What is our best forward line?

Guest nufc_geordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd probably prefer Viduka as a target man with either Owen or Martins running off him, or both in fact against weaker opposition.

Smith is OK up front, not offensively bad or anything like Shola can be at his worst.

The problem with Viduka is he takes so damn long to get his match fitness back after an injury. Love to see the big man in action when he is fully fit but when he's below full fitness as against Arsenal he doesnt look half the player.

Assuming dooks could well spend the season on the injury and recovery cycle, any 2 of Owen, Martins and Smith is for me pretty decent and should get goals against most EPL teams. Just doesnt have that added bit of class though that the fit dooks can bring to the game, or the physical and aerial presence.

Martins simply isn't clever enough to be a really top class striker.  He doesn't have either the instincts of a natural goalscorer or the ability to read the game well enough.

Martins has allready showed glimpses of a world class striker.  A lot of big clubs wanted him tbh.

If a lot of big clubs really wanted him then he wouldn't still be here.  With his pace Martins will always be a threat but a fit Owen would have had a load of chances last night running onto Smiths flick ons.  If Martins can learn to read the game better then great, but I've seen enough promising players over the years that never improved that side of their game to know that it's not necessarily something that just comes with age and experience.

Harsh on Martins i feel, he did some excellent long passes yesterday, some good skill, nice interchange outside the box, a couple good crosses, a dummy for the goal and a class run leaving half the arsenal side chasing him. He wasn't wasteful at all apart from when he should have passed to Geremi when he was clear through however he was good apart from that plus he was double marked in the second half too by Clichy and Traore(?) which is why he didn't do very much compared to the first half. Also did nobody see his take down from Butts long range pass he had it dead in one go, people need to stop saying his first touch is awful when really its not that bad, not the best touch in the world but certainly not the worst either. Don't forget he is still our top goalscorer this season with 6 goals thats very respectable for how far we are into the season.

I think that we could make a partnership out of any two of Smith, Viduka, Owen and Martins tbh. They will just need a run of games together.

Hopefully after last night we have seen Smith play in centre midfield for the last time (yn). He was exactly what we needed up top last night, and he will be against the other teams in the top half and away games at the likes of Villa, Spuds, Everton, Pompey etc.

How good is Enrique? I havent seen much of him tbh, better LB than Zoggy? i just don't rate him at there. Brilliant winger though.

4-4-2

Given

Beye Taylor Rozenhal Enrique

Milner Barton Butt N'zogbia

Viduka/Smith/Owen/Martins