really good footballer.

I don't really hate the s*** players from the Dillon era and before Stevie, they couldn't help being s***. I thought Dillon actually tried quite hard for a mackem playing for Newcastle, his frustration at not scoring despite a lot of near misses got to him in the end, he was quite unlucky.

What I really hate is the players who don't play for the shirt, and most of those are the foreigners in the last decade as their input to the premiership has grown.

Arsprilla was the first one. Apart from the Barcelona game, you can count the good games he had on one hand, I got sick and tired of watching him amble around doing his own thing, especially when he played alongside Tomasson, a young lad who needed a bit of help and guidance from his partner, a senior professional. I hate attitudes like this. I also hated the attitude that Jinky Jim Smith had in the 1970's, who was similar, strolled around for 9 games doing nothing, then had a blinder. Players like this are no good to you, and I hated the fact he completely wasted his ability, playing for Newcastle.

The foreigners in the last decade who haven't played for the shirt ? They are obvious. Charvet, Maric, Luque, Dumas, Marcelino, Andersson.

Some of the lesser ones have been good though ie Acuna for example. I also thought that Bassedas and Cordone tried hard but weren't good enough, also Distin and bernard before they got stroppy with the club were good, and Lua Lua was badly treated by Bobby Robson.

Dillon was a disgrace to the shirt, I don't care if we were shit and had low standards, he was finished at Birmingham  two or three years before we signed him.  I agree he tried hard, I would try hard but I'll never be good enough to play for us.

I take your point about Tino, but I don't think he was cutr out for English football, and his moments of magic, are up there with any footballer ever.  He did have good games in the league as well, he was brilliant against Sheff Wed that time, opening day of the season.  The thing with Tino, he used to play much better in Europe and in the Premiership when he was the talisman.  when we played 4 4 1 1 or 4 5 1, he revelled in that role up front on his own.

Has anyone got any proof to back up that stat, I can't believe for one minute that 4 million was a world record back in 95.

The likes of Pagliuca and Marchegiani were going for way more than that before 95 and they were goalkeepers.

Has anyone got any proof to back up that stat, I can't believe for one minute that 4 million was a world record back in 95.

Stam was the most expensive defender in the world when he signed for Man U in 1998 for £10m (I think). So it could be true.

The likes of Pagliuca and Marchegiani were going for way more than that before 95 and they were goalkeepers.

Pagliuca moved to Inter for £7m in 1994 and Marchegiani was the most expensive keeper in the world in 1993 when he moved to Lazio.

Sparks take it from me it's true, whether that's good enough for you I don't know, but it is a fact.  I tell you something else as well, Gary Pallister once held the title of the world's costliest defender as well.

Stam was the most expensive defender in the world when he signed for Man U in 1998 for £10m (I think). So it could be true.

I'm sure Roberto Rios moved to Bilbao for that fee before Stam.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Wiki says the most expensive defender in English football but not the best source.

I wouldn't wipe my arse on wiki, it's geeky googlers like Vic spouting shite half of it.

funnily enough a recent study showed Wikipedia was as reliable as any other off the shelf encyclopedia

but then you would have to be able to read and think and not drop your findus crispy pancake at the same time to be aware of news like that

Wiki says the most expensive defender in English football but not the best source.

I wouldn't wipe my arse on wiki, it's geeky googlers like Vic spouting s**** half of it.

funnily enough a recent study showed Wikipedia was as reliable as any other off the shelf encyclopedia

but then you would have to be able to read and think and not drop your findus crispy pancake at the same time to be aware of news like that

Not one comma or full stop.  You truly are one of the great minds of our time.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I wouldn't wipe my arse on wiki, it's geeky googlers like Vic spouting s**** half of it.

some people don't really rate correct punctuation on an informal media such as a forum as a sign of any such thing

mind, it is the frequent last refuge of some types of poster...

some people don't really rate correct punctuation on an informal media such as a forum as a sign of any such thing

How would you evaluate yourself as a person?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Why do you want to know?

he was britain's most expensive defender i think, doubt he was the world's most expensive

I'm telling you now, he was the most expensive defender in welt fussbal.

the italian market was crazy back then, Lentini for £13m, Tagliatelli for not much less. Must've been some heft fees paid out for defenders, desailly, panucci for instance?

Why do you want to know?

cI'm interested to know if you consider yourself as a bit of a cock.  Or are you in denial?  That's all it was.

I remember when Slaven Bilic moved to us from West Ham for £5m he was the most expensive defender in Britain

That was 97 or 98 I think

So £4m in 95 was a lot of money

he was britain's most expensive defender i think, doubt he was the world's most expensive

I'm telling you now, he was the most expensive defender in welt fussbal.

the italian market was crazy back then, Lentini for £13m, Tagliatelli for not much less. Must've been some heft fees paid out for defenders, desailly, panucci for instance?

Johnny Lentini went to Milan in 1992, fees of £8m etc.. were prevalent in 1990 even (Baggio), but I'm honestly telling you now, Warren Barton was the WORLD'S most expensive defender in 1995.  Think about the Italian clubs in 88-95.  It wasn't often defenders from the big clubs moved.  Inter had mainstays like Bergomi, Milan had the likes of Tassotti, Costacurta and Baresi etc....  Roberto Rios was the first huge fee worldwide for a defender.

I remember when Slaven Bilic moved to us from West Ham for £5m he was the most expensive defender in Britain

That was 97 or 98 I think

So £4m in 95 was a lot of money

Aye, before Barton I'm pretty sure the English record was Phil Babb.