Steven Taylor rejects new contract; Liverpool preparing £5m bid?

magorific
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Disagree with that comparison. Even taking the difference in the quality of the above teams vis a vis us into account, those players you mentioned are all first teamers and in fact are probably the first player that the managers pick every weekend. As it stands now, Taylor is not a first team player and should not be paid equal to Zog and Milner (who are first teamers) just because Taylor is a Geordie. I think he is important and potentially has a good future at the club, but treating him differently just because of his birthplace will be the start of things getting to his head and possibly his own downfall.

He started whenever fit last season and has started every game this season.

Also, I believe we now have greater depth in defence than we do on the right wing, so if Taylor does find himself on the bench and Milner doesn't, I suspect that'll be the main reason. I think he's every bit as important to this club as Milner, potentially a lot more (IMO).

Lastly and perhaps most importantly, I think Taylor is still some way off his best, because no central defender peaks at the age of 21. I'm suggesting he can become one of our main men for years to come, like the players I mentioned, not that he already is. I hope that clarifies my comparison.

This smells to me like he's been talking to other England players and has been unsettled by them.

And for some inexplicable reason he thinks by going to the local press he'll get the fans' sympathy because he is a Geordie, if he thinks that he doesn't realise that no-one is bigger than the club and the fans will soon turn against him. The fact that he's saying "play me or I'll go in January" is an absolute disgrace. Frankly if that's his attitude then he can feck off. A 21 year old picking the team? Aye that'll be right.

I don't care if he's the best defender in the world (which he isn't and never will be), we've had enough of young English so called talent with "potential" that never appears and too much "aren't I the greatest" attitude  (Jenas, Dyer, to name 2).

Don't let anyone think this is made up by the press, it's being drip fed to them, word by word. The fact that he and his father are annoyed that Sam is saying they

shouldn't have gone to the papers shows what naive negotiators they are. Get an agent son - and if you don't like it here bog off to West Ham to lord it around with your England mates. >:(

So many people are instantly-prepared to believe the worst of people and to believe all the bad news instantly.

Nothing will change that automatic negativity, I suppose, sadly.

This whole thing is 95% fabricated press rubbish.

Steven Taylor will agree a slightly different (better) contract soon - all part of the negotiation process - none of the "deadline" drivel is true - he will become an excellent defender with us for years to come.

Well his dad, acting on his behalf was quoted by Alan Oliver, so if it was press rubbish it was entirely his own fault.