Almunia for England?

Mr. Snrub

No, how stupid would be that be, Spanish nationality playing for England, i don't agree with it one bit. If you're English you play for England, if you're Spanish you play for Spain.

I think he will become a British citizen, hence why he can play for England.

I know :lol: It's not the point is it? He was born in Spain.

Loads of players are born in one country and go on to represent another.

International Football is a dying sport anyway, everything that has happened in the past 20 years has gone against Nationalism.

No, how stupid would be that be, Spanish nationality playing for England, i don't agree with it one bit. If you're English you play for England, if you're Spanish you play for Spain.

What about the technically Canadian Owen Hargreaves?

I'd struggle to place Almunia in the top 10 goalkeepers in the Premiership and to be honest I find it laughable that his name has even been mentioned. I'd rather have Harper, Green, Carson, James or Foster - I'd even prefer Robinson to be honest. 

It's Christmas.. we all had a few too many.

I can handle someone who's roots are based within our nation, but to have someone who was born in a neighbouring european country with absolute no link to the nation but 'qualify' through technicalities is just a little bit too much for me. 

Almunia=qualified englishman

I can handle someone who's roots are based within our nation, but to have someone who was born in a neighbouring european country with absolute no link to the nation but 'qualify' through technicalities is just a little bit too much for me. 

[Parky]

But you know all of us came from Africa, right?

[/Parky]

Englishman, in your own words?

I can absolutely understand your sentiment, I am against the appointment of Capello, or any other foreign coach. But Almunia if he qualifies technically as an Englishman surely must be considered as Englishman?

I don't rate Almunia and I don't wish him near the national team because he is no better than who are already there. But if he decides to be an English and he is accepted legally then he must receive equal treatement, as guaranteed constitutionally, as other law abiding Englishman.

Call them up, use them so that their Country of birth can never call them up again.

It really doesn't matter whether they get called up again. That's a discussion for future. At least, we secure the option. I always prefer an additional option than no option.

Regards,

Ericz

Isn't this what the French have been doing to the African nations for years.

Sincerely

Dog.

[Parky]

But you know all of us came from Africa, right?

[/Parky]

lol, touche mr aspith, touche

I can absolutely understand your sentiment, I am against the appointment of Capello, or any other foreign coach. But Almunia if he qualifies technically as an Englishman surely must be considered as Englishman?

I don't rate Almunia and I don't wish him near the national team because he is no better than who are already there. But if he decides to be an English and he is accepted legally then he must receive equal treatement, as guaranteed constitutionally, as other law abiding Englishman.

Ya see, the strange thing is is that i have absolutely no problems whatsoever with a forigen manager, for me, those 90minutes on the pitch with 11 players representing the country is far more important for "national pride" than having a foriegn 'pupeteer' pulling the strings off the pitch.

Thats the way i see it. As long as the car is english i dont mind what the nationality of the driver is.

Ya see, the strange thing is is that i have absolutely no problems whatsoever with a forigen manager, for me, those 90minutes on the pitch with 11 players representing the country is far more important for "national pride" than having a foriegn 'pupeteer' pulling the strings off the pitch.

Thats the way i see it. As long as the car is english i dont mind what the nationality of the driver is.

How do you define English? English by nationality, or English by ethinicity (ie white Anglo-Saxon, excluding McLaren, Allardyce, Ince etc all English nationals of  Scottish, Irish, African etc origin)?

How could you accept a foreign coach and not a foreign player? Imagine the prime minister being an Italian.

How do you define English? English by nationality, or English by ethinicity (ie white Anglo-Saxon, excluding McLaren, Allardyce, Ince etc all English nationals of  Scottish, Irish, African etc origin)?

How could you accept a foreign coach and not a foreign player? Imagine the prime minister being an Italian.

I'd define an englishman as someone who's roots are based in england. Id stretch as far as sayin that the player could be born in Iraqistan but if National pride is incorporated in those 90minutes, not those 2 months of preperation beforehand!

I'd define an englishman as someone who's roots are based in england.

i.e. you would accept an Aussie nationality whose grandparents migrated to Australia 100 years ago to play for English national team?

Id stretch as far as sayin that the player could be born in Iraqistan but if National pride is incorporated in those 90minutes, not those 2 months of preperation beforehand!

How would you quantify national pride? If Almunia comes out and say he is proud to play for England national team would you accept him? Many of the England national team members have been putting in half hearted performance, would you accept them as English??

Almunia hasn't suddenly become English though, he'll just have lived long enough in England to qualify.  I seriously doubt he's about to give up his Spanish citizenship just to play for England.  If he qualifies, he should be in the team because he's good enough and he should play because he's the best player in that position, end of.