Being a feeder club

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would people on here be agreeable to the idea of the following deal with the likes of Real Madrid or Barcelona?:

We get 1 or 2 of their U23's on a season long loan. The club gives us a shortlist of players available, and we take our pick.

We can swap the players in January if they flop.

We have to have the players in our 18-man squad when fit.

We get first option on all of their U23's if any come up for sale.

They get £1m a season.

They get first option on all of our players.

Guest hodsgod

It's not much of a status is it? Feeder club for Barcelona.

NUFC gets to buy their castoffs and they get to buy anyone they want, and NUFC pay for the honour.

Hell of a dream!

Can those who voted no please explain why, as I can't see much wrong with having some prospects in our team for a season with a chance of signing them permanently further down the line.

It's not much of a status is it? Feeder club for Barcelona.

NUFC gets to buy their castoffs and they get to buy anyone they want, and NUFC pay for the honour.

Hell of a dream!

Foolish pride.

Think of some of those castoffs who can't get a game ahead of Messi despite their potential. Check them out on loan for a year and get a sort of emotional grip on the player. At the end of the loan, the player realises that they need to leave Barca to progress and so is happy to sign for us permanently.

No.

I have yet to see an English club benefit from being a feeder/have working relationship with a bigger club. The Charlton & Inter thing failed, I am sure West Brom had one in place that did nowt. Man Utd/Royal Antwerp link up is the one I think that has lasted the course of time & had benefits to both clubs.

Also whatever happened with Man U & New York Yankees link up?

Can those who voted no please explain why, as I can't see much wrong with having some prospects in our team for a season with a chance of signing them permanently further down the line.

It's unambitious. 10 years ago we were pretty much even with Man Utd; at least challenging them for the title. 10 years later and they're arguably as big a club (or bigger) than Barcelona. Who's to say that 10 years from now we won't be challening in that echelon? To be a feeder club is a short-termist view for a club looking to get back into the Champions League in a few years. We're not some 2nd division club with no money.

what happens when/if we manage to unearth a gem?

I assume you mean a player we've bought or developed ourselves?

In that case Barca would have to pay through the nose for him, as their only entitlement is to be at the front of the negotiations queue. Would stop the player going to Manyoo or Arsenal.

Would make more sense for us to have a feeder club in Belgium/Holland so we can park non-EU nationals there when we buy them thus allowing us to go for South American talent. I know this is what Chelsea/PSV did with Alex.

Öh

this was the worst idea I have ever read. Every time we buy a player that are good they will take them. We will play there youngsters and if they are good they will take them back. if they aren´t - to bad for us.

I don´t see anything good about this. I´m rather do what we are doing now even if we at the start will struggle to bring the best.

Developing youngsters for other clubs (Rossi) a hell of a dream!

Would make more sense for us to have a feeder club in Belgium/Holland so we can park non-EU nationals there when we buy them thus allowing us to go for South American talent. I know this is what Chelsea/PSV did with Alex.

agree.

a club that have ambitions can´t bee a feeder club. if we where Sunderland or Reading or something. they maybe. still I would be very sceptical.

It's unambitious. 10 years ago we were pretty much even with Man Utd; at least challenging them for the title. 10 years later and they're arguably as big a club (or bigger) than Barcelona. Who's to say that 10 years from now we won't be challening in that echelon? To be a feeder club is a short-termist view for a club looking to get back into the Champions League in a few years. We're not some 2nd division club with no money.

These agreements don't have to last for ever. I'd expect such a deal to end as soon as we became competitive with Barca.

In the meantime, it could help us bring players to the club that we couldn't otherwise sign.

These agreements don't have to last for ever. I'd expect such a deal to end as soon as we became competitive with Barca.

In the meantime, it could help us bring players to the club that we couldn't otherwise sign.

Such as?

No.

I have yet to see an English club benefit from being a feeder/have working relationship with a bigger club. The Charlton & Inter thing failed, I am sure West Brom had one in place that did nowt. Man Utd/Royal Antwerp link up is the one I think that has lasted the course of time & had benefits to both clubs.

Also whatever happened with Man U & New York Yankees link up?

The main weaknesses with previous deals is that management and scouts didn't know what they were getting. Real and Barcelona have huge reserve squads compiled of youngsters, and a handful of these despite being nowhere near the first team will become quality first team players at other clubs. By scouting this pool thoroughly, we could pick up the elite youngsters whom Barcelona would want millions for despite not having the intentions to play these players.

Where have you been man!!!! Barca are fucking clueless with kids contracts Pique & Cesc prove this.  Real Madrid dont have a recent record of youngsters coming through there ranks.

Barca tend to bring there kids through early enough anyway without having to farm them out, plus they have Barca B to get them competitive football. Barca players also play the same system for when they join the club at school to when they play for the first team so sending them out on loan would not let this system progress.

Such as?

Granero, on loan at Getafe having spent a few years stuck in reserve sides. He'd cost £10m, and could be a quality PL player, only having him on loan would have allowed us to have a look to make sure.

The main weaknesses with previous deals is that management and scouts didn't know what they were getting. Real and Barcelona have huge reserve squads compiled of youngsters, and a handful of these despite being nowhere near the first team will become quality first team players at other clubs. By scouting this pool thoroughly, we could pick up the elite youngsters whom Barcelona would want millions for despite not having the intentions to play these players.

Are just saying that or do you know that to be the case?

Where have you been man!!!! Barca are fucking clueless with kids contracts Pique & Cesc prove this.  Real Madrid dont have a recent record of youngsters coming through there ranks.

Can't offer a professional contract in Spain until they're 18 whereas here you can, therefore players can get big money moving at an early age which they couldn't get if they stay put.

Guest optimistic nit

what happens when/if we manage to unearth a gem?

I assume you mean a player we've bought or developed ourselves?

In that case Barca would have to pay through the nose for him, as their only entitlement is to be at the front of the negotiations queue. Would stop the player going to Manyoo or Arsenal.

on fm maybe. i have a feeling in the real world it may be slightly different.

i dont see why we are paying them to be our parent club either.

Where have you been man!!!! Barca are f****** clueless with kids contracts Pique & Cesc prove this.  Real Madrid dont have a recent record of youngsters coming through there ranks.

Can't offer a professional contract in Spain until they're 18 whereas here you can, therefore players can get big money moving at an early age which they couldn't get if they stay put.

So why arse on borrowing them when we can just nab them.

Are just saying that or do you know that to be the case?

What I really meant was that they were expected to pick from a smaller pool, and in Charlton's case got Sorondo, whereas we'd be given a more flexible choice given that we had access (and exclusive scouting priveliges) to their significant pool of youngsters.

All this talk about not paying too much for an unproven non-British youngster, you'd think that it would be a good opportunity to see if some of these youngsters were worth splashing out on.....