Martins happy in no 9 shirt

Skirge

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1020161,00.html

Oba Rises To The Challenge

OBAFEMI Martins readily admits he knew it would be a huge challenge to follow Alan Shearer in the famous number nine shirt at Newcastle United - but he's pleased with how his first season at St. James' Park has gone.

The former Inter Milan striker has managed a very respectable 17 goals in his maiden term at Gallowgate, and he'd like a few more before the season ends.

Saturday sees Blackburn Rovers on Tyneside for our final game of the season, and Martins would love to repeat his two-goal feat when United won 3-1 at Ewood Park earlier in the campaign.

Oba spoke to Newcastle World as he helped the club launch the brand new home kit that the players will be wearing against Rovers at the weekend.

He said: "I have been happy with my first season, but it was never going to be easy. Wearing the Newcastle number nine shirt is difficult because everyone knows the history behind it.

"They had Alan Shearer before I came here, and he is a legend. When I first arrived I was scared about it because he is such a big name, but now I feel great and want to finish the season on a high.

"I have happy memories of playing Blackburn this season because we won 3-1 and I scored two goals.

"Now we have to play them again in an important game and we have to go out and get the same result because we really, really need the points.

"I remember the two goals and I was pleased with them, but now we have to play again so I cannot think about those goals too much.

"We lost our last game at Reading so we need to go out and get a good result. At Reading we played well in stages, but we need to take that into the Blackburn game on Saturday.

"We all have to get on with the job and the job is to win.

"I have two games left to reach 20 goals and I will try my very best to do it. It has been a good first year in English football and the players and the coaches have helped me a lot.

"I am happy to stay here and looking forward to next season."

Oba was clearly impressed with the new look black and white stripes he was sporting for the first time as it officially went on sale to fans.

He added: "I like the new kit and I know how important it is to wear the black and white shirt.

"It suits me and I hope to wear it for a long time. And I would love to be the first player to score in the new kit!"