A role for Geremi

TRon

I did say in my first post that stats aren't the be all end all, but when you see that Geremi has featured at CM in 89% of our wins this season, you have to give him another chance in the first team.

yes and no.

he maybe should be given a chance because what we have isn't working,more so than the stats.

Well the stats equally show that Butt isn't working.

not if he played in the games where geremi won aswell. keefaz point is valid about those teams we played with butt and without geremi and it's almost like the rest of the team didn't matter.

tho Butt didn't play as defensive midfielder when he was alongside Geremi, more often than not Geremi sat back and gave Butt licence to go forward and not have to track back and run about as much. Since Butt has moved back to DM he's looked terrible.

he's done his own thing of winning the ball but is now left having to find 40yd passes as no-one wants to take resposiblity creativly.......like when he first came.

i don't think he's that much better than geremi when it comes to winning the ball, what sets them apart is that on the ball butt is s**** and geremi is comfortable. he can spot runs and pick a pass more easily which starts off attacking moves.

i think there is some of the"great when he's out" creeping in here.

definitely not, i was saying this earlier in the season.

So was I. So was James with all his stats in hand back then FWIW.

well you were both wrong then aswell then :razz:

So the stats you use to promote a place for Geremi back in the team, have Butt and Smith as fourth and fifth in the list. Are you saying they should play too?

That stat isn't particularly good on its own, and is only there cos people asked for it.

A better way to look would be to rank number of victories when playing in player's best position, and compare it to the ranking of number of defeats when playing in the same circumstances.

Victories:

Geremi 7

Butt 6

Rozehnal 5

Cacapa 5

Beye 5

N'Zogbia 4

Milner 4

Martins 4

Given 4

Viduka 4

Smith 3

Owen 3

Harper 3

Taylor 2

Enrique 2

Faye 2

Barton 1

Carr 1

Emre 1

Ameobi 1

Duff 0

Ramage 0

Defeats:

Given 11

Butt 11

Milner 10

Beye 9

Taylor 8

Cacapa 7

Owen 7

Duff 7

Faye 7

Martins 6

Barton 5

Smith 5

Enrique 4

Rozehnal 4

Geremi 4

Viduka 4

Carr 3

Harper 3

Emre 2

N'Zogbia 2

Ameobi 2

Ramage 0

Together, we can't really see the effect of the likes of Butt, Cacapa and Beye as they've played through the good and bad in their best position.

We can observe some big changes in ranking. A lot down from victories to defeats shows that we have been losing when they aren't playing in their best position, and a lot upwards from victories to defeats means that losses seem to come when they have come into the team.

Comparing these rankings seems to put Geremi, Harper, Viduka and N'Zogbia in good light, while not looking so good for Given, Taylor, and Duff.