The way we play or try to play

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

That's not down to confidence, well it is in part, but we aren't suddenly playing like that because of a few good results as some pundits and one or two commentary pieces today were claiming. No, the way we play is down to training ground work and KK's philosophies which are starting to sink in. Without wanting to go overboard our football is completely different to how it has been for years and from Big Sam to this, a complete transformation. We may not play it too well at times, but the intent and ideas are there, from back to front, front to back. Players under duress try to pass it, dribble it from danger or will hold onto it and wait for support. Each game the movement, communication and accuracy is improving, wavelengths are being developed. When our players are on the ball, the first thing they do is look forward, rather than sideways or backwards, and the ball is always being turned around and switched. This is classic Kevin Keegan philosophy and despite a rather boring game and a nil-nil affair, I enjoyed our football today, or the way we tried to play it. It WILL only get better.

You can tell instantly the lads must be working hard on their passing game in training and it shows. I can only imagine under Big Sam we were practising percentage games, winning second balls and set pieces.

Guest Knightrider

You can tell instantly the lads must be working hard on their passing game in training and it shows. I can only imagine under Big Sam we were practising percentage games, winning second balls and set pieces.

Under Sam it was drill drill drill type training I believe, which has it's place and no doubt does work with the right players, it did with Bolton for example, but if you're looking to improve technique, patterns of play, passing, movement, understanding and decision making SSGs are the best practice. What I worry is that organisation, discipline and structure (drill type training needed for such things) may suffer, especially as we advance in terms of our style and attacking prowess. Confidence, belief and team spirit can hold even the most ragged of teams together pretty well, but only for so long. Hopefully we'll find a balance which I believe we will. Houghton and the other coaching staff will be that balance or their work will lead to it.

Guest Knightrider

Btw, small sided practice sessions are what Man Utd and Arsenal mainly have their players doing and it's something KK was schooled in at Liverpool who invented a good number of SSGs.

I'm not a coach, but from what I understand small-sided games in which you overload attack or defence (i.e. 3 v 6 or whatever) can be just as beneficial as more rigid training especially when you can bring a halt to a game at certain times and pinpoint where players are going wrong after they concede or right when they score.

Guest Knightrider

I'm not a coach, but from what I understand small-sided games in which you overload attack or defence (i.e. 3 v 6 or whatever) can be just as beneficial as more rigid training especially when you can bring a halt to a game at certain times and pinpoint where players are going wrong after they concede or right when they score.

There are millions of small side games to pick and choose from so you're right. The beauty with SSGs is you can easily progress them and mix them up. We'll still need good old fashioned drill practices though.

Guest Knightrider

Anyone noticed how the defence just looks much stronger, and how much less pressure they are under these days? Not a coincidence of confidence either.

Guest sicko2ndbest

SSGs are one of the best ways to stay at the top of match fitness. Condensed games where movement is premium to success. Mourinho used to have timed SSGs where every one would have to be constantly on the move for 2-3 minutes.

I also think that shadow 11v11 games have had a big influence. We are very comfortable with this system now and everyone knows their role.

Also every getty image seems to show the old school relay races every week, dribble through the cone and back to your team before the next person goes. Always good for morale.

Does that qualify has hard O0

Under Sam it was drill drill drill type training I believe

From what I have read in the press & herd there wasn't a lot off football being done at all. Meetings, analysis, fitness test, heart monitoring etc.

I remembers Shaun Custis comments not long after KK was returned "The 5-A-sides are back"

Anyone noticed how the defence just looks much stronger, and how much less pressure they are under these days? Not a coincidence of confidence either.

in a nutshell

Guest Knightrider

From what I have read in the press & herd there wasn't a lot off football being done at all. Meetings, analysis, fitness test, heart monitoring etc.

I remembers Shaun Custis comments not long after KK was returned "The 5-A-sides are back"

The same things Man Utd and Arsenal do, Ajax and Barcelona (small sided games), is it a coincidence those sides tend to be the better footballing sides?!

The same things Man Utd and Arsenal do, Ajax and Barcelona (small sided games), is it a coincidence those sides tend to be the better footballing sides?!

Ticking the right boxes: Ferdinand's favourite

The first 15 minutes of training are spent on spinning bikes. The players get the blood pumping through their legs inside the wooden-sprung training hall before filtering out on to the first-team training pitch. Once outside, the first drill is usually one of the players' favourites: "boxes".

The squad is split into a junior and senior group and then two members of each group are enclosed by the rest, rather predictably in a box shape. The duo's aim is to win the ball, while the remainder must keep it from them with one-touch passing.

"I love going out and doing boxes - it's the best part about training," says Rio Ferdinand. "I think 90% of the lads would agree. If Carlos changes the training session around and tells us we're not doing boxes, I go bananas. I need to do a box to start the day off on a good vibe.

"Scholesy is probably the best at boxes. His awareness and touch is always spot-on. I was shocking in my first season at the club. I felt more pressure in that box than I did walking out at Old Trafford. After the first year I got used to it and I'd say I'm all right at it now."

"Scholesy and Giggsy are probably the best at boxes," adds Darren Fletcher. "They've been at the club for such a long time, so they've got the experience of doing it every day for years - they know the ins and outs of it. When you go into their box, which is the older box, it really is a step up and the play is a lot quicker. It's a good exercise, there is a lot of mickey-taking mainly because all the lads will try and nutmeg each other. We get some great little passing routines going and we've got up to around 30 passes in the past."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2220079,00.html