NUFC missing a Right Winger

Guest SLK

I'm not talking about last season.
  SA had to pick the bits up tho and must have thought RW was not the place to improve, hence the new contract for Milner so early into the season as well.

That's because right wing wasn't important when we had an awful back four and were generally short in a number of positions, he's sorted that now and for us to keep improving he should be looking at other areas to improve, unless he wants us to stay still or other teams to overtake us.

I'm not talking about last season.
  SA had to pick the bits up tho and must have thought RW was not the place to improve, hence the new contract for Milner so early into the season as well.

That's because right wing wasn't important when we had an awful back four and were generally short in a number of positions, he's sorted that now and for us to keep improving he should be looking at other areas to improve, unless he wants us to stay still or other teams to overtake us.

and even more so now that dyer and solano have left.

Ok, we aint going to agree. 

Lets see how he progresses this season.  If I am wrong and you convince me that he has not improved or has stood still. I'll buy you a couple of beers after the match.  But if I am right, you have to run around Sunderland in your toon top shouting "he wanks his dog Keano, he wanks his dog Keano"

Guest shaun11177

The point is in a 442 we only have Milner for that position, yes we have other players who can play there but we've had too much of that in the last few seasons. Square pegs/round holes.

We buy Smith for 6m but we should have spent that money on another right winger.

Milner will improve if he gets some competition for his place.

22 players in a squad-2 for each position its not rocket science.

Guest clarkyshan

I

wasn't aware it was my job to name alternatives, even though I've already named SWP who was supposed to be available for £10 million in the summer.

SWP.  Dear me.  ;D  So your saying we should have went out and spent 10 mil on SWP even tho we've got a RW at the club already?  You've been to much FM me thinks.

Are you really not prepared to give Milner a chance in a settled team and in his correct position to see what he can do/achieve?

I'd spend £10 million on SWP because I rate him that highly, he's a far better player than Milner and offers far more to the team, if we want to improve then we have to spend money in doing so, nice FM dig there though, most people do that when they're losing an argument.

If you can't see Milner's limitations like the majority of people in this thread can then that's your problem.

Easyer said than done mate to be fair. I too would spend £10m on SWP so would alot of other teams, Sam may also have considered it.  Doesn't mean that Jose is going to sell us his best player so far this season, not as if their desperate for the cash.

Luckily Sam seems to really rate Milner so he's here to stay.  I agree with Northern gimp, Milner WILL do well for us this season i'm sure. i'm going to enjoy reminding you after each good game he has  :razz: I thik you'll be proved wrong by the middle of the season. SWP is a nice thought but a tad unrealistic imo

You're not going to be one of those dicks who thinks Milner has proven everyone wrong when he puts in a good performance or scores a goal are you? I had that last season mate when Parker put in a good performance or scored the odd goal, I prefer to look at the bigger picture though and that is if we want to improve then we should be looking to bring someone in who offers more to the team on a consistent basis if we want to improve.

Is it only this forum that people can't tell the difference between someone thinking that we should be looking to improve on a certain player compared to someone thinking they are the worst player ever and not capable of having a decent game?

crap. "one of these dicks" comes from a kid who wants to rim n'zogbia after 6 games.  don't say it's attributes either cause ive seen milner do it game in game out last season beat people and cross well.

where people get the idea milner is slow. i don't know. 

Milner is a good player, who can hopefully develop further. He does not have blistering pace, but neither do a lot of fine wingers.

We have other players in other positions who are inferior to Milner at what they do. Maybe soem fans should turn their attention to THEM, first.

Who are those FINE WINGERS with no blistering pace ?

Beckham, Joe Cole, Figo, Solano, Waddle etc etc off the top of my head. They must be poor wingers cause the've got no pace?     

Milners as quick as Cole and quicker than the others mentioned. Just because  he's not as quick as the SWP's, Lennons and Dyer's doesn't mean he is slow. He's quicker than most right backs and can beat them, cross or shoot, as well as get back and help which is the most important thing isn't it?

He's probably our most creative player! Lets get rid!

All those you mentioned were/are quicker than Milner. Figo and Waddle were light years ahead of the rest of that list pace wise. Solano and Beckham were quicker with far superior talent. Milner is nowhere near as quick as Cole. Just cos you dreamt it doesn't mean it's true.

I

wasn't aware it was my job to name alternatives, even though I've already named SWP who was supposed to be available for £10 million in the summer.

SWP.  Dear me.  ;D  So your saying we should have went out and spent 10 mil on SWP even tho we've got a RW at the club already?  You've been to much FM me thinks.

Are you really not prepared to give Milner a chance in a settled team and in his correct position to see what he can do/achieve?

I'd spend £10 million on SWP because I rate him that highly, he's a far better player than Milner and offers far more to the team, if we want to improve then we have to spend money in doing so, nice FM dig there though, most people do that when they're losing an argument.

If you can't see Milner's limitations like the majority of people in this thread can then that's your problem.

That's the main point. The kid has so many obvious limitations. We have people telling us Figo and Waddle weren't quick. Did they see those two play? Both would beat Milner by 4 yards over the first five. Joe Cole is in the same pace bracket (and he isn't even a winger)? Bollocks. Solano and Beckham were both quicker but not blessed with lightning pace. However, both are exceptional technicians.

I'd have SWP every day of the week over him. I hadn't heard of Cacapa before he arrived so who's to say there isn't an equivalent out there? As a match going supporter for well over 30 years and a season ticket holder for more than 20 of them, I think it's is my prerogative to assess those who aren't up to scratch.

If we were playing the same system then the need for like-for-like replacements would be obvious. Does the fact that we (look like) playing a different system not mean that we shouldnt expect like-for-like replacements?

Aye that's a valid point, but it does seem strange to sell a first team player and replace him with a squad player who plays in a different position. He clearly has faith in Milner but if anything happens to him I do think it'll affect us.

The fact we sold three wingers (if you count Luque) and bought three CMs suggests we are gearing up for a 4-3-3 formation by default, but the option to change to 4-4-2 is always a valuable one and it concerns me that we only have one right winger. If Milner gets injured, I think we'll be looking very limited in terms of a plan B. Surely one of the main features of a strong squad is having options to change a game? I don't see a great deal of that at the moment. The squad looks very strong in terms of handing an injury crisis and still putting out 11 decent players, and that's significant progress, but the next step IMO will be to improve our options.

for a 4-3-3, dyer can play as attacking midfielder, or as one of the wide strikers. for these positions we have very, very few players who can be considered naturals at playing there, and very few who can bring the same pace to those areas of the side, so he needs to be replaced. in a 4-4-2 he can also fill a few positions tho probably not as well, with him and solano gone we definitely could do with a right-sided attacking player. i think allardyce's next big target will probably be a dyer-type, someone who can compete with Milner on the right-wing of a 4-4-2, and/or play right-forward in a 4-3-3 a la Diouf. i think he'll prioritise this over a central playmaker as he probably sees Barton fulfilling this role, with Smith as backup.

solano doesn't really fit into a 4-3-3 but as an overall squad i feel we could do with someone with similar vision, we have a lot of capable workers but no visionaries.

Funny, coming from someone who repeatedly indulged in accusing me of relying FM for information.

I'll bump it tomorrow. I seem to remember you saying how he was a big influence on the team even though the match going Mackems said he was shit, when I asked you how many times you've seen him you couldn't answer, I even asked you if you had seen him once and you kept avoiding answering me, correct?

Feel free Baggio. You can do what you want here, it is a free world.

I don't really like to get into any arguments anymore on N-O. First with NE5, well you know how he is like. Then with Gejon, who just like you, jump in the FM bashing bandwagon happily "when they're losing an argument." And you.

But I am still enjoyably basked in your FM compliment, I thank you for that.

Losing an argument is not the same as putting a smog fan in his place about raving about players he's never seen is it? You keep thinking you were right though and the match going Mackems were wrong. Raving about players you've never seen is as bad as it gets tbh.

Eih? I see you have adopted NE5's opinion on me.

Is this another compliment? I can't take too many at once Baggio.

Peace Baggio. You just need to say that you are the glorious righteous knowledgeable minority who aren't part of the "most people" in the "most people do that when they're losing an argument."

Good night Baggio.

Feel free Baggio. You can do what you want here, it is a free world.

I don't really like to get into any arguments anymore on N-O. First with NE5, well you know how he is like. Then with Gejon, who just like you, jump in the FM bashing bandwagon happily "when they're losing an argument." And you.

But I am still enjoyably basked in your FM compliment, I thank you for that.

Well you blatantly do get all your football "knowledge" from FM :lol: