Transport from Readings ground

Guest Micktoon

Guest Micktoon

Well now i've managed to secure tickets for the Reading game.  :celb: Could someone who has been to Reading before let me know what arrangements, if any, are made for the away fans to get back to the train station. I'm in London for a weekend break from Denmark and have already promised to take wor lass to the west end to see Chicago  :blush:  so I'm on a time scale.

Mind i'm also going to Wembley for the NFL on the Sunday so it's ganna be a busy couple of days.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

There are no arrangements in that sense, you have to make your own.

The Stadium is around 3 miles from Reading Central station. I'd suggest a taxi, that's what my mates and I are planning to do.

Guest Micktoon

There are no arrangements in that sense, you have to make your own.

The Stadium is around 3 miles from Reading Central station. I'd suggest a taxi, that's what my mates and I are planning to do.

Thanks for that Taxi it is then

There is a regular bus shuttle straight to the ground from right outside the Railway Station - there is a big pub with outdoor seating as part of the station and you can see the line from there - bus every 5 minutes

Trouble is you need to leave the centre a good 45 minutes before the game - Reading were notorious last year for only having a couple of gates and some seriously officious stewards for away fans

Getting BACK from the ground can be a nightmare - not enough buses and no taxis - my mates there reckon its as fast to walk - or at least walk over to get a local bus to the east of the ground

if time is tight pre book a taxi and get them to collect you a few minutes walk from the ground is my suggestion - plenty of trains to Landahn - one about every 10 minutes - make sure you get a nonstop to Paddington - the stoppers take up to an hour

Someone was saying they are going to open a railway station at the ground in a couple of years but that don't help us this year

Guest jamesmartinsmith

There is a regular bus shuttle straight to the ground from right outside the Railway Station - there is a big pub with outdoor seating as part of the station and you can see the line from there - bus every 5 minutes

Excellent, the walk would take at least an hour.

Trouble is you need to leave the centre a good 45 minutes before the game - Reading were notorious last year for only having a couple of gates and some seriously officious stewards for away fans

what do you mean about the stewards?

A Liverpool supporter in the office went there last season and said they were bloody dreadful - bossy, no humour and when the crowd got narked as they wouldn't open a couple of closed gates at the away end they turned very nasty and stared stopping people from getting in at all - and I've heard simialr from others -

the fans are OK but there seems to be some folk who think just because they've reached the PL they must be IMPORTANT

Guest toonlass

The stewards are just a bit OTT on the gates, line you up outside and search you if they feel like it. I haven't experienced it anywhere else like that to be honest. They are just a bit over-zealous.

I dont think you have to worry too much about public transport if you are in London, as Reading is the last major terminal before London Paddington, and thus trains to London are going to be very frequent.

Between 18:58 and 19:18 on a Saturday, there are 5 trains.

i remember when i used to live in Reading that the Police used to make some fans walk back to the station. on a Saturday or Sunday the main roads would be shut off at times and you'd have to wait for the fans to wander down the dual carridgeway before you could drive on.

not really relevant to the main point of the thread but i'm fuckin bored at work so i thought i'd share

Guest jamesmartinsmith

they haven't been filling their ground this season according to the table in the Indie yesterday.......

might be able to get a ticket in amongst the prawn sandwich brigade

For £35.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Last season there were 2 buses waiting outside the away end and were quite quick to get back to the station.

Can you remember the service number?

Guest derek sausage

A couple of questions for anyone whose been before. Can you get a beer in the away end ?and does the pub at the station allow kids in with an adult ?

Thanks a lot.

A couple of questions for anyone whose been before. Can you get a beer in the away end ?

Thanks a lot.

I think they don't serve away fans who are known to persiently stand. Am sure when Man Utd, Liverpool and West Ham have played them they wouldn't sell beer because they thought it made the away end stand.

Last season there were 2 buses waiting outside the away end and were quite quick to get back to the station.

I assume every bus outside the ground goes to the station. We just got on and when it was full it left. No numbers although i think i was £3 single and £5 return but no option on a Monday night last year. This year as its a Saturday people may just wander back locally so its a bit quieter.

We went to a pub in the middle of the town away from the station and it was fine and much nearer the ground. I think the cab was only £6.

Guest derek sausage

A couple of questions for anyone whose been before. Can you get a beer in the away end ?

Thanks a lot.

I think they don't serve away fans who are known to persiently stand. Am sure when Man Utd, Liverpool and West Ham have played them they wouldn't sell beer because they thought it made the away end stand.

Cheers for that. Best have a drink elsewhere then.

Its signed for the MadStad - and all the Reading fans in the queue are a bit of a giveaway

NOT ALL THE BUSES IN FRONT OF THE STATION GO TO THE GROUND

The concourse is effectively Reading's Bus Station so there are buses going everywhere but its very clear which are the ones for teh game

A couple of questions for anyone whose been before. Can you get a beer in the away end ?and does the pub at the station allow kids in with an adult ?

Thanks a lot.

See everyone else for beers - there are some bars OUTSIDE the gates but hide your scarf

the Pub at the station doesn't serve kids inside I think - but across the road are a couple of decent places (one is called the something Club but its a decent bar) and the new Malmaison across the street has a cafe (expensive)

If you come out of the Station turn left - opposite the RailAir buses for Theifrow - that way there are a lot of pubs..........    in desperation the Old Town Hall (2 minutes) that way has a bar with sitting outside as well

Guest derek sausage

Thanks a lot.

See everyone else for beers - there are some bars OUTSIDE the gates but hide your scarf

the Pub at the station doesn't serve kids inside I think - but across the road are a couple of decent places (one is called the something Club but its a decent bar) and the new Malmaison across the street has a cafe (expensive)

If you come out of the Station turn left - opposite the RailAir buses for Theifrow - that way there are a lot of pubs..........    in desperation the Old Town Hall (2 minutes) that way has a bar with sitting outside as well

Thanks for your help

Guest Reading Fan

Reading is rubbish for away fans I'm sorry to say.

Apparantly the buses have been a nightmare this season as well. Stewards at Reading are useless.