Those criticising KK for resigning

Guest Howaythetoon

To be honest, a lot of what Saltspringer has said is true. Football is no longer a sport but a business and most top clubs are running their clubs like a busness. Up until the Ashley era, we were run by a second rate business man whose business acumen almost took the club to the very brink of closure. If it were not for Ashley, we might not be supporting NUFC now.

His ideas of management teams working together in order to stablize what was a sinking ship, has virtually put the club back on an even keel in a short time.

Yes, we still are paying off debt from the previous administration and probably will be for 2 or 3 more years yet. I dont think Keegan could handle the fact that established players like Hnry, Lampard, Ronaldinho etc were well out of our reach at present and the fact that there would be no sale on money coming in would just put the club back to where it started pre Ashley.

In essence, Keegan wanted instant success, megapounds to spend just like last time and when he was denied this, that is when he came out with the comment after the Chelsea game that he couldnt get the club into the top 4. That was when the rot set in because it is clear proof to the current administration that Keegan could not build a team from young players over a number of years, into a challenging top 4 team.

Patience is a virtue, so they say, but Keegan had very little of this and his niavety at the current business world of football was there for all to see. He wanted instant success but we are not owned by arab billionaires who can afford the best players in the world. Unfortunately, Keegan couldnt see this and wasnt willing to work within the framework the club admionistration had established.

We now have to look ahead fior a manager who clearly understands the current mode of football management and can blend into the administration as a member of a team and not spout off like a spoilt brat when he doesnt get his own way.

Agree with this on the face of it.

The thing that concerns me that nobody has yet mentioned is this: If, as many say, you could see this coming and we always knew what Keegan was like, and that there was a certain inevitability about it all.....Why couldn't Ashley see it too?

To me it just seems indicative of Ashley's lack of any real understanding of football, and NUFC in particular.

Many here blame Keegan for what's happened over the last week, but it's directly down to Ashley's complete ignorance of football that we've ended up here. If he was going to run the club in a continental style, DOF et al, then it's pretty obvious to most that Keegan wasn't the right manager to bring in to this setup.

Either way, however you look at it, this has been a monumental screw up by Ashley. He's obviously lost most of the fans and I seriously doubt that he'll get them back again. He can kiss goodbye to his away games with the toon army, and I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with a man who can make such catastrophic errors of judgement in charge of this club.

well put.

casting side any arguments about who was right or wrong in the past few days, and getting back to the more traditional criteria with which one judges a chairman or owner, you have to ask - did they appoint the right man?

in this case, they got it wrong, not because Keegan is a bad manager (he's not) but because he wasn't suited to the method of management the club went on to introduce. He tried to change this, they refused, and now it leaves the club in a difficult position, with any incoming manager knowing they won't be the man in charge. Like Keegan, they may take the job in the hope that they can change the structure from within, but if they do we'll simply have a repeat of this exact situation in a year's time.

if the club must go with this style of management, they mustnow go for someone who they are absolutely, 100% sure is fine with the system in place, which won't be the easiest task.

The thing that concerns me that nobody has yet mentioned is this: If, as many say, you could see this coming and we always knew what Keegan was like, and that there was a certain inevitability about it all.....Why couldn't Ashley see it too?

To me it just seems indicative of Ashley's lack of any real understanding of football, and NUFC in particular.

Many here blame Keegan for what's happened over the last week, but it's directly down to Ashley's complete ignorance of football that we've ended up here. If he was going to run the club in a continental style, DOF et al, then it's pretty obvious to most that Keegan wasn't the right manager to bring in to this setup.

Either way, however you look at it, this has been a monumental screw up by Ashley. He's obviously lost most of the fans and I seriously doubt that he'll get them back again. He can kiss goodbye to his away games with the toon army, and I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with a man who can make such catastrophic errors of judgement in charge of this club.

well put.

casting side any arguments about who was right or wrong in the past few days, and getting back to the more traditional criteria with which one judges a chairman or owner, you have to ask - did they appoint the right man?

in this case, they got it wrong, not because Keegan is a bad manager (he's not) but because he wasn't suited to the method of management the club went on to introduce. He tried to change this, they refused, and now it leaves the club in a difficult position, with any incoming manager knowing they won't be the man in charge. Like Keegan, they may take the job in the hope that they can change the structure from within, but if they do we'll simply have a repeat of this exact situation in a year's time.

if the club must go with this style of management, they mustnow go for someone who they are absolutely, 100% sure is fine with the system in place, which won't be the easiest task.

Two very fair points, with Ashley's inexperience with running a football club I can't blame him too much for the way KK conflicted with his system. That's the sort of thing you might be able to play down in the excitement of hiring him.

At least from now on he will know that whoever he brings in will have to be prepared to work with the system and fully pre-warned.

If that happens we might actually be better off than with Keegan.

Guest barnabox

Principles are important but sometimes you also have to look at the bigger picture and one should only stand by his principles if the consequences are immaterial.   

They would hardly be very strong principles if you only stand by them when there are no significant consequences would they?