FAO The Yanks

Thespence

• 2 months later...

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/50391

MLS nixes Reading bid for Altidore

Posted: Wednesday May 14, 2008 05:33AM ET

An Insider contact with strong European ties tells me that one German club recently inquired with MLS about Jozy Altidore's transfer availability. The response: Give us $7 million. That club passed, but would others in Europe be willing to fork over serious cash for a young American? Now I am hearing that MLS turned down $8 million from Reading in January and is looking for something in the neighborhood of $10 million. The Reading-Altidore connection is not new, but the dollar figures are.

Lets assume that mess above me was even slightly true.

If Reading could get him, so could we.

10 million US works out to be a bit more than 5 million pounds. 18 years old, already capped three times, 14 in 34 for NY and 1 in 3 for the US. I wonder if we've scouted him.

Not named in the squad to face England, unfortunately.

I worry about the yanks.

They grow up watching the MLS so what chance do they have?! Hardly inspiring stuff.

:lol:

I'm sorry but you really do live on a different planet to everyone else. Much like me I suppose.

Foreign Leagues such as the Premier League are more popular on US television than MLS.

Not unless you get a certain cable provider which has fox sports network from what I remember (I went to university in Philadelphia).

Or Univision.

I'm a gringo and I grew up watching Mexican football.

He's got all the tools to be a top striker.  He could stand to improve his close control to really make an impact at the highest levels, but he's on the right track.  I've watched a number of his matches this season, and I've been a bit concerned at his attitude: A lot of sulking when the ball doesn't come his way, throwing his arms up after bad passes by his teammates, etc.

Guest Gh0StFaC3

At just 18, I suppose he could turn out to be anything.  But I'm very sceptical about American players... they always seem to carry huge reps, only to turn out mediocre at best!

Wasn't Freddy Adu being talked about as the next Pele a year or two ago?

Get Wise & co out there to have a good look at him & see what they think.. although American competition wouldn't exactly be a good test to judge him on IMO.

Having said that, I feel we should be going in for any of our younger transfer targets now, before the Olympics where every scout & his dog will be sniffing around.

Guest JamesD

He's got all the tools to be a top striker.  He could stand to improve his close control to really make an impact at the highest levels, but he's on the right track.  I've watched a number of his matches this season, and I've been a bit concerned at his attitude: A lot of sulking when the ball doesn't come his way, throwing his arms up after bad passes by his teammates, etc.

to be fair, NY has a horrible midfield, so the service is less then decent.

At just 18, I suppose he could turn out to be anything.  But I'm very sceptical about American players... they always seem to carry huge reps, only to turn out mediocre at best!

Wasn't Freddy Adu being talked about as the next Pele a year or two ago?

Adu isn't doing bad at Benfica. 3 in 11 according to Wiki.

• 2 weeks later...

Altidore struggling to handle early success

By Ives Galarcep

Special to ESPNsoccernet

How much is too much for an 18-year-old soccer player to handle? We might be learning just how much from Jozy Altidore.

Icon SMI

Jozy Altidore: Has success gone to his head?

While most kids his age are concerned with things like prom pictures, yearbooks and high school graduation, Altidore is dealing with the type of attention few teenage American players before him have ever had to face. Whether it is being the subject of new transfer rumors on a regular basis, or being anointed as the future of American soccer with fans already penciling him into the starting lineup at the 2010 World Cup, you almost couldn't blame Altidore if he started buying into the hype.

According to some, this has begun to happen.

There are growing concerns that Altidore, labeled mature and humble by most peers and observers throughout his breakout year of 2007, is starting to get caught up in his own press clippings. A slow start and dip in form in MLS action had been attributed to fatigue, but insiders believe something else is going on.

"He hasn't been the same Jozy, something is different," a Red Bulls source said. "He's someone who would always work hard in practice and be willing to listen to people. He's definitely changed and you wonder if everything is just getting to his head."

When Altidore rejoined the Red Bulls this year after extensive national team duty and looked lethargic in practice, most observers believed it was the effects of a heavy schedule of activity over the past year. As the weeks and months have gone by, Altidore has looked more and more like a distracted player.

How could he not be? With clubs from Real Madrid to Villarreal to Newcastle (???) being linked to him, and reports placing his price tag at what would be an MLS-record $10 million, Altidore has far more to think about than most MLS players, let alone most teenagers.

"He's a kid with a lot on his mind," said a source close to Altidore who requested anonymity. "You start hearing about clubs that want you, and about how good you are, and pretty soon you believe it and it affects how you train and how you play."

While such behavior might be understandable for someone Altidore's age, it still isn't acceptable for a pro athlete, regardless of age.

Depending on whom you ask, Altidore's focus and effort in training might have had more to do with his exclusion from the Red Bulls' starting lineup in last week's 5-1 loss to the Chicago Fire than any injury. Red Bulls head coach Juan Carlos Osorio would say only that the team's policy is that players who miss multiple days of training do not make the starting lineup.

"Everybody knows the rules on this team and the rules are if you want to play on Sunday then you have to train Thursday, Friday and Saturday," Osorio said. "That was not the case with Josmer, who had a problem with his ingrown toenails and he just didn't train and I didn't think it was appropriate for him to play."

Osorio also downplayed rumors that there is a growing rift between him and Altidore, with sources close to the team claiming that Osorio has been openly critical of Altidore's training habits and commitment to the team.

"There's absolutely no problems with Josmer," Osorio said. "I think he's very good player and I think his future is as bright as he wants it to be.

"When he is in good form and good shape he will be playing for us," Osorio said. "There is no question about that."

If Altidore is indeed falling victim to the distractions of an impending summer transfer, he wouldn't be the first MLS player to do so. Players ranging from Clint Mathis to Clint Dempsey to Freddy Adu have all seen their performance affected and form dip amidst transfer speculation and the distractions that come with being considered the next big thing in American soccer.

Altidore's dip in form doesn't appear to have gone unnoticed by U.S. national team coach Bob Bradley, who has yet call in Altidore for any of the U.S. team's recent high-profile friendlies. While conflicts with his MLS schedule are part of the reason Altidore wasn't called in for the England or Spain friendlies, his form this MLS season is also a likely reason why he is expected to be called in for only the United States' friendly against Argentina at Giants Stadium on June 8.

So is Altidore letting the pressure of expectations and the glare of stardom distract him to the point of affecting his play? Or is he just an 18-year-old being an 18-year-old, rebelling and testing boundaries as he transitions from mature kid to grown man?

Ask most observers who know Altidore and they will bet on him maturing into a solid professional. There have been too many stories of teammates and coaches being impressed with his maturity, intelligence and respect for the game not to feel that this is just a passing phase.

The Red Bulls and the U.S. national team had better hope that's the case because there are enough stories of unfulfilled potential to fill any stadium in the world. If Altidore fails to live up to his potential because of ego or poor work ethic, it would be one of the true tragedies American soccer has ever seen.

How much is too much for an 18-year-old soccer player to handle? Here is hoping Jozy Altidore doesn't find out.

Guest NUFC4

seen jozy play a number of time in MLS and with the US national team be it under 21s or full international.  he's a good talent, strong and pacy with good skills in the air.  however he's extremely raw and needs work with his passing, foot skills and consistency.  it may be worth a go but i would imagine he'd have to play for 3 years in reserve or out on loan to championship sides before he'd come close to holding down a regular place at NUFC.

Guest JamesD

Damn, now NY has a shitty defense, midfield, and attack. Hope he does well there. For him to be just a mediocre striker in europe would be an accomplishment.