Gretna

ross magoo

I care. I sincerly hope they'll survive, that ground share is killing them tohugh.

Even if they played at home infront of crowds of 2,000 how would they pay off millions of pounds of debt? It's ridiculous the way the club has been run and they'll be dead before the weekend.

The fans don't seem to care, I haven't heard a single one pipe up about this.  ???

Gretna don't have millions of pounds worth of debt. The debt is fairly small (a couple of hundred thousand if that) but the problem is the club hasn't been run like a business and is currently structured in a way that it would make losses, which was fine while they had a millionaire backer pumping money in. As soon as that money gets taken away the losses start to build up and the shit hits the fan.

They owe 800k to Rowan Alexander (ex manager 1)

100k to Davie Irons (ex manager 2)

70k in rent to Motherwell

350k to the inland revenue

And that's just public knowledge. They make losses of over £1m every year.

Guest Brazilianbob

What a bunch of selfish, self centred, basta*ds some of you lot are.  The halo of football loving NUFC fans has well and truly slipped.

Gretna has had a fairytale rise from the obscurity of English non league football, to the heady heights of the Scottish PL and now as they look like going out of existence, never mind business, you lot couldn't give a flying f*ck.  Its no wonder other fans delight in the NUFC demise.

There's nothing fairytale about spending beyond your means, buying other clubs best players with money you haven't got with no backup plan for WHEN you go bust. Gretna are the Chelsea of Scotland and hated by everyone.

Guest Brazilianbob

There's nothing fairytale about spending beyond your means, buying other clubs best players with money you haven't got with no backup plan for WHEN you go bust. Gretna are the Chelsea of Scotland and hated by everyone.

Oh sorry! I didn't realise you were on the board of Gretna and were party to their long term financial plans.

Having said that, I suppose NUFC would be in the same boat if Ashley was suddenly struck down by a life threatening illness.  Quite worrying that, still I'm sure we will get a lot of sympathy from the Gretna fans after the concern we have shown for their plight. 

Oh sorry! I didn't realise you were on the board of Gretna and were party to their long term financial plans.

Having said that, I suppose NUFC would be in the same boat if Ashley was suddenly struck down by a life threatening illness.  Quite worrying that, still I'm sure we will get a lot of sympathy from the Gretna fans after the concern we have shown for their plight. 

i think the dislike of them from other Scottish clubs fans is that when other clubs came up with below standard stadiums they were given Grants/loans? to renovate them and were made to do it as soon as the season in the premiership started, however Gretna didn't and used a lot of that cash for players etc and never spent anything on the stadium as they were near enough down from day one.

Its a shame for the owner as seems a good guy, and there true fans however id seriusly doubt there was more than a mini bus full of people that would be gutted if they closed the doors forever.

Actually do care, what they did in the last few years was not easy..shame to see them go down this way + aren't they the ones playing all those behind closed doors friendly with us, surley Ashley can give them a bit of money to help out..

Why should he? If Gretna had lived within their means they wouldn't be in this position. IF they survive they should go back to paying part-time wages and if they want to progress do it the right way, like every other small club in Scotland has to do.

I would be a bit pissed off if Ashley pumped a bit of cash into Gretna to help keep them up in their false position, whilst part time clubs like Berwick, Alloa, Cowdenbeath and Forfar have to fight for survival every season with help from loyal fans selling half-time tickets, handing leaflets out to get people to go to games and devoting their own time preparing the stadium and things just to help keep the club going.

There are far more deserving non-league clubs in the north-east than giving money to Gretna.

Guest toonlass

What a bunch of selfish, self centred, basta*ds some of you lot are.  The halo of football loving NUFC fans has well and truly slipped.

Gretna has had a fairytale rise from the obscurity of English non league football, to the heady heights of the Scottish PL and now as they look like going out of existence, never mind business, you lot couldn't give a flying f*ck.   Its no wonder other fans delight in the NUFC demise.

Cheers mate, tar us all with the same brush. Even though you have said some of our fans(at the start) by the end of your post you have labelled us all heartless bastards, cheers!

Guest toonlass

I used to like Gretna last season, when Kenny Deucher (sp) was banging them in every week  :lol:

What ever happened to him ?

Went to America to play "soccer" about 4 weeks ago.

Gretna has had a fairytale rise from the obscurity of English non league football, to the heady heights of the Scottish PL and now as they look like going out of existence, never mind business, you lot couldn't give a flying f*ck.   Its no wonder other fans delight in the NUFC demise.

Cheers mate, tar us all with the same brush. Even though you have said some of our fans(at the start) by the end of your post you have labelled us all heartless bastards, cheers!

You're only a heartless bastard when it comes to Michael Owen.

Guest toonlass

You're only a heartless bastard when it comes to Michael Owen.

Ooooh get you!

I am not heartless man, I just think he needs to get his head straight and score some fucking goals, not much to ask from a striker is it?

Guest toonlass

I am not heartless man

You are heartless woman.

Why have you not updated your sig yet. Alan Smith still rated as 5, are you not watching the games?

I am not heartless man

You are heartless woman.

Why have you not updated your sig yet. Alan Smith still rated as 5, are you not watching the games?

Everyone has been poor, but you've got to take fixture difficulty into account.

All resumes on Monday night.

Guest Toepoke

Gretna has had a fairytale rise from the obscurity of English non league football, to the heady heights of the Scottish PL and now as they look like going out of existence, never mind business, you lot couldn't give a flying f*ck.   Its no wonder other fans delight in the NUFC demise.

Really? The fact is Gretna have made an absolute mockery of Scottish football. They have absolutely no support, their team is crap, they aren't even playing at their own ground. They should never have been allowed in the league in the first place, there are junior clubs that draw far higher clubs than Gretna. St Johnstone or Dundee didn't get up because of gretna they would have been an asset to the SPL. They will not be missed by anyone up here hopefully they finish the season so they don't fuck up everyone elses seasons, good riddance.

Guest Brazilianbob

It really cracks me up reading the views on this thread about how Gretna have been effectively living beyond their means and spending money they don't have.  All very pompous if you ask me.  I bet every single person who has criticised Gretna for going into debt, has a credit card with a fair wedge owing on it.  Isn't that called living beyond your means and spending money you don't have.  Whats that expression?  Oh yes!  "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".