What does 433 mean for our wingers?

Lloydie

Not so sure what the issue is with 4-3-3 to be honest, like any formation if it's played with the right personnel it's effective.

A lot of complaints about the particular formation regard being light in midfield, having one up front, etc. Like 4-4-2 you have your flat back four, two first choice center backs and two full backs. 4-3-3 requires more attacking full backs to venture forward and assist the midfield as much as possible. If these are not present the two wingers must drop back occasionally to create a 4-5-1 formation. The midfield is the usually comprised of one tough tackling defensive midfielder and two more creative players who will support the lone striker. The lone striker must have the ability to poach anything created by his wingers but must have the ability to bring his wingers into play. It's pretty much essential the advanced wingers chip in with goals. If you have the above requirements I don't see why 4-3-3 can't be as effective if not more effective than 4-4-2. Just look at two teams who use/used to use this particular formation: Bolton and Chelsea.

Big Sam was famous for his 4-3-3 at Bolton, in fact he got a lot of unfair stick. They were so often labeled as "bullies" or "long ball merchants", but if money isn't available I don't see the problem with playing to your strengths. Although Bolton somewhat lacked the attacking fullbacks the wingers would often drop back forming a 4-5-1. They had a physically strong defense which were more than handy in any set piece situation. Faye would often protect this back four while Speed, Nolan, etc would support the loan striker Davies. The two winger Diouf and Stelios would frequently create and score goals. The key to Bolton's early success was set pieces, it was as simple as keeping the ball alive in the box. However in the later days they played some quality football. Either way they were a very effective, direct outfit.

Chelsea played the same formation but were a different side altogether. Their financial strength gave them the ability to buy the correct players for the 4-3-3 formation and during Mourinho's first season I feel Chelsea played their best football to date.  Ferreira and Bridge would support a midfield of Makelele, Essien and Lampard. Gudjohnsen was perfect for the formation, he would not only score the odd goal but he would also drop deep and bring the two wingers, Duff and Robben into play enabling them to bag a few gaols for themselves.

Guest trotter58

Big Sam was famous for his 4-3-3 at Bolton, in fact he got a lot of unfair stick. They were so often labeled as "bullies" or "long ball merchants", but if money isn't available I don't see the problem with playing to your strengths. Although Bolton somewhat lacked the attacking fullbacks the wingers would often drop back forming a 4-5-1. They had a physically strong defense which were more than handy in any set piece situation. Faye would often protect this back four while Speed, Nolan, etc would support the loan striker Davies. The two winger Diouf and Stelios would frequently create and score goals. The key to Bolton's early success was set pieces, it was as simple as keeping the ball alive in the box. However in the later days they played some quality football. Either way they were a very effective, direct outfit.

Absolutely correct! You appear to be the only person on this site who actually understands the 4-5-1 formation. However i would argue that in the last season we certainly didn't play anything that could remotely described as 'quality football'! Incidently where are all the Newcastle supporters who were telling me that Big Sam would be playing a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 formation? Hate to say i told you so but well... i told you so!

Guest trotter58

Allardyce played 4-4-2 against Hartlepool

He's giving you one last look at it for old time's sake.

Allardyce played 4-4-2 against Hartlepool

He's giving you one last look at it for old time's sake.

By that logic he should have won his last match in charge at Bolton, no?  :razz:

I think Nobby's quote that 'the new system isn't quite ready yet' after the Carlisle game suggests which way he's going. Also said it might not be ready for the start of the new season. With injuries and signings we could easily be starting in a 4-4-2 against Bolton.