Home and away games

Guest K9

When playing an away game i don't get how it's different to a home game. Managers go for defensive tactics and go for draws etc when away so why don't they do the same at home? Imo managers should go all out for the win away the same as at home

???

Guest Stephen927

Managers generally go more defensive for away games to look for opportunities on the counter.

Plus many managers are wary about how much of a factor the oppositions fans can have, the crowd can often work as a third fan. By playing defensive and keeping the ball, you take the crowd out of the game, in theory.

It's odd isn't it? Even the stone wall fact that there is obviously a significant correlation between results and home advantage is one that doesn't really make a lot of sense. 5000 Newcastle fans away from home make a hell of a lot more noise than Wigan or Fulham ever have at home, so you can't even say it's the crowd that's the dominant factor, though it clearly is one of a number.

Strange phenomenon no matter what the sport.

Managers generally go more defensive for away games to look for opportunities on the counter.

Plus many managers are wary about how much of a factor the oppositions fans can have, the crowd can often work as a third fan. By playing defensive and keeping the ball, you take the crowd out of the game, in theory.

You been loitering around the Riverside Stadium again on matchdays? ;)

Guest Stephen927

You been loitering around the Riverside Stadium again on matchdays? ;)

:lol: :clap:

It's something which has always astounded me. It's still 11 men vs 11 men, they're the same players whether they're at St James Park, or Stamford Bridge. Yet, there's a difference, and also a significant pattern in home and away results.

it could well have a lot to do with confidence,comfort and familiarity of surroundings

Look at Man City though. 7, 8 new players and they're unbeaten at home and yet haven't won in 8 away (until next week obviously).

Course, all of those are clearly factors but I think it's one of life's great mysteries.

it could well have a lot to do with confidence,comfort and familiarity of surroundings

Look at Man City though. 7, 8 new players and they're unbeaten at home and yet haven't won in 8 away (until next week obviously).

Course, all of those are clearly factors but I think it's one of life's great mysteries.

there has been a study done on it. don't know if it's online or even where to satrt looking.

there has been a study done on it. don't know if it's online or even where to satrt looking.

My dissertation tutor, Sandy Wolfson, did one actually: http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article192792.ece

Testosterone levels apparently. Might be something in it. Is testosterone classed as a banned substance if taken as a supplement?

My dissertation tutor, Sandy Wolfson, did one actually: http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article192792.ece

Testosterone levels apparently. Might be something in it. Is testosterone classed as a banned substance if taken as a supplement?

there are far too many jokes in that last bit