No 4-3-3 no hope ...

KaKa

We played the 4-3-3 today for half an hour. Didn't help.

I was thinking more from a defensive standpoint.

I think we need to play the 4-3-3 until we settle down at the back. It's not like we are so much better attacking wise in the 4-4-2 anyway.

Can't have your cake and eat it though. If we play a defensive 4-3-3 (if it's possible) that means Geremi, Butt and maybe Smith in midfield. Not good.

Nah ... we could go with Butt, Barton and Geremi or indeed Butt, Barton and Emre. Nothing wrong with that at all I actually think it would make our overall passing play better when we attack.

How is Butt, Barton and Emre in a three more defensive than four across the middle?

Well it's a 4-5-1 when we defend. So the wide forwards play a roll defensively just like Diouf and Davies did at Bolton. Therefore the midfield is much tighter.

How is Butt, Barton and Emre in a three more defensive than four across the middle?

Well it's a 4-5-1 when we defend. So the wide forwards play a roll defensively just like Diouf and Davies did at Bolton. Therefore the midfield is much tighter.

We don't have the players then.

We don't have the players then.

Any two of Martins, Zoggy and Milner could do a serviceable job. Preferrably Martins and Zoggy though.