Bruce leaves Birmingham for Wigan

Thespence

Guest The Libertine

"Steve Bruce, who is set to leave Birmingham to become Wigan boss on Monday, will sign a four-year deal worth £8m. Wigan will be forced to pay Birmingham £3m for the former Manchester United defender."

if thats true, thats a LOT of money for a fairly crap manager.

IS it just me that thinks Bruce is a decent manager? Done a good job on limited funds at Brum

I would be interested to see what he has spent, always thought he had spent a fair bit there...  :undecided:

I think they gave him a decent amount to spend when they first got promoted to the Premiership and after getting relegated last year to make sure they bounced back straight away. Apart from that they haven't give him much.

If you look at his transfer dealings this summer he did pretty well for both numbers and quality on a small budget. He'd get double his money back on Kapo now. De Ridder and Palacios were good finds on a free transfer and nominal fee respectively, good technical footballers.

Djourou was an astute loan signing and if Borja Oubina hadn't got a season ending injury he would have done the business for them on loan too. The lad has got a couple of Spain caps. Bit of a poor mans Xabi Alonso.

Although he did sign Liam Ridgewell for some reason and Maik Taylor still gets a game so it wasn't all good.

wow, looking at that list what would that man do without his wenger connection? last year he had 3 arsenal loanees. this year he gets djourou on loan. palacios had a trial with arsenal and wenger didn't have room for him so he called bruce and told him about palacios. and arsenal have a technical relationship with celta vigo and what do you know de ridder and oubina both played for vigo.

look for wigan to have a similar arsenal influence.

Not a bad influence to have tbf.

Guest The Libertine

Former Tottenham boss Martin Jol has rejected an approach from Birmingham to discuss the vacant manager's job at St Andrews.

The club are currently hunting for a replacement for Steve Bruce who left Blues on Monday to join Wigan.

"We did speak to Martin over the weekend," said City's plc chairman David Sullivan.

"Martin thanked us for our interest but said it was too early for him to consider coming back to football."

Jol was sacked from his position at Spurs in October after three years at White Hart Lane.

The Dutchman was replaced in controversial fashion by former Seville coach Juande Ramos, who was courted by Spurs whilst Jol was still in charge.

Meanwhile, Sullivan, whose club received £3m in compensation from Wigan for the loss of Bruce, said the search would continue for a new manager of a similar calibre to Jol.

"Martin is the type of coach we are looking at - someone with a pedigree that will excite supporters," he said.

Sullivan added: "The usual suspects will be on everyone's lips but this could be a fresh start for Birmingham.

"We are looking at candidates of a certain level. It is difficult to try to get someone in who the dressing room will respect.

"Do you take a chance on an unproven coach at this level with a group of young players who will need guidance and will be looking for inspiration?

"Or do you go for a more experienced voice, someone respected in the world of football?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/7103029.stm

David O'Leary is available and has been mentioned around these parts.

Short of, say, winning the lottery, I honestly can't think of anything which would make me happier at the moment.

Souness? :)

*chortle, chortle*

David O'Leary is available and has been mentioned around these parts.

Short of, say, winning the lottery, I honestly can't think of anything which would make me happier at the moment.

Souness? :)

*chortle, chortle*

That would be a good consolation prize, but for us lot, DOL would be absolute manna from heaven.