We'll need to spend close to £100m between now and the end of the summer 2008..

Parky

REAL class players are now £ 20mm - £ 40 mm

AS I said earlier just assembling 15 top4 quality players will cost us  north of £ 100mm - you'd be lucky to salvage 5 or 6 out of teh current squad

It is strange Rob that people haven't realised the inflation that has hit quality player prices.

As I said earlier decent players with good potential now start at 8-10 m.

Good mid-range players of international quality are 10-15m

...and as you say real quality start at 15-20m plus..You're Mascherano etc...

AS I said earlier just assembling 15 top4 quality players will cost us  north of £ 100mm - you'd be lucky to salvage 5 or 6 out of teh current squad

It is strange Rob that people haven't realised the inflation that has hit quality player prices.

yes

Guest LucasUnger

yes

true

yes

true

The difference being Rob's saying we need to spend that to challenge the top 4.  Parky said we need to spend it to challenge West Ham.

If anyone thinks we should be pushing for a top 4 place next season, they're VERY optimistic.

I reckon if we spent £ 100 mm we'd be up there in 2009-10

What of course the Park Meister & I haven't pointed out that we're assuming we don't buy any Souness Specials with  £ 100 mm - you really need to budget for the odd catastrophe

Parky clearly just on the wind up in this thread like.

When someone disagrees he either insults their intelligence or misrepresents their view.

Clearly.

You'd think the people agreeing would be more embarrassed once NE5 started agreeing with him.  :rolleyes:

no. I have quite clearly been correct for a long time, and I'm dead pleased parky is correct too.

And, if the end result of todays events is the club showing real ambition with their own appointed manager, I fully expect to see quite a lot of u-turns from those of the more conservative persuasion - probably the same people who oddly wanted the old board so "splash the cash" all the time, meaning they have done a 360 degree circle of u turns.

i'd like to see cash being splashed if we can afford it (ie ashley spending like abramovich)

i'd not like to see cash being splashed if we cant afford it (ie racking up unsustainable debts)

This si a very very valid point...........  the use of Other People's Money is always wise.........