Winter break?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest thenorthumbrian

scrap international friendlies and finish the season a month earlier, or they could just try to justify their massive, massive salaries by actually playing football without moaning. im sure most people in part time employment would love a winter break too.

I love it when someone drags out that old argument.  It's not about them not physically being able to play 2 or 3 matches a week, it's about the standard of football you get when they do.  It might be a bit cliched but footballers today are athletes and you wouldn't expect an athlete to put in world class performances every few days while their opponents try and click lumps out of them.

If they were athletes some of them wouldn't be on the piss at 5.30 in the morning at macdonalds scrapping with charvas.

• 2 weeks later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/5312468.stm

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson believes the introduction of a winter break and a later finish to the season would benefit football.

"We had international friendlies at the beginning of June so why can't we play the season until the end of May?" he told club magazine, Inside United.

"The players need to keep going anyway for these internationals.

"But why not start a three-week ban on 1 January and use the whole of May when the weather is better?"

It is not the first time that there have been calls for a winter break but the change has been vetoed as the number of clubs in the Premiership would be reduced and the FA Cup would also be affected.

Several managers, including former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson, have lobbied for it in recent times but Ferguson believes he was one of the first.

"It makes me laugh when managers come out and talk about winter breaks," he added.

"I championed it when I was manager of Aberdeen in 1980 and I did again when I first came down here in 1986.

"And there's still nothing done, it's ridiculous."

Manchester United having a "winter break" in Saudi Arabia at the moment. And they just played a friendly, 2 days after playing a league game. And I expect they earned an absolute fortune for it. Winter break my arse tbh. :hmm: