No advantage in Yurop in playing at home last

Rob W

Article in the Times - up until 10 years ago there was a significant advantage in playing the second leg of a Yuropean game at home - about 8-10% more chnace of a win

Now it's v close to no difference - within the margin of error of the stats

Guest guinness_fiend

That is actually quite interesting.

Perhaps "back in the day," when there were not so many glory hunters, the home crowds gave their club *real* support (rather than polite clapping)*.  Nowadays, I can imagine that many of the English European contenders (at least) are supported by equally as many fair weather fans as true ones, taking the edge off the atmosphere at home games and thereby not exactly doing much to encourage their team.

* I know that the "golden years" argument is flawed, but it makes for a tidy forum-friendly comparison!

Perhaps "back in the day," when there were not so many glory hunters, the home crowds gave their club *real* support (rather than polite clapping)*.  Nowadays, I can imagine that many of the English European contenders (at least) are supported by equally as many fair weather fans as true ones, taking the edge off the atmosphere at home games and thereby not exactly doing much to encourage their team.

This isn't really true in European latter stages, especially in England.

Guest guinness_fiend

This isn't really true in European latter stages, especially in England.

There is no proof either way, as provided you are a club member you stand a good chance of getting tickets. 

I would be interested to read a study on why home advantage does not seem to count for squat nowadays (i.e. "Is it the increase in numbers of the glory supporter?"  "Is it the legions of foreign players who only have a fleeting loyalty to their current club?")