Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

NE5...the books had to be put in order,the more I see the more I think how bad things were getting financially. I posted as much a while back when you stated that Mna utd et al aren't worried by their debt etc to which I responded that they were turning massive operating profits and we weren't....i don't believe you got back to me on how much debt you thought it was wise for us to carry while not making profits ?

I'm not denying the club needed to slow down, I'm one of the few people who defend them for not going for broke in the summer of 2003 having spent a fortune to qualify in the first place. Yet people complain the club had accumulated debts then say we should have spent money in the summer of 2003 that we didn't have ?

I said I recognised that the ex board had maybe gone as far as they could, which was a long way forward in the end. I recognised that as other clubs have new owners, we possibly needed similar to keep pace. So its up to the new owner to do that. So far, they haven't done it.

It doesn't change the fact that if they don't show the ambition of our rivals, we won't keep up with them, never mind beat them.

surely this quote is contradictory. at one point you say they were right not to spend cos they didn't have the money yet you'll have a go at the new regime for not spending more then fat fred at a time when they debts were a lot higher.

you do like your cake don't you.

not in the slightest. When the new board have shown they have ambition for the club, if they do, like the old board did, then they will get the benefit of the doubt when they make mistakes. Which I have said earlier.

We are in a serious position, do you realise this ? And why do you dispute the reason for it is down to the amount of Johnny average players we brought in last summer, when the chairman quite clearly stated that replacing one player with three of them was "good business".

That attitude is right back to the days of Westwood, McKeag etc mate, and the ridiculous thing is all the people who think that everything the fat b****** did was wrong on account of him eating all the pies or something, including attempting to bring quality players to the club like the trophy winners do, agreed with Morts comments.

Since when has buying mediocre players and operating on budget levels lower than your main rivals ever built successful clubs ?

What a load of crap.

they spent as much on average in the summer as the previous regime and the manager said money was there in january (fee agreed with boro for woodgate) which would have been more in one season than the previous one spent net in the majority of their seasons.

Well, as all the bad buys in the past were all the fault of the fat b******, I presume nothing has changed

i never said that

I've lost count of the number who have, but you do appear to agree with them.

agree with them about what ?

Howay man Leazes, it's more akin to selling Woodgate and saying that was 'good business'.

Selling woodgate probably was, in view of his fitness record and future prospects. I didn't say that if we hadn't got him back it wouldn't have been a good deal by the way, now he appears to have got over his problems.  Its the comments and apparent attitude coming out of the club which I'm commenting on, along with the abysmal dealings of last summer to compound the comments at the time.

Yeah I know what you're arguing but you can't compare last summer to the time under McKeag and Lord Westwood etc. I think they were right to be cautious when you consider Allardyce wasn't the new regime's choice and even more so when you look at what Allardyce bought when he was given (still not inconsiderable) funds. If they're cautious this summer, presuming we stay up, then the criticism would be a valid one imo.

Howay man Leazes, it's more akin to selling Woodgate and saying that was 'good business'.

Selling woodgate probably was, in view of his fitness record and future prospects. I didn't say that if we hadn't got him back it wouldn't have been a good deal by the way, now he appears to have got over his problems.  Its the comments and apparent attitude coming out of the club which I'm commenting on, along with the abysmal dealings of last summer to compound the comments at the time.

Yeah I know what you're arguing but you can't compare last summer to the time under McKeag and Lord Westwood etc. I think they were right to be cautious when you consider Allardyce wasn't the new regime's choice and even more so when you look at what Allardyce bought when he was given (still not inconsiderable) funds. If they're cautious this summer, presuming we stay up, then the criticism would be a valid one imo.

Mort comes across as being a cautious type, he's a bean counter and doesn't know anything about football. He's also Ashleys mouthpiece

I also don't think he has much say in major decisions.

Which is why Ashley is now owner of Newcastle Utd. If Mort the bean counter had counted the beans I don't think we'd have had a new owner.

Slight difference between a plc and one man owning it privately tbf, although I take it you're saying the major shareholder should take the blame for the bad decisions and chairman should get the credit for the funds given to the manager.

I also don't think he has much say in major decisions.

Which is why Ashley is now owner of Newcastle Utd. If Mort the bean counter had counted the beans I don't think we'd have had a new owner.

if Mort had been the bean counter, and we'd bought players like Geremi and assorted free transfers over the years, we may well have been relegated.

Bloody hell, we are in a relegation fight and may end up back to where the Halls and Shepherd rescued us from, as soon as they have gone. Fancy that.

Mort is a lawyer, not a bean counter.

Ashley is to Mort what Hall was to Shepherd, is that what we're saying?  :shifty:

aye, he's a lawyer, attempting to be a bean counter, and even worse, attempting to give the impression he knows how football works.

Ashley is to Mort what Hall was to Shepherd, indeed. I deleted my post but you have phrased it quite nicely mate.

I think Shepherd took most of the beans with him. Maybe hw wanted some to go with the pies  :occasion14:

It would appear he also took some league points with him too.

I think Shepherd took most of the beans with him. Maybe hw wanted some to go with the pies  :occasion14:

He should have shared some with his mate Souness. Some league points and some beans and maybe the two of them wouldn't have found it necessary to boot your idol, Bellamy right out of Newcastle. What a can of beans they made out of that one.

He should have shared some with his mate Souness. Some league points and some beans and maybe the two of them wouldn't have found it necessary to boot your idol, Bellamy right out of Newcastle. What a can of beans they made out of that one.

I see. It escapes your attention that the fat bastard and his mate Bobby also brought my idol, Bellamy, into the club too. Most unlike you to pick out what suits your opinion and discard the rest.

I don't understand your arguement NE5. It seems the club spent the same amount in the summer that it has spent on average over the past 5 years. I was happy with Allardyce and you were very happy yet Sam did buy some crap, you have to admit that, i have! He spent £12m in Barton and Smith. Barton i STILL hold out hope for, Smith is rubbish. Enrique wasn't cheap either. You said there is never a bad time to sack a bad manager. The Board didn't believe in Sam so they sacked him. They appointed KK, which you're happy with, he tried to sign Woodie (for £8m - not cheap) but he wouldn't come. I think KK didn't sign anyone else because of 2 things, he's been out of the game and didn't know who to sign and the players he did know and want wouldn't come.

IMO, the club shouldn't have sacked Sam at that time, and if they were going to, they shouldn't have appointed KK because it's a tall order to expect him to come in after 3 years out and make good purchases.

All this seems clear and logical to me. What am i missing?

I see. It escapes your attention that the fat bastard and his mate Bobby also brought my idol, Bellamy, into the club too. Most unlike you to pick out what suits your opinion and discard the rest.

You missed out the bit about Fat Bastard sacking Robson and bringing in Souness to specifically instil discipline. Which he did by booting Bellamy up the arse and out of Newcastle with Fat Bastard's absolute and unequivocal backing.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:B-XTExGbauyugM:http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/bgr/lowres/bgrn550l.jpg

I see. It escapes your attention that the fat b****** and his mate Bobby also brought my idol, Bellamy, into the club too. Most unlike you to pick out what suits your opinion and discard the rest.

Well then, that makes it perfectly justifiable to sell him then. He did buy him after all. What a silly argument. That about sums up all your other arguments.

I see. It escapes your attention that the fat b****** and his mate Bobby also brought my idol, Bellamy, into the club too. Most unlike you to pick out what suits your opinion and discard the rest.

Well then, that makes it perfectly justifiable to sell him then. He did buy him after all. What a silly argument. That about sums up all your other arguments.

oh dear.

Have you decided whether or not you advocate spending money on quality footballers or not yet, ref your dramatic u-turn ?

Or do you have any consistent view of anything that you find yourself able to stick to that doesn't involve personalities ?

oh dear.

Have you decided whether or not you advocate spending money on quality footballers or not yet, ref your dramatic u-turn ?

Or do you have any consistent view of anything that you find yourself able to stick to that doesn't involve personalities ?

mackems.gif

Well said! Really addressed the point there, bravo!

Personalities have nothing to do with my judgment, in fact, i say the same things over and over again, ive supported all of Shephards decsions, but at the end of the day wen push came to shove, the last 10 years are irrelavant to the current state of the club, you cant seem to accepth that.

I dont know why, i accept that he was part of the great revival of the club, and i understand he brought some good times to this club, but 4 years, thats right, 4 whole years after his best achievement the club is in no better situation than the one he took over. What other business would accept that?

oh dear.

mackems.gif

Personalities have nothing to do with my judgment, in fact, i say the same things over and over again, ive supported all of Shephards decsions, but at the end of the day wen push came to shove, the last 10 years are irrelavant to the current state of the club, you cant seem to accepth that.

I dont know why, i accept that he was part of the great revival of the club, and i understand he brought some good times to this club, but 4 years, thats right, 4 whole years after his best achievement the club is in no better situation than the one he took over. What other business would accept that?

your poor grammar and spelling says everything I'm afraid.

Not to mention that you - and you aren't the only one - who STILL thinks that Shepherd ran the whole club all on his own despite the Halls being the majority shareholders.

Do you also think that Mort runs the whole club and makes all the decisions on his own too  mackems.gif

havent read any of this thread but ashley and mort have never run a football club before, and as such are doing a damn good job i think. even footballing people are going to make mistakes when you are given a new job, but chris mort's gone from being a lawyer to runing one of the biggest football clubs in the world. frankly im just happy not to have fat fred. lets judge mor tand ashley when theyve been doing it a few years, theyll have made mistakes and hopefully learnt from them.

the difference is mort and ashley know how to run a business and are learning how to run a football club

shepherd doesnt even know how to run a car probably

havent read any of this thread but ashley and mort have never run a football club before, and as such are doing a damn good job i think. even footballing people are going to make mistakes when you are given a new job, but chris mort's gone from being a lawyer to runing one of the biggest football clubs in the world. frankly im just happy not to have fat fred. lets judge mor tand ashley when theyve been doing it a few years, theyll have made mistakes and hopefully learnt from them.

the difference is mort and ashley know how to run a business and are learning how to run a football club

shepherd doesnt even know how to run a car probably

silly from start to finish

oh dear.

mackems.gif

your poor grammar and spelling says everything I'm afraid.

Not to mention that you - and you aren't the only one - who STILL thinks that Shepherd ran the whole club all on his own despite the Halls being the majority shareholders.

Do you also think that Mort runs the whole club and makes all the decisions on his own too  mackems.gif

What a stupid little comment to make. I cant believe you're that desperate to score points that you would look at someones english, what a pathetic little man you are.

You should really take a look at what you've just put, its an embaressing statement to make, what are you, 53 years of age? You should really take a look at yourself if you think that that is an acceptable or appropriate comment to make.

And for what its worth, im aware that Shephard doesnt run the club on his own, but it also needs to be said that as the chairman he was the boards representatives to the fans. He has to shoulder the responsibilty of the boards decisions even if they werent his.

Also, isnt a charimans role to recommend things to the board, ie the financial backing of the manager, or the sacking, sale or purchase of a player etc? Can the board act without the chaimens recommendation?