Have we actually got the wrong strikers for the 433?

Parky

Reading through the post match Boro thread hasn't filled me with any confidence that we have the right forwards for a front three.

Not how they line up no, although experimenting may improve things slightly, for example replace Viduka with Owen and play Smith right of him and N'Zogbia left, or play Viduka up front with Milner and N'Zogbia wide of him which would be my personal choice. Ideally, we need a new front three if we are to persist with 4-3-3, but all in good time.

He could go 442 with one striker coming deep if he is so obsessed with the extra man in midfield.

Reading through the post match Boro thread hasn't filled me with any confidence that we have the right forwards for a front three.

Not how they line up no, although experimenting may improve things slightly, for example replace Viduka with Owen and play Smith right of him and N'Zogbia left, or play Viduka up front with Milner and N'Zogbia wide of him which would be my personal choice. Ideally, we need a new front three if we are to persist with 4-3-3, but all in good time.

He could go 442 with one striker coming deep if he is so obsessed with the extra man in midfield.

Who, we all know it won't be Owen, it's hard enough to get Martins to get behind the defenders without giving him 10 yards extra and Viduka would be fucked after 20 minutes of tracking back.

Who, we all know it won't be Owen, it's hard enough to get Martins to get behind the defenders without giving him 10 yards extra and Viduka would be fucked after 20 minutes of tracking back.

Well then this is the first test for SA. Get rid of one of the strikers and get a new one in who is more comfortable with his system.

Dont believe 433 will work with Owen in the team, i think Martins can do well with time to adjust....as far as i see it we have never really had Owen so im not really that bothered about weather it suits him or not although i do hope he makes me rue my words ;)

Dont believe 433 will work with Owen in the team, i think Martins can do well with time to adjust....as far as i see it we have never really had Owen so im not really that bothered about weather it suits him or not although i do hope he makes me rue my words ;)

It's quite obvious even to Owen himself that his system isn't really ideal for him. So SA should really try and offload Owen and get someone more suitable in. ie a more mobile striker who can roam/drop deep, who has pace and good ball control.

Guest thenorthumbrian

The style of football is more important than the formation in my opinion. Lumping the ball forward does not suit our current players and should only be used as a last resource. Owen is being unfairly typecast as poacher with nothing else to his game, Viduka is being described as a hurly-burly traditional number 9 who is good in the air when he's not really that type of player. I can't see why Owen, Martins and Viduka can't play together but they need the ball played in quickly to feet, preferably from wide positions. Modern football is about more than nominal formations such as 442, 433 etc.

Look how Man Utd and Chelsea play, good players should be able to move seamlessly from one "formation" to the next several times within a game depending on the requirement. I find all this talk of numbered formations a bit football manageresque.

Emre  can pick out a pass from midfield for the likes of Martins or Owen to run on to.

I don't think we have any other midfielder who can do that or even if he is an Allardyce type of player (as has been said elsewhere)