Newcastle United's international representation compared to other clubs

James

Isn't that biased towards the bigger clubs?

Just checking from soccerbase but Man Utd had only 21 players who play a 'significant' (my definition) amount of games last season.

Generally, your method is sound. There are a few unavoidable flaws, but the rankings do make intuitive sense.

It'd be better if you could give each player in the national squad points to a 'degree' i.e. if they started 80%+ of games in the past 2 years, you give them the full points total, 60-80%, you downgrade the points a bit etc. In this way you'll be able to incorporate how 'important' each player is for their national team and that should be a good way of measuring their 'quality'. If you know what I mean.

That was my original thinking, and if I was getting paid to do this that would have been how I'd chosen to do it.

Still may do this for PL teams only, that would be a good comparison.

My main intention though was to make a crude point that we have very few players in our team currently playing at the highest level.

Silva Brazil 1518

Fabregas Spain 1323

Lehmann Germany 1264

Rosicky Czech Republic 1244

Gallas France 1205

van Persie Holland 1123

Walcott England 1098

Eduardo Croatia 1044

Song Cameroon 1005

Vela Mexico 988

Toure Ivory Coast 870

Eboue Ivory Coast 870

Appologies.  I thought you only meant their start XI's.

Still shows the serious flaws in the idea though when most of those aren't Arsenal regulars and yet 5 of their first team score 0 points.

Effectively you're saying you're better off having a team full of Americans than Cliche's, Hleb's or Adebayor's.

• 3 years later...

Don't have the time to update this but there is probably clear improvement from us.

3 players at the Euros.

4 others represented their country at the most recent tournament.

One fringe international who is U21 captain.

And that excludes Coloccini.

I was thinking about all our internationals in the shower, thought I'd mentioned something about lack of internationals last year and found an insane thread from 4 years ago today so had to be updated.

Guest Tyson

Too many dominant clubs (from insular & substandard leagues, who hoard alot of a nation's domestic talent) on that list. These are the European minors who are essentially the feeder clubs of the league's parent nation, and these are nations that bear little consequence on the international stage.

Beitar Jerusalem (as a major provider of Israeli talent to their n.t) is the most obvious one.