Steven Taylor rejects new contract; Liverpool preparing £5m bid?

magorific
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sure he didn't mean literally his first match...

Not like the clangers have stopped though is it?

Wasn't my point or indeed my opinion.

Was mine though. Hence pointing out that he's been at it from the off.

So after his debut you knew he wasn't good enough to iron them out? Mick pointed out that at the time when he first broke into the first team he looked an excellent prospect, not an excellent player.

Guest LucaAltieri

Spurs probably are worth more than Liverpool and, given their location in London, clearly have more potential to attract top players. No different to selling a house in London compared to a house on Liverpool.

And the quality of the house doesn't matter? Or do you genuinely think spurs have a better setup, top to bottom, than liverpool? Better form over the last 5 years? Better prospects for the next 5?

Bollocks iyam

If he doesnt want to be at Newcastle, let him go, but i rate him and think he will really grow and flourish at a club like newcastle and under a manager like big sam, i think it would be a bad move on his part if he moved to liverpool

You referring to his debut at Bolton? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3553037.stm

He needs to stop the clangers tbh

The nonsense about who he played with could refer to any Newcastle centre back over the last 30 years. At least he and Bramble had Woodgate about for a little while. Both seem to share a fantastic ability to lose their man and drop the odd clanger. Neither are top drawer but both capable of the odd good game. Taylor has had HALF A SEASON playing reasonably well. I've certainly seen him waving his hands looking like he wants to marshall the defence while starjumping rather than picking up his man.

I wasn't referring to his debut in particular but even during that game he looked good while playing out of position on the right, I thought at the time that he was pushed off the ball and should have had a free-kick.

Taylor played with Woodgate twice, once against Bolton and again coming on as a sub, that's hardly enough time to learn from him, I'm sure he (Taylor) played on the right both times.

So after his debut you knew he wasn't good enough to iron them out? Mick pointed out that at the time when he first broke into the first team he looked an excellent prospect, not an excellent player.

Think you'll struggle to find where I said that. What I did say was that he hasn't looked an excellent prospect. From the moment he came into the team until last xmas he dropped clangers with alarming regularity. Personally I thought he looked a decent prospect who could become a good player. I certainly haven't seen any evidence to suggest he ever was an excellent prospect or would become an excellent player.

Mick, i know what you saying, but we hear enough about people not being trained properly. Both he and Woodgate spent a long time in a young players life together on the training ground. With a very astute manager. Actually it was around the age Taylor was, when Woodgate made his debut for England.

I saw Woodgate up here when he was a kid. He was an excellent prospect who became an excellent player beset by injuries. Taylor will never reach that level. He's decent but he has a hell a lot to do with his own game. Personally I would rather he got on with that rather than spending time waving his arms around trying to marshall players who are more experienced and significantly better than he is (ref: Wigan and Barnsley games). Nowt wrong with the kid and he will do fine but he has a hell of a long way to go. Comparisons with Terry on here are a joke.

Losing Taylor would be a big blow.

Im sure alot on here can see that element of a top class centreback in his game, that presence at the back where he looks like hes capable of being a brick wall for us, a big, strong, aerial force that the ball somehow keeps getting attracted to.

Similar to Martins - maybe hes not improving like we want him to with us, but watching him go elsewhere just gives that nagging feeling that wed wed be kicking ourselves in a few years time when the buying club gradually unlocks his potential and we end up watching a real top class player performing for someone else  due to our own impatience and inability to develop talent.

Guest mandakin

Liverpool fan here.Hello to all of you. This is a great site you have got going here.

Just my thoughts on this matter. Again I dont have any concrete information and I dont profess to be ITK but from most of our so called insiders, Rafa seems to rate Taylor as a centre back with great potential. He believes Taylor could be the ideal replacement for Carra in the long term.

Liverpool have maintained an interest in Taylor since Houllier times. Houllier had enquired about him once and was rebuffed. Now Rafa also rates him. I think Taylor( or his dad) is just using this interest as a negotiating tactic.

If he moves to Liverpool he would replace Sami Hyppia next year as the third choice central defender.If Taylor does not sign a new contract, the general opinion is that Rafa will make a bid. However, I personally would be surprised if Newcastle does not tie Taylor down to a new contract.

As for why I am posting here. I came across this site when HTT posted on RAWK for some time last summer. I was interested in knowing what you guys thought of Bellamy. Then I used to lurk for some time and read your opinion on Liverpool whenever someone used to post, just to get an outsider's opinion. I generally dont post much unless on some issue which I can contribute to like this one. I see that MartinJol has stopped posting here :))

tmonkey - you got a mesmerizing avatar  there mate

Guest Harry Norway

Fuc..k off all teames,Steven is playing for TOON for several years i hope,the board cant be that stupid selling a young ,english and local lad? or can they?

Toon needes english players,look to Arsenal,only forenigers in the squad,Toon for english and Steven Taylor please.

According to Allardyce on Newcastle World, the offerred contract was on a par for players of his age and experience at the club, which would suggest he wants more than Milner and Zoggy - something that shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Allardyce was pretty pissed off with Taylor and his father to be honest.

SAM Allardyce is confident that the Steven Taylor contract situation will be resolved sooner rather than later after admitting the player had rejected the club's latest offer.

The United boss is keen to keep the 21-year-old at St.James' Park, with Taylor himself also extremely happy on Tyneside.

And Big Sam said: "The situation is very simple in that Steven has rejected our latest offer.

"But Steven is a key member of our squad.

"We want him to stay, apparently it sounds like he wants to stay, so hopefully we can resolve the problems.

"At the moment, we seem to be some way off, but we won't get sucked into paying somebody that we think is asking for too much.

"We want to give it a realistic look, and we have already started that process with the likes of Charles N'Zogbia, to push on to Nicky Butt and people like that who are in the last year of their contracts.

"That's the next thing we have to do now that the window is shut. Hopefully very shortly, everybody will have agreed and we will have a much more settled camp.

"From my point of view, it's always a little bit disturbing when people are talking about contracts while you are playing Premier League football.

"It can upset the player on the field, and that's the last thing we want."

Fuc..k off all teames,Steven is playing for TOON for several years i hope,the board cant be that stupid selling a young ,english and local lad? or can they?

Toon needes english players,look to Arsenal,only forenigers in the squad,Toon for english and Steven Taylor please.

rather good defenders than local ones tbh

I remember his deut and i remember thinking he looked a good prospect because despite the fact he got done for the goal, he didnt let his head go down and he put in a good performance after that.

He should be getting a better contract which offers him more if he continues to improve. He should not have gone to the papers though, he needs to calm down and remember he's not shearer!

Not sure how much we need Butt now, was thinking at work (very very bored) but he wouldn't get into my squad (16). Good player don't get me wrong but I can see Faye or Geremi ahead of him alongside Emre or Barton. Wouldn't mind getting a younger player in to boost the squad next summer (on wages a fraction of what Butt is on).

Not dissapointed at the new contract just think maybe we could look at other options.