Worst debut you've seen from a toon player

Liam Liam Liam O

What was Shearer like in the Charity Shield 4-0 shambles? Or the first league game? (Everton away 2-0 loss iirc)

Serious question, I really have no recollection of it other than the score lines.

What was Shearer like in the Charity Shield 4-0 shambles? Or the first league game? (Everton away 2-0 loss iirc)

Serious question, I really have no recollection of it other than the score lines.

Nee idea, complete blur to be honest.

Guest BooBoo

Charles N'Zogbia.

Ran on in the last minute into the Strawberry Corner and the ref blew full time!

What a let down!

Stephan Guivarc'h

Honestly - at the time he gave me hope that at the age of 26 my hopes of winning a World Cup winners medal were still well and truly alive!!!

Guivarc'h actually scored on his debut.

Very surprised Shearer hasn't been mentioned. Hardly had a kick in the Charity Shield match.

EDIT - I see Parker17 mentioned him.

It wasn't his debut, but fairly early in his Newcastle career, John Bird had a 'blinder' against Man U at SJP -

was never the best of defenders(despite Bobby Charlton resigning from Preston in protest t his transfer to us..!), but this beat everything - he put in an Own Goal from around 20 yards which would have been a credit to one of Shearer's best rocket shots..

We came back from 3-2 down to 3-3, but lost 3-4 to another shocking error(from him too, I think).

Was that the one where the scoreboard read OOOPS?

That was a long way out and the ball bounced over keepers head into Gallowgate net. the manager (Arthur Cox iirc) wasnt amused.

Think it was actually in the Lee/Dinnis era, circa 1977..

John Robertson.

Was being heralded as the next big thing to come out of scotland, Willie McFaul brought him in for something like £650,000 and he was s***. Something like 10 games, no goals then went back to Hearts where he came from.

Was so small, we all thought he was a Ball-boy...!!

Saw his wife sing at a players' do just before Xmas in 1988(we'd just bought Dickson's shares , shocking the life out of Mckeag..!) - she was as successful at singing as John was at scoring in a Newcastle shirt..!!

Amdy Faye? I don't remember it, but it must've been s*** as he was absolutely awful everytime he played.

Amady Faye made his debut against Coventry in the FA Cup iirc and actually had a very good game.

His only decent game for us I believe!

No one can beat Fumaca, the bloke clearly wasn't a footballer.

I can't remember it at all but I would bet my house on Rob McDonald's first game being shite as every other game certainly was!

I think the McDonald debut was live on Sunday afternoon telly when terrestrial channels had live games on.God he was rank.

Amdy Faye? I don't remember it, but it must've been s*** as he was absolutely awful everytime he played.

Amady Faye made his debut against Coventry in the FA Cup iirc and actually had a very good game.

His only decent game for us I believe!

No one can beat Fumaca, the bloke clearly wasn't a footballer.

I can't remember it at all but I would bet my house on Rob McDonald's first game being s**** as every other game certainly was!

I think the McDonald debut was live on Sunday afternoon telly when terrestrial channels had live games on.God he was rank.

Aye against Man Utd.  Was 0-0 all I remember was there was only about 20,000 there as there was an official boycott of the game and Brian Tinnion hit the post in the first half from a free kick, that's akk that happened, Man Utd were shite then too Blackmore was one of their better players.

Honestly can't remember if Rob McDonald played but he was purely shite, one of the worst centre forwards I've ever seen.  He was third choice striker for PSV Eindhoven when we signed him, and they were then THE REIGNING CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE.  I thought we'd signed the new Beardsley for £100,000.  The reality of it was, he made the signing of McGhee and Quinn the next season look like Maradona and Pele.