4-3-3 will improve us

Yorkie

Yeah, the Jonas acquisition really threw a spanner in the works for trying to figure out our system for next year, as he would appear to be an out and out winger from what I've read.

As you say, I wouldn't be surprised if Martins leaves, though I really hope he doesn't. Owen and Martins as a duo though, could it work?

Only if we assembled a midfield that had the ability to keep the ball on the deck and work it forward without resorting to long balls. Owen can hold the ball up and be the link man, but only as long as he's getting ball into feet. Against weaker opposition, I think it could work. But against sides better than us I'm not so sure.

Still, I'd rather we bring in another striker to give us a different option, but also keep hold of Martins and Owen.

I honestly don't see how we can accomodate both Martins and Owen in a 4-4-2. I can't see them working a s a pairing and there has been no evidence so far that disproves my theroy.

The formation is all so much up in the air until we complete our summer spending. KK has favoured 4-4-2 in the past with us(although he has dabbled with other formations) and when he has the personell to play it I can see him reverting back, that may make Martins surplus to requirements but obviously at this moment in time there is no way in hell we ca let him go.

If we're going to be going 4-4-2 then we really are going to have to sign a quality centre-midfielder. Well, we need to anyway tbh, but moreso if we're going back to that formation, with Owen returning to the out-and-out striker role. I don't even know if Owen's still up to that tbh, he wasn't last season so it seemed, but that could have been more to do with the rest of the team, which was thoroughly un-creative in a 4-4-2. Even so, he isn't a pacy striker anymore.

We need another winger, unless N'Zogbia's up for it, and a quality centre-mid if we're going back to the traditional. The prospect of Butt/Guthrie being our number one centre-mid pairing really makes me want to die. The strikers situation doesn't really change, but we have to get centre-mid sorted this summer, or we're fucked again for another season as far as challenging for Europe goes.

I hope we just stick with the dynamic 4-3-3 tbh. :undecided:

If we're going to be going 4-4-2 then we really are going to have to sign a quality centre-midfielder. Well, we need to anyway tbh, but moreso if we're going back to that formation, with Owen returning to the out-and-out striker role. I don't even know if Owen's still up to that tbh, he wasn't last season so it seemed, but that could have been more to do with the rest of the team, which was thoroughly un-creative in a 4-4-2. Even so, he isn't a pacy striker anymore.

We need another winger, unless N'Zogbia's up for it, and a quality centre-mid if we're going back to the traditional. The prospect of Butt/Guthrie being our number one centre-mid pairing really makes me want to die. The strikers situation doesn't really change, but we have to get centre-mid sorted this summer, or we're f***ed again for another season as far as challenging for Europe goes.

I hope we just stick with the dynamic 4-3-3 tbh. :undecided:

Everton have played Carsley and Cahill centrally with Arteta and Pienaar out wide and looked good.

We could definitely get away with playing Butt and Barton centrally with Jonas and Aimar (hypothetically) wide and look good too.

Cahill and Carsely are not really creative at all and all of their creativity comes from their wings for the most part. Could be an idea we go with.

Owen I believe would be okay up front with a striker with pace, power and a physical presence. An Adebayor or Drogba type essentially. Unfortunately these are the most expensive types of strikers to get so buying a striker like this might mean selling Martins.

Cahill pisses all over Barton imo, and i don't know much about Carsley; but Butt's fucking wank.

Find it hard to see how anyone can deny that we need a quality centre-mid... ???

Cahill pisses all over Barton imo, and i don't know much about Carsley; but Butt's f***ing w***.

Find it hard to see how anyone can deny that we need a quality centre-mid... ???

Someone like Xabi Alonso would be about right. :)

Cahill pisses all over Barton imo, and i don't know much about Carsley; but Butt's f***ing w***.

Not denying it. Just saying there are different ways of going about things. Cahill is great at arriving in the box to score but he is by no means a midfielder that makes things happen with his passing or anything, and Carsley is basically a poor man's Nicky Butt.