Sam has high hopes for......

Skirge

My opinion of Dyer hasn't changed. Over-rated by the media, but people on here slag him off too much. People need to get behind him more, especially now that he has turned a corner fitness-wise (i'm inclined to believe that now, especially now that Sam has come in), and has actually done a lot for us in 2007/since end of 2006.

He's not a great player, inconsistent, and when he's bad he's fucking shit. But, and i've said this on several occassions, if we want to be achieving top 6 finishes, we need to keep the likes of Kieron Dyer in our squad. By no means do i feel that he should be 100% guaranteed a place in the starting line-up, but he's versatile and excellent when he's good, and there's no need to chuck him. Top 6 sides can bring the likes of Kieron Dyer on from the bench, and have players of Dyer's quality in their squads.

That said, a £5m+ offer on the table and we'd be daft not to be atleast tempted...

If you can mange to take the personal side of Dyer aside you seem to have two players roled into one. The Dyer who can sides ragged with pace, intelligent passing and movement but more prominently we see the Dyer who runs round like a swarm of bees who sees little of the ball and does little in the way of creativity when it's at his feet.

We've got to remember this isn't the twenty three year old any more. Dyer is supposed to be entering the prime of his career and he certainly shows glimpses of it. At times last season he played with a great maturity. Notably the timing and intelligence of his runs had improved and his finishing was a damn sight better. This Dyer is the player we paid six million pounds for all those years ago.

Unfortunately we only see shades of this player. We tend to see more of a player who struggles to get in the game and in the end makes little or no impact. His runs seem mindless at time and produce little end product. He lacks fight and frequently gets lost in the midfield battle or marked out the game. They say a midfield player with class always looks like he always has time on the ball but Dyer rarely does and often wastes possession when he's managed to earn it. At the beginning of my post I asked to set aside the personal side of Dyer but you can't help but feel the lazy, spoiled lad we see off the field is all too often the same person we see on the field. For once if he was to get his head down, dig in, and show a bit of determination we might see the Dyer we've missed out on for so many years.