Oba ready to fight?

Guest Moe-Ali

Guest Moe-Ali

Obafemi Martins is apparently ready to fight for his place in the starting 11.

The Nigerian international joined Newcastle in August 2006 from Italian side Inter Milan and scored 17 goals for the club last season.

Nothing seems more significant to the player than making a better impression every season.

"It's always good to score goals and for me, it is important to improve every season," Martins told KICK OFF.

"I scored seventeen goals last season so this season maybe I should be looking at doing better than that. Twenty goals is possible and I hope I can do that."

The club’s manager Sam Allardyce has two other strikers, Michael Owen and Mark Viduka, at his disposal which means it will be more challenging for Martins.

The 22-year-old said: "Both of them are great players and it shows that the manager is serious about achieving something this season.

“But I want to play all the time and as long as I am scoring goals, I think I can make it hard for him not to play me. And even when I am not scoring, I can make myself a problem for the other team and allow my team mates to score."

He also dismissed talks about a possible move to Arsenal saying he has not been involved in any official talks with the club.

"Like I told you before, everything I knew about the Arsenal thing was what I saw in the media. I am a Newcastle player and my part is to score goals for Newcastle and I am happy to be doing that."

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=367724

Guest Moe-Ali

"The club’s manager Sam Allardyce has two other strikers, Michael Owen and Mark Viduka, at his disposal."

It's a good thing Luque, Ameobi and Carroll aren't at his disposal, then.

Yes, i was just thinking.. why arent Luque, Ameobi or Carroll at his disposal?!

But think that Luque ameobi and carroll will get their chances, wether it be in the early stages of the carling or fa cup, or in some midweek fixtures when vid/owen/martins are being rested, would shock me if luque ameobi or carroll got no playing time, sam has already shown he is fair when it comes to distributing playing time. He's already made more substitutions then roeder did in his whole nufc career!!