Dyer given permission to talk to West Ham, fee agreed

iklgizmo

Said he'll be replaced tomorrow no less! That was actually a pretty good post-match interview:

- Minimum of 3, maximum of 4 players needed

- We are strong in every area but defence

- Problems over signings have been the lack of European football - the quality of player he's been looking at wanted Europe and could get it elsewhere

- No problems with not getting money ("Everything's fine"). Him and Mort are working together on the signings that need to be made and they hope to "win the battle because it needs to be won".

According to someone on another board Allardyce also said:

"by the end of today I think a deal will be done for Dyer and that'll solve both our and his problems - Dyer will be closer to his family and I will have that money to spend in the market tomorrow on defenders"

Any truth in this or has it been twisted to wind people up?

It would be quite an odd contradiction to say that "there's been no problem with money being made available", and then say "now we've sold Dyer I've finally got some money!!"  Especially in the same interview :)

Said he'll be replaced tomorrow no less! That was actually a pretty good post-match interview:

- Problems over signings have been the lack of European football - the quality of player he's been looking at wanted Europe and could get it elsewhere

- No problems with not getting money ("Everything's fine"). Him and Mort are working together on the signings that need to be made and they hope to "win the battle because it needs to be won".

"by the end of today I think a deal will be done for Dyer and that'll solve both our and his problems - Dyer will be closer to his family and I will have that money to spend in the market tomorrow on defenders"

It would be quite an odd contradiction to say that "there's been no problem with money being made available", and then say "now we've sold Dyer I've finally got some money!!"  Especially in the same interview :)

He said he was going to use the Dyer money to get his replacement, not to buy defenders. It sounded like the defence was being taken care of by another budget, so to speak.

Guest Guinness

He said he was going to use the Dyer money to get his replacement, not to buy defenders. It sounded like the defence was being taken care of by another budget, so to speak.

Cheers for clearing that up :thup:

Very happy with the deal if it turns out to be £6m.

Whilst Dyer can be usefull, especially his pace and ability to open up holes in the opposition defence, he isnt a name I put in the potential starting line ups.

His past attitude and form aside, even if he was happy to stay here I would struggle to see where he would fit in to our side other than on the bench.

Just hope we can spend the money on someone that would slot into our team.

Alan Smith could fit in better than Dyer, but we can do better.

Going to be a cracker against West Ham this year.

Guest Gemmill

You thieving fucking gyppo!

Decent summary in the guardian, including this bit

"There might be an interest in Alan Smith now," he said. "Has there been a bid made for Alan from Newcastle? There have been many bids made."

Personally I suspect that the reason we're not getting bodies in is as he says, because the quality of player Allardyce wants wants European football; and perhaps Mort isn't prepared to buy that off by agreeing massive wages to compensate them. Good to know we've been making a lot of bids, and perhaps better to know that they haven't all been leaked to the press.

The Express say £4 million up front rising to £7 million depending on appearances.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/15333

"The player will not increase his current £65,000-a-week wage"

Funny how people who don't like him would swear blind he's on £80k :lol:

funny how people believe the media sometimes

I've not claimed to believe it there, I just find it amusing that people who hate Dyer will without fail use the £80k figure despite it being widely reported to be something else. It amounts to having a guess at a figure, and using it to attack your chosen target.

Guest Toon83

If this is true and West Ham have told Dyer the deal is off and we dont want him then what is the point in raising our fee at the last minute, he will come back here and be sitting on the bench or maybe not even get into the squad, and we will still be paying him £65,000 a week for nothing.

Just take the £6m, and let him go, we are lucky to be getting that, he is knowhere near the same price as the likes of Barton, Smith and a few others that have cost around the same fee this close season

Guest Kenton Magpie

Squeeze them for every penny they have i say, it's not as if they dont have the money and how many times have we been held to ransom by other clubs in the past few years when it comes to dealing with potential signings!?

Guest johnson293

If this is true and West Ham have told Dyer the deal is off and we dont want him then what is the point in raising our fee at the last minute, he will come back here and be sitting on the bench or maybe not even get into the squad, and we will still be paying him £65,000 a week for nothing.

Just take the £6m, and let him go, we are lucky to be getting that, he is knowhere near the same price as the likes of Barton, Smith and a few others that have cost around the same fee this close season

I dont think it was a case of us not wanting him though - Allardyce had been playing him in the friendlies, until the end of the Carlisle game when it was reported he looked distressed on the pitch afterwards - later that week, Allardyce came out with the stories of Dyer having the 'Family Problems' and it being the best thing to move him down south - but he also said, if a move didn't happen, the club would look at it again and see how the problems could be sorted.

It also clear now that we didn't need the Dyer money to sign Smith.

Could definitely be something in the 'tapping up' allegations towards West Ham, along with the likes of Parker and Bellamy being there as well.

I guess Allardyce would be happy to keep him, but its clear that its the player who wants away, and that West Ham are the only other club who want him. If Ashley has some evidence that Dyer was tapped up, then why shouldn't he hold out for something near what Dyer may be worth in this summers Transfer Market?

When mediocre players like Richardson and Chopra are fetching circa £5m each, then surely a current England international, who may be over his injury problems (hasn't broken down for a while) is worth a fair bit more, no?

If West Ham want him, then they should stump up money closer to his value in todays market. If they wont, then keep him and let him fight for his place in the squad/team.

Normally the fee gets agreed before the player has the medical, so something peculiar has happened. Ashley over-ruling Mort may be one explanation, but on the other hand it's the sort of obvious thing that a journalist might invent if they didn't have a clue what was going on. With the Chairman not being the owner, it leaves us open to that sort of rumour.

Equally possible is West Ham changing the goalposts. If they believed that we needed the money in order to buy Smith, when Smith's transfer needed completion they may have decided to try and get one over on us on one or two details. It's the sort of minor rip-off that happens in football. With all that money in reserve, Ashley doesn't have to put up with that sort of thing, and pulls out.