Almunia for England?

Mr. Snrub

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12010_3003528,00.html

Arsene Wenger has advised new England boss Fabio Capello to call on goalkeeper Manuel Almunia. The Arsenal shot-stopper has previously outlined his keenness to represent England, and he has now received the backing of Arsenal manager Wenger. The Spaniard will be eligible to play for England through residency rules next year, and his boss' support follows an excellent penalty save in Saturday's north London derby success. Almunia, who joined The Gunners from Celta Vigo in 2004, has made 22 appearances so far this season after some impressive displays which have forced Jens Lehmann to occupy the substitutes' bench.

And with the England No.1 jersey currently up for grabs, Wenger believes Capello should take advantage of Almunia's emergence as a reliable keeper. "I could only advise you to take advantage of it and call him up for the England squad," he said in The Sun. "Almunia came here without a CV so he had to make a name with his performances. It was not easy because he had to get experience at a big club. "I knew he was good but how could he be Arsenal's keeper? Only by playing. He had never played for a big club before and made some mistakes, but he has gained confidence and calmness. He is a good keeper.

???

Didn't know this. 

Would be stupid not to select him.  He has been excellent this season and is much better than what English keepers are currently offering.

Also, hilariously ironic Wenger is now trying to get foreigners into the England national team.  :iamatwat:

i fail to see what's so special about Almunia, other than the hairdo.. rather have Carson

Ditto.

Almunia has some decent reflex that's all. His savings always look dramatic, good for the audience but really some of them are not that difficult. He does not have the precense, the aura and the assurance a top class keeper radiates.

Call them up, use them so that their Country of birth can never call them up again.

It really doesn't matter whether they get called up again. That's a discussion for future. At least, we secure the option. I always prefer an additional option than no option.

Regards,

Ericz

He's hardly been shit this season. Not a bad keeper, much improved this season. Good reflexes, sometimes a bit too eager to get off his line and not so bad in the air.

Robert Green is being largely ignored. Probably because he has been in an average West Ham side, but he has been one of the best in the league this season. He is a pretty good all round keeper, very few mistakes, solid and a good option IMO.

Do Cudicini and Arteta not qualify on the same basis?

Arteta doesn't yet and I think he'd rather wait to see who the new Spain boss is after Euro 2008 anyway.

Cudicini has always said he isn't interested in playing for England. I remember Almunia saying he would accept a call up as far back as about 18months ago when he used to sit on the bench at Highbury. I don't think he's any better than what we have.

Guest Ebolarama

I don't think he's any better than what we have.

That's as may be, but I'd still call him up to the squad for the upcoming friendly next year, if he's so clearly willing.

I don't think he's any better than what we have.

That's as may be, but I'd still call him up to the squad for the upcoming friendly next year, if he's so clearly willing.

Especially as we are so average in the position at the moment...

No, how stupid would be that be, Spanish nationality playing for England, i don't agree with it one bit. If you're English you play for England, if you're Spanish you play for Spain.

I think he will become a British citizen, hence why he can play for England.

This is scary that this could be even possible. I dont mind one bit about the management situation and nationality, but having players who definitely have no passion for the country is a horrible horrible idea. It would make us an absolute laughing stock. He's not exactly world class, to even begin to warrant such ideas. I remmebr a simialr situaion with Di Canio, and Cudicini but they both said that they wouldnt be interested.

No, how stupid would be that be, Spanish nationality playing for England, i don't agree with it one bit. If you're English you play for England, if you're Spanish you play for Spain.

I know :lol: It's not the point is it? He was born in Spain.

I know :lol: It's not the point is it? He was born in Spain.

And where was Owen Hargreaves born?

Almunia is better than the current sack of shit, so go for it. Nowt to lose.

I'd struggle to place Almunia in the top 10 goalkeepers in the Premiership and to be honest I find it laughable that his name has even been mentioned. I'd rather have Harper, Green, Carson, James or Foster - I'd even prefer Robinson to be honest.