Newcastle United 1 - 4 Portsmouth - 03/11/07 - Post match reaction from page 21

James

The result had fuck all to do with the ref.

Barton's first half performance was a joke, think he mis-placed at least 10 passes.

No idea why he didnt swap the wingers over after we went 2 behind.

Well done Sam for hauling Cacapa off after 15 mins.

Portsmouth are a stronger side than us. 

The result had fuck all to do with the ref.

Whichever charva was sitting next to me actually laid the blame squarely at the door of the referee.  If I hadn't been furious at the time I'd probably have laughed.

The result had f*** all to do with the ref.

Whichever charva was sitting next to me actually laid the blame squarely at the door of the referee.  If I hadn't been furious at the time I'd probably have laughed.

on this thread the slagging off of the ref was qualified by sayong it had sod all to do with the result and he was equally shit both ways..........which is probably wrong as he gave the bigger decisions against portsmouth

Anyone who thinks we lost today because of allardyce needs to take a step back and think for a second. The only peculiar thing today was the use of Zog and Milner, although at times it worked (especially Zog when he was cutting inside).

Sam could not have done anything about the first 3 goals. Number 2 and 3 were particularly amatuerish.

And to say his tactics weren't good is stupid looking at today.

Do you really think tactics come into it when you're 3 nil down after 11 mins?

In that situation the players take it into their own hands to perform in a way that will help them get back into the game. Our players seemed to decide that hitting high and hopeful balls was the way to get into it.

I'm 100% sure Sam wanted them to play a better quality of football in possesion, and I'm 100% sure we would have had we not gone 3 nil down.

lots were saying before the game to play rozenhal as pompey dont play up and at em. then after we were 3 down we never looked like getting into it (milner n'zogbia switch after 60 mins)...did martins come on at half time ?  did allardyce think at half time that his starting team (give roz for cacapa) would get us back in to it ?

Anyone who thinks we lost today because of allardyce needs to take a step back and think for a second. The only peculiar thing today was the use of Zog and Milner, although at times it worked (especially Zog when he was cutting inside).

Sam could not have done anything about the first 3 goals. Number 2 and 3 were particularly amatuerish.

In that situation the players take it into their own hands to perform in a way that will help them get back into the game. Our players seemed to decide that hitting high and hopeful balls was the way to get into it.

I'm 100% sure Sam wanted them to play a better quality of football in possesion, and I'm 100% sure we would have had we not gone 3 nil down.

:clap:

Madras, none of the ref's decisions made a blinding bit of difference to the result. He may have got more wrong in their favour but we were already 3 behind before he even got involved.

Everyone has said that. ???

Madras, none of the ref's decisions made a blinding bit of difference to the result. He may have got more wrong in their favour but we were already 3 behind before he even got involved.

i think i was the first to say that

You're right, i mis-read it. Ref was awful though. 

we know already

lots were saying before the game to play rozenhal as pompey dont play up and at em. then after we were 3 down we never looked like getting into it (milner n'zogbia switch after 60 mins)...did martins come on at half time ?  did allardyce think at half time that his starting team (give roz for cacapa) would get us back in to it ?

It's all ifs and buts though. On another day Cacapa would have dealt with goal 2 and 3 easily (i.e just cleared them both), and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

As for Martins, he did f*** all when he came on anyway (even if you can argue that he should have been on earlier), so I'm not sure what your argument is.

my point is and i'll spell it out clearly for you......do you think, being 3-1 down at half time and showing little like getting back into it that we should keep the same 11(given roz for cacapa)?

we know already

well done you.  :clap2:

On another note, Owen's shooting was weak today and emre only looked as good as he did because Porstmouth were sat off by the time he came on.

I seem to recall Sam saying (upon appointment) to all the fans that there would be tough times in the early stages, but he would always strive to get things right. I guess we'll see next weekend just how long it will be before Ashley and Mort will wield the axe. If they do, then I'll hang my head in despair. Sooner or later we need (as a club) to simply learn the fucking hard lesson of how to build a successful team and not (as fans) pile on ridiculously high expectation. Slow and steady always wins the race. I'm off for another pint of whwisky.

I seem to recall Sam saying (upon appointment) to all the fans that there would be tough times in the early stages, but he would always strive to get things right. I guess we'll see next weekend just how long it will be before Ashley and Mort will wield the axe. If they do, then I'll hang my head in despair. Sooner or later we need (as a club) to simply learn the f****** hard lesson of how to build a successful team and not (as fans) pile on ridiculously high expectation. Slow and steady always wins the race. I'm off for another pint of whwisky.

whats pissing people off is that we have a squad much better than the performances given.

I seem to recall Sam saying (upon appointment) to all the fans that there would be tough times in the early stages, but he would always strive to get things right. I guess we'll see next weekend just how long it will be before Ashley and Mort will wield the axe. If they do, then I'll hang my head in despair. Sooner or later we need (as a club) to simply learn the f****** hard lesson of how to build a successful team and not (as fans) pile on ridiculously high expectation. Slow and steady always wins the race. I'm off for another pint of whwisky.

whats pissing people off is that we have a squad much better than the performances given.

It doesn't help seeing Sven work such amazing magic with his newly formed squad at Man City and them sdoing quite so blisteringly well either.

Does kinda undermine any arguments people may try to make about Sam needing time to settle and gel the team...

It's all ifs and buts though. On another day Cacapa would have dealt with goal 2 and 3 easily (i.e just cleared them both), and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

As for Martins, he did f*** all when he came on anyway (even if you can argue that he should have been on earlier), so I'm not sure what your argument is.

my point is and i'll spell it out clearly for you......do you think, being 3-1 down at half time and showing little like getting back into it that we should keep the same 11(given roz for cacapa)?

I understand your point, but there is also an argument that the starting eleven should hold the burden of trying to get us back into the game, and be given a 10-15 minute chance of getting us back into it... and then, if we don't get back into it, change it around.

I don't know, maybe Martins could have come on earlier, but I wouldn't say Sam got that wrong, because it is debatable.

they had the previous half hour to get back into it. fair enough if we were 1 goal down but 2 down and playing shit needed a drastic change.

Interesting to listen to Benjani in the post match interviews.

When asked by the BBC interviewer about what's changed about Portsmouth away from home this season compared to last season he said that they now go out there with a mentality to attack and win this season whereas last season they set out to defend against the home team.

Interesting to note that some teams still set out to win away from home even if we're not one of them.

These comments from Benjani after the game were particularly relevant to our current situation. Portsmouth go away from home with a positive attitude and belief, they don't fear anybody and fair play to them, they got what they deserved today even if the scoreline flattered them a bit. We need to take a leaf out of their book, they did to us what we should have done to Reading.

It doesn't help seeing Sven work such amazing magic with his newly formed squad at Man City and them sdoing quite so blisteringly well either.

Does kinda undermine any arguments people may try to make about Sam needing time to settle and gel the team...

They've started the season very well, but let's see how they react to that mauling by Chelsea.

Do we?

Beye, Cacapa, Roz, Enrique are all unknown quantities still. We exagerate (myself included) the ability of players like Martins, Milner, Emre, and Taylor. Their true levels are probably that of an Everton team or a West Ham team.

I don't know how good our squad is tbh, because although on paper we think we have a bunch of good players, they have very rarely shown it over the past few years.

you do have a point there but i'm posting about derby,boro and reading not just today