We need to spend £ 150 million..............

Rob W

We're playing catch up. Regardless of what we've spent in the past not spending significantly very soon will see us falling further behind.

People are talking like they never leave the house without an umbrella cause they got rained on once. [HappyFace/]

I never take a brolly because I'm not a ponce.

I've got faith in Keegan's investment nouse, and cut-throat approach to his players (see Andy Cole).

Have you told him you don't want him spending much yet? [ahaahahaaha/]

Every player we have signed over the last few years seems to fail completely.

That's what I was saying earlier.

Any quality signing is dragged into the torpor rather than pulling the squad out of it.  Instill a bit of belief, then make expensive additions to a club on the up.

It's like they say about getting your hair cut, you should always go when it looks it's best.

Is it just about instilling belief? I can't imagine Keegan has been doing anything other than trying frantically to instil belief. What you have to ask yourself is why he's making absolutely no difference to the standard of play now.

"There's something rotten in the state of Denmark..."

In football results are all that matter. KK can say whatever he likes to whoever he likes but it won't do much good until results start coming in to restore concious belief, i.e. in reality. I also reckon a great deal of players at our club have zero faith in one another and when there is no trust or no confidence in those around you, well, you're f***** and that's exactly what has happened to us. It runs deeper of course and other factors have played their part but those are the crux of the problems in my opinion, that and the genuine lack of ability in the ranks.

Get rid of some of the "stars" and get back to basics. To sort the morale issue out, we may very well need to do the unthinkable and get rid of certain players who are seen as the mark of an "ambitious" club. We may need to say goodbye to Given, Owen and others before we can have a hope in hell of righting this ship.

I agree. I love Given but the club's mediocrity has finally sunk it's teeth into him and he's now performing to that level instead of above it like he always used to. A great shame because he's been a great player for us and a great pro. Owen is finished as a top-class player and impairs us a great deal in an attacking sense, he's just not good enough simply and I'd get rid tomorrow.

Thankfully I think KK will do what is necessary and won't be afraid to get rid of anyone. I think in the summer there will be a lot of coming and going and some big shocks in store for people. Fans and players alike.

Do you believe its right to get rid of Owen and Given in the summer? or should we be building a team around these guys and writing off how s**** everyone has been this season?

Get rid would be my vote. Shay's best days for us are behind him, he has far too many bad habits and we need a hungry fresh 'keeper with a whole career ahead of him to cultivate a persona between the sticks for himself. Shay is too died in the wool and too battle weary to become that much needed presence behind the back-four. As for Owen, his only real outstanding quality is his positional instinct which will always enable him to score goals but it will come at a huge expense to the rest of the team, most notably those behind him in midfield who will have to play a very one dimensional game to provide the kind of service that will get goals out of Owen. We need much more, we need mobility, physical presence, pace and stamina. You can't build a team around such players, you can try and accomdate them or include them from time to time but the way I look at is I'd rather see their places taken up by hungry, fresh players with something to prove and gain, players with their whole careers ahead of them. Players who can decide what kind of players they become or the success they can achieve by what they have to do rather than what they've done previously. Shay has had his time where as Owen has wasted his. Time to move on, for club and player.

So let's say Given and Owen go.  Who would you bring in to replace them with? what two players would you want here that we could get, that would fit in and play the style of football you would like us to play?

It's too early for Krul, so I'm assuming were looking to spend big on a keeper too. 

Regarding a replacement for Given, not necessarily no. Someone with different qualities and a different presence between the sticks could make all the difference. Who and how much I don't know. Maybe Harper  can step up and make the position his own.

The same applies to Owen too. We don't have to go out and spend £16m to replace him. Again someone with different qualities and a different presence could make a huge difference. Who and how much, again I don't know. I haven't really thought that much about it.

I think Harper and Given are marking time tbh. Not that either have anything to be ashamed of by the standards of some current Prem GK's but Fraser Forster and Krul look outstanding prospects to me.

We're playing catch up. Regardless of what we've spent in the past not spending significantly very soon will see us falling further behind.

People are talking like they never leave the house without an umbrella cause they got rained on once. [HappyFace/]

I've got faith in Keegan's investment nouse, and cut-throat approach to his players (see Andy Cole).

Judging by the transfer window, he's already on my wavelength.

Have you told him he has to spend £100M in the next window irrespective of the quality of player he can sell the club to?

Have you told him he has to spend £100M in the next window irrespective of the quality of player he can sell the club to?

Reckon he can get us into the top 4 on less?

Nope.

I don't think we'll be in the top 4 next season either though.

Nope.

I doubt anyone thinks we'll be in the top half, unless we start buying some talented players.

Nope.

I doubt anyone thinks we'll be in the top half, unless we start buying some talented players.

I'm still waiting for HF's "winnable games".  :razz:

Don't worry Nicos there should be one or two coming up. :pow:

For me, a "trophy" signing is someone signed by a club acting small but pretending to act big, ie trying to kid the fans they have ambition when they don't. Examples being NUFC when we bougth Keegan as a player, and Peter Withe [although how the f*** bill McGarry managed to persuade him to move here I'll never know]

But doesn't extend as far as a club hovering above relegation spending £150M?

I haven't got a clue what your point is. I think this phrase "trophy player" is f****** stupid and only dreamed up by people aiming to shoot the last chairman for the hideous crime of trying to back his manager to buy quality players.

Which leads on of course to the current situation, and the fact that alll these superior "team" players have left us with a better team.

Of course.

In my opinion, if the club has spent 150m quid [over what time period] then they obviously haven't bought enough of these despicable "trophy" players, because if they did, we would be doing a lot better, like the big 4 who buy these despicable "trophy" players all the time

Ashley, Mort and average players are obviously better though  mackems.gif

For me, a "trophy" signing is someone signed by a club acting small but pretending to act big, ie trying to kid the fans they have ambition when they don't. Examples being NUFC when we bougth Keegan as a player, and Peter Withe [although how the f*** bill McGarry managed to persuade him to move here I'll never know]

I haven't got a clue what your point is. I think this phrase "trophy player" is f****** stupid and only dreamed up by people aiming to shoot the last chairman for the hideous crime of trying to back his manager to buy quality players.

Which leads on of course to the current situation, and the fact that alll these superior "team" players have left us with a better team.

Of course.

In my opinion, if the club has spent 150m quid [over what time period] then they obviously haven't bought enough of these despicable "trophy" players, because if they did, we would be doing a lot better, like the big 4 who buy these despicable "trophy" players all the time

the same average players (or expendature as 03-04,04-05) ?

Of course.

I love the smiley, it removes the need to reply.   :thup:

Of course.

I love the smiley, it removes the need to reply.  :thup:

i hate that smiley now. now and again NE5 does come up with a good point but his use of that smiley is like my older sisters fake gloating laugh when we were kids.

Of course.

Clearly drunk.

If we spend more this Summer than we ever have at any one time before, will NE5 go into hiding?

he'll take into account inflation,check the stat of evary player and slag each one off for not being brilliant

or

climb aboard the bandwagon (begrudgingly)

If we spend more this Summer than we ever have at any one time before, will NE5 go into hiding?

He'll probably just blow the dust off one of his sleeper cell user names and come back as somebody else.

he'll take into account inflation,check the stat of evary player and slag each one off for not being brilliant

or

He'll only conceed in 10 years time when Ashley et al have helped us to finish in the top 10, 4 times. 

or

He'll only conceed in 10 years time when Ashley et al have helped us to finish in the top 10, 4 times. 

you mean  "top4 ,10 times" ?

or

you mean  "top4 ,10 times" ?

I was going to say, i doubt he'd concede on that.