Dougan

Rob W

I'll second that. He wasn't at our place for very long, but he is remembered by many of our fans for the tough as nails maverick he was.

Having a mohican 45 years ago exhibited a certain amount of chutzpah

Guest thaitoon

the doog and wolves eh, what a famous old club, as a very young boy , it was my first footy strip[use to live in the midlands then] couldnt in them days just go out and buy any strip that took ye fancy, so ive always had a soft spot for them, mid to late 50"s they were the team, great players billy wright, peter broadbent, ron flowers, then the era of doog, mike bailey, peter knowles, who gave all his football up for religion.

fond memories, rip doog, never to be forgotten

never an easy match when he was ont eh other side for sure - he haad real ability at getting under the skin of a defence

not dirty  but quite like Shearer in that respect

Guest thaitoon

nah he was dirty, but because of the era he played, players and refs just got on with it, part and parcel of the game them days.

Guest Brazilianbob

the doog and wolves eh, what a famous old club, as a very young boy , it was my first footy strip[use to live in the midlands then] couldnt in them days just go out and buy any strip that took ye fancy, so ive always had a soft spot for them, mid to late 50"s they were the team, great players billy wright, peter broadbent, ron flowers, then the era of doog, mike bailey, peter knowles, who gave all his football up for religion.

fond memories, rip doog, never to be forgotten

My first ever away match was at Wolves when their strike force was "the Doog" and England U/23 striker Peter Knowles (the younger brother of Spurs and England defender, Cyril Knowles), who as you rightly point out, retired at the ripe old age of 21 to devote his life to the religous group, Jehovah's Witnesses.

Anyway Wolves thrashed us 5-0 with Knowles getting 3 and Dougan 2, although I may be wrong as I seem to recall Mike Bailey notching one.  We were desperate to score a consolation and we threw everyone forward for a corner near the end, and of course in true NUFC fashion, the ball came over and went straight to a Wolves player, who immediately knocked it up to the Doog who was completely unmarked on the half way line.  We all groaned and thought bu**er here comes number six .  However, instead of going for personal glory and scoring, Dougan clearly felt we had had enough punishment and so he simply collected the ball took it to the spot in the centre circle and sat on it with his arms folded, while our defenders, desperate to get back into position, simply ran past him sitting on the ball in the centre circle, much to the amusement of the Wolves crowd, and I have to say it is one of the enduring memories I have of football.  Characters like the Doog will be sadly missed from the game.  RIP!