Alan Kennedy

Guest Pie

Always thought he supported the mackems.  ??? Just said he supported Newcastle. Just been on Liverpool channel talking of his days supporting and playing for us and calling us 'we'. Still not as good as the other fullback at the time.

Always thought he supported the mackems.  ??? Just said he supported Newcastle. Just been on Liverpool channel talking of his days supporting and playing for us and calling us 'we'. Still not as good as the other fullback at the time.

I'm sure he did support the mackems, he came from Penshaw so he lived a couple of miles from mackemland, I knew his sister and she looked exactly the same as him, she had the same bent nose.  I thought Kennedy was as good as Nattrass if that's who you're on about as being better.  David Craig was better than them both, pity about his injury.

Irving Nattrass was good but Alan Kennedy's cupboard full of medals would say he was better.

David may better than Shearer then?  :parky:

Mick, I always thought that too as he is from Sunderland but his dad (mother a mackem) was a mag and 'swayed' him and his brother to supporting Newcastle.

I'm sure he did support the mackems, he came from Penshaw so he lived a couple of miles from mackemland, I knew his sister and she looked exactly the same as him, she had the same bent nose.  I thought Kennedy was as good as Nattrass if that's who you're on about as being better.  David Craig was better than them both, pity about his injury.

Agreed. Mick is right, Kennedy alwasy said he supported the mackems.

Just been on live telly saying he supported us.  ???

Irving Nattrass was good but Alan Kennedy's cupboard full of medals would say he was better.

Mick, I always thought that too as he is from Sunderland but his dad (mother a mackem) was a mag and 'swayed' him and his brother to supporting Newcastle.

Wierd comment by billy, its like saying Vinne Jones is better than Rob Lee because he won an FA Cup Winners medal.

For my money, I think Irving Nattrass is possibly one of the best, if not the best, most athletic, versatile and accomplished all round defenders I've ever seen at Newcastle. Kennedy was an attacking full back, and fitted into the Liverpool team as the other full back - Phil Neal - was an out and out defensive one.

But give me Nattrass, on their own merits, every time.

Wierd comment by billy, its like saying Vinne Jones is better than Rob Lee because he won an FA Cup Winners medal.

For my money, I think Irving Nattrass is possibly one of the best, most athletic, versatile and accomplished all round defenders I've ever seen at Newcastle. Kennedy was an attacking full back, and fitted into the Liverpool team as the other full back - Phil Neal - was an out and out defensive one.

Agreed.

methinks Mr Kennedy is telling

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:J_uI_f37oTnwxM:http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/3/35/Pork_Pie.jpg

Guest GeordieAce

We do alot of work for 'Irv the swerve' :lol: always telling us how if he was in todays game he'd be on at least 40k a week. Top bloke like.

methinks Mr Kennedy is telling

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:J_uI_f37oTnwxM:http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/3/35/Pork_Pie.jpg

Perhaps he is. Can't figure out why he would though

For my money, I think Irving Nattrass is possibly one of the best, if not the best, most athletic, versatile and accomplished all round defenders I've ever seen at Newcastle. Kennedy was an attacking full back, and fitted into the Liverpool team as the other full back - Phil Neal - was an out and out defensive one.

My point is,and to be fair,you have stretched it a bit with the Vinnie Jones/Rob Lee  example,Alan Kennedy was an integral part of a fine Liverpool side that won European cups etc.,Paisley or maybe Shankly saw Kennedy as that important part to  the team and went and got him.Irving was a fine attacking full back but was head hunted by Middlesboro?I liked Nattrass as i say but looking at the bigger picture,Kennedy was a renowned left back through Europe with his European Cup medals,including one where he scored the winner against Real Madrid in Paris,whereas Nattrass never quite fulfilled his potential,career wise.

Ridiculous comparison tbh.

A fine reponse to a daft, and flawed, method of assessing ability tbh

A fine reponse to a daft, and flawed, method of assessing ability tbh

Cheers pie,good of you to see the error of your ways >:D

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It is not often I agree with you, but here you are spot on.

I wonder how much he or David Craig would cost to buy, if they were playing today?

I'd go for Kennedy on merit, if only for the injury record of the two.

Guest KeithKettleborough

I think both were good players but it was probably kennedys attitude and a move to Liverpool that meant he went onto success and Nattrass got nowt.

Irving was probably a bit lazier that Kennedy was. If he had Alans attitude he should have been an England regular even in those days when an England cap was something to treasure, as when he was really breaking into the team, he looked like he had it all.

Kennedy was more of a raw talent with many faults initially but it was probably moving to Liverpool that made him the success he was. Irving maybe didnt improve that much after he became a regular in the team. Still a good player but never great. Perhaps if he had gone to Liverpool say, he would have been pushed into becoming the star he should have become.

He somewhat reminds me of Steven Taylor, though not in the style of play. A star in the making but at the end of the day, never fulfilling the initial promise I felt he had.

As KeithKettleborough says, it was Kennedy's move to L/Pool which gained him his medals - Nattrass was a better defender, but had a bad injury when we played B/Ham in a bad-tempered series of games in 1973, just as he was coming into his own - Kenny Burns nearly took his leg off with a tackle which would probably have got him banned for life these days...

Nattrass recovered, but in addition to the time out of the game, he was used in a variety of positions because of his versatility - I reckon one of his best-ever games was in midfield against Liverpool.

Kennedy was a tad quicker going forward, but tended to dive in on wingers instead of jockeying them.

Both were class players who would have been worth millions today - we could have had a really decent defence back in 75/76 if we had had an ambitious board who would have backed a move for a top CH like Beattie at Ipswich, or Watson from the Mackems(went to Man City) ; that was all that stopped us from being a side chasing Europe every year at that time, or even winning something - we came very close with the 2-1 defeat by Man C at Wembley when haif the team had flu.

KeithKettleborough's assessment is very good, although I reckon Nattrass was a much better footballer than Steven Taylor.

My point is,and to be fair,you have stretched it a bit with the Vinnie Jones/Rob Lee  example,Alan Kennedy was an integral part of a fine Liverpool side that won European cups etc.,Paisley or maybe Shankly saw Kennedy as that important part to  the team and went and got him.Irving was a fine attacking full back but was head hunted by Middlesboro?I liked Nattrass as i say but looking at the bigger picture,Kennedy was a renowned left back through Europe with his European Cup medals,including one where he scored the winner against Real Madrid in Paris,whereas Nattrass never quite fulfilled his potential,career wise.

agree Billy....... I know I stretched it a bit mate.......

Also agree about Paisley seeing Kennedy as the type of fulll back he wanted to play in his team. I think that Nattrass, because he seemed slightly reserved, only lacked the "push" to move onto really big things. He didn't appear to be much of a talker, or a leader, which is why he never really fulfilled his potential. You could say that alone meant he wasn't as good as some people say, if you think personality and desire is part of the make up of a top player like I do, and I couldn't really disagree with that angle of comment.

One of the best defensive performances I have ever saw from anyone was by Nattrass on a Friday night away to West Ham where they threw everything at us and he was just immense, playing as a centre back [or sweeper as they called it]. It was as good a performance as anything people like Woodgate ever produced. We won 1-0, with a breakaway goal, and from that point I always thought we should have got another right back and played him there.

Edit:

As KK and merlin say, sometimes the move is the making of the player, and Nattrass would have developed more desire if he had moved to a club that challenged for the trophies. We will never know, but its probably right.

I know it hasn't been the easiest of rides over the years for us.

But at times I am quite gutted I'm only 22 and never got the chance to see the likes of Tony Green, Gazza during the 86/87 season (which me dad never shuts up about) Nattrass, Hibbett, Tommy Craig etc in their pomp for us.

I know it hasn't been the easiest of rides over the years for us.

But at times I am quite gutted I'm only 22 and never got the chance to see the likes of Tony Green, Gazza during the 86/87 season (which me dad never shuts up about) Nattrass, Hibbett, Tommy Craig etc in their pomp for us.

Football in the days of standing terraces etc was better than now johnny, thats the main difference. It was great seeing those individual players, but believe me, supporting Newcastle now is watching a far better club than those days. You will grow up and talk about Shearer, Rob Lee, Ginola, Sir Les and the title challenge in 1996. People of my age never had anything like that.

It is less of a working mans game now, and so has suffered. Those players were players who were closer to the public than too many players now.