Wing Swapping

NSG

Wasn't brilliant today, but I think in the long term, especially with Duff coming back, it's a quality idea. Never let's the full back settle on one individual winger and allows players to cut in or go to the byline. Something I've wanted introducing into our game for a while. :thup:

Wasn't brilliant today, but I think in the long term, especially with Duff coming back, it's a quality idea. Never let's the full back settle on one individual winger and allows players to cut in or go to the byline. Something I've wanted introducing into our game for a while. :thup:

Duff and Robben were good at doing that when they were at Chelsea.

Guest Coubury

Id rather have it

when i played football on school i was often played on the left even tho my left foot was weaker

also when cutting in and crossing i found it much better as i was swinging in the cross towards goal and if i was on the right i was often crossing between the 6 yard box and then edge of the box unless i tried to serve it in with the outside of my boot which neevr really worked lol

Guest Knightrider

Wenger prefers wingers who cut in field as it gives the fullbacks chance to overlap outside of them.

It also forces the opposition full-back to squeeze in field meaning centre-backs are often on top of one another. You will see many hapless clearances and mistakes from this week in week out, pandemonium can occur. Basically you're forcing the opposition to abandon it's defensive shape, as well as allowing your own to expand (full-backs pushing on)

I can see the advantages of switching wingers. But surely the whole points of playing with 'wingers' is to give the midfield a bit of width and provide crosses to attack. Switching wingers negates the option of getting to the bye-line and standing crosses up because the full back knows straight away that it's coming inside and can, generally, deal with it much easier.

Of course having a pair of two-footed wingers is the ideal option... :rolleyes:

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Duff and Robben were good at doing that when they were at Chelsea.

When Quaresma and Ronaldo do it for Portugal it is an incredible sight.

Totally depends on who the wingers are and who's up front. For example, had Solano & Robert kept swapping wings when we had Shearer up top, we'd have had nowhere near as much success those two seasons. However, if you've got Milner & Duff on the wings who both like to cut in, and Owen upfront, then it could work given a chance.