How physically fit are footballers?

Karjala

Guest johnnyappleseed

Basketball, I would say, requires a lot more fitness. You're always in play.

Just a shame it isn't a real sport.

Why?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/38/386129.jpg

He can barely move around the court but could become one the most effective basketball players ever, simply because he is 7'7" tall.

how can you say something like that when he doesn't play in the nba and never will. he plays for unc-asheville and has no athletic ability. you may no about him because he's a freak show, not because he has a future in the nba. athletic ability on yao's level is what's needed for someone taller than 7'5" to be successful in the nba.

Guest float one in

A Beardsley may be considered a luxury.

He sometimes was considered a luxury by a few people throughout his career, namely Bobby Robson.

He sometimes was considered a luxury by a few people throughout his career, namely Bobby Robson.

And Kenny Dalglish.

HTT................A rob lee would more than survive today, how, because of his movement. you think the game now is massivly different, i don't see it. a bit quicker granted but no sciesmic changes. you say a 6'2 would eat up a juninho type player now as if viera or keane didn't exist then.

as for temas being pretty ordinary to watch outside of man utd and arsenal..who was good to watch when we finished 2nd twice ?...us and man utd (even that 2nd time we were very hit and miss). when we langushed under guillit how many teams were good to watch.

tell you what portsmouth's away early performances were very good (not just up here),villa on occasion can be good to watch when young and agbonlahor are firing.

i agree that we aren't getting as many kids through because they aren't playing as much as we did.

Tottenham have been in about half a dozen 6 goal games. they are also very good to watch.

No English team in the early 90's would come near to the skill of a Man Utd. and Arsenal.

Guest float one in

And Kenny Dalglish.

Aye, thats true. He must have thought all his Christmases came at once when KK brought him back from Everton, as he knew he was going to be appreciated. I remember a quote from Keegan from not long after he signed him, where he said something like he'd never known a player give up so much (ie take a massive cut in salary) to move to a club he wanted to play for.

Seem to remember Terry Mac gave up 3 years of a much bigger contract at Liverpool so he could come back in the early eighties as well.

Guest float one in

Incidentally, Robson only played him in Mek-ee-ko '86 because Mark Hately got injured iirc.

Sounds about right.

I read a book a few years ago called 'All Played Out: The Inside Story of Italia 90'. Absoutely brilliant book, and it is pretty revealing about some of Robson's tactics and selections while he was England manager. Beardsley hardly gets a mention in the whole book, apart from when Waddle was going on about all the talented ball players England had, and how they weren't being used to their potential. Its easily the best sports book I've ever read.

Robson was pretty conservative back then at least. You get the feeling he wasn't 100% sure about playing Gascoigne even.

Milner

His pace is deceptive.

He's slower than he looks.

Don't really need pace for the beep-test iirc. most could do the last level if they hadn't done everyone up til that

Guest float one in

Robson was pretty conservative back then at least. You get the feeling he wasn't 100% sure about playing Gascoigne even.

Aye, iirc he thought Gazza was a bit of a loose cannon till he tore some team apart in the run up to the World Cup (maybe Czeckoslavakia?), and that cemented his place in the team.

Aye, iirc he thought Gazza was a bit of a loose cannon till he tore some team apart in the run up to the World Cup (maybe Czeckoslavakia?), and that cemented his place in the team.

Might have been the Czechs. Remember the game, friendly at Wemberley I think.