The quality/finance/nationality difference of our top-flight from 91-2007

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

The Leeds United squad that won the title in 91-92

Lukic, McClelland, Sterland, Whyte, Fairclough, Dorigo, Newsome, Whitlow, Strachan, McAllister, Batty, Speed, Hodge, Chapman, Wallace, Shutt, Varadi, Cantona

1 foreign player in the entire squad

3 homegrown players (products of the youth academy)

Squad cost £8.9m

Squad size 18

The Man Utd squad that won the title in 2006-07

Van der Sar, Neville, Evra, Heinze, Ferdinand, Brown, Ronaldo, Rooney, Saha, Giggs, Smith, Vidic, Carrick, Scholes, Solskjaer, Dong, O'Shea, Richardson, Fletcher, Silvestre, Kuszczak, Eagles, Park

11 foreign players in the entire squad

7 homegrown players (products of the youth academy)

Squad cost £139.8m

Squad size 23

Looking at the two respective sides the gulf in class is staggering, that Leeds side boasts less stars than our current Newcastle team who on paper at least would give the 91-92 champions more than a good run for their money. What is also staggering is the cost of the two respective squads and the number of foreigners. I was also surprised to find that the champions of today can boast more homegrown players in their squad.

Guest graemeh72

Agree there is a big diff ... but

Strachan, McAllister, Batty, Speed ......=  cracking midfield

Cantona was vv good that year

and Leeds played extremely well as a team and unit  that year.....

I reckon that Leeds team would be Top 4 just in 2007 ... and def better than Spurs

how long did it take you to research that silly piece...ie comparing 2 teams.

you have a point about more foreigners,but have a look at man utd and liverpool  squads circa 91-92

I reckon that Leeds team would be Top 4 just in 2007 ... and def better than Spurs

Cantona didn't come till the February or March and was on the bench as much as he played.  They'd still have won it without Eric.  Leeds crowd were brilliant that year, when people go on about crowds been the 12th man, I think there's never been a crowd that I've known in my lifetime who were consistently as good as they were that season, was a true lion's den Elland Road, second I'd put SJP 95/96. 

Guest graemeh72

Cantona didn't come till the February or March and was on the bench as much as he played.  They'd still have won it without Eric.  Leeds crowd were brilliant that year, when people go on about crowds been the 12th man, I think there's never been a crowd that I've known in my lifetime who were consistently as good as they were that season, was a true lion's den Elland Road, second I'd put SJP 95/96. 

Cantona made his debut for Leeds on February 8 in a 2-0 defeat at Oldham

but, yes you're right he was in and out